GAS is back! VM Jazzmaster!

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by Caddy, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Caddy

Caddy Squier-holic

I have been reading about the Squier VM Jazzmasters over on the Surf Guitar forum. This is giving me major GAS. I have been GAS free since I got my Agile AL (LP copy) last spring.

As I have mentioned in the past, I bought a new SB Fender Jazzmaster right after HS graduation in 1965. Great guitar! However, sold it in the early 70's. Needed cash raising four young sons alone. Have regretted that ever since. Squier has come out with a couple similar models in the past, but either the color was wrong, or they didn't have the trem, etc. I want sunburst and the trem. I know they don't have the mute and the trem lock. I can live without that. Never used them on the Fender.

These new Jazzmasters are as close as I can get without buying the $800 Fender one. Just playing at home or with friends doesn't justify that price. But, $300? That is do-able.

They get good reviews over on the Surf Guitar forum, just looking for opinions from you guys here, the real Squier guys, that have one or have tried one.

This is really bad gas! :eek:

2. mrlinguini

mrlinguini Squier-holic

Thats pretty cool that you had one in '65. Tuff to beat the price on the new ones.

3. Caddy

Caddy Squier-holic

I really think I would like one, just want some input from owners.

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Dr. Squier

Yeah Boy, I wanted one too, then I got a chanch to buy a VM Jaguar in new condition at used price..I jumped on it...I'll probably do some mods to it but so far I like it quite well..
    Good luck caddy..

5. horax

horax Squier-holic

surfguitar101?
    I frequent there, too.

I'm in between the VM surf strat, CV 50's lake placid blue strat, or the VM jassmaster myself....think I'm leaning strat, though.

6. JKguitar

JKguitar Squier Talker

I pretty much post on every single topic discussing these guitars. They are AWESOME. In short, get it, it is worth the money. The pickups are nice and clear, the neck sounds somewhat strat like with slightly more treble sound. Both pickups together sounds nice and chimey, great for chords. Bridge reminds me a LOT of a tele. The jazz switch, however, is what really takes the cake for me. Turn that sucker on and you got a killer jazz sound. Nice and warm and totally different from the lead circuit. It's even got a different feel when you dig in to the strings (Not sure why, I always thought maybe a different capacitor in the rhythm circuit?). There are a few very minor details about the guitar that aren't perfect but I won't blow up your post. It's a sexy guitar. I get excited.

7. Caddy

Caddy Squier-holic

Thanks guys! You aren't helping my GAS, but maybe that's a good thing! Now if someone would just have one of those $ off deals that would clinch it.

8. Caddy

Caddy Squier-holic

Horax, I have a couple strats, can't really bond with them. They are OK, but I remember liking my old Jazzmaster much better than I like strats.

This old Jazzmaster (taken many, many moons ago, at college) ;)
    [​IMG]

9. 100strats

100strats Squier-Meister

10. ant_riv

ant_riv Squier Talker

That picture is great!

Thanks for posting it.

11. AtomicFishin83

AtomicFishin83 Squier-Nut

This picture is awesome. Hmm... that bass on the right looks oddly familiar
    [​IMG]