G.M. Tele Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by RetiredNSquired, Nov 5, 2018.

1. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Meister

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Looking into a possible Tele partscaster build after the holidays and my daughter's wedding in Dec. (Gonna be a busy month!) I've read a lot of good about the G.M. pickups around here. Checked on Ebay last night, and the only ones shown for Tele were the "Standard" model. Good reviews, but not many of them. Anybody have experience with these pups? Also any other good recommendations for economical Tele style? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Strat68OKC

Strat68OKC Squier-Meister

Feb 19, 2017
    Banner OK
    I have a G.M. Tele hot rail bridge pup I like really well. I don't have experience with the Standard set, but the G.M. pickups I've used are really good IMO

3. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Meister

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Thanks! I looked back, and saw those rail pickups. Don't know how I missed them before!

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    GM makes good pickups, regardless of price.

5. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I've had only good experiences with GM pickups. I'm not familiar with their standard telecaster pickups though.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Me too... great things to say about GMs PAF humbucker , p94 and the middle single coil I currently have in the neck of my Duo.

I’m sure I’ll try the Tele pickups one day. I have kind of a plan for a mini strat....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    dbrian66 and RetiredNSquired like this.
  7. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Just ordered a GM tele “standard” bridge pickup and neck p90, I’ll let you know how I like the tele bridge when it arrives.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I have been thinking about a set of those standards for one of my Teles. I have their unstaggered 62'z in a Strat, an A2 HB in my Epi Jr. and a set of their '59's in a my Epi Special I. All sound great. Very happy with them all. Hard to beat, especially for the price.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier Talker

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I have the GM Dirty Digits, Hot Alnico 5, P94, and the power rails. I like em all! I haven't tried their tele pickups yet but on my CV50, I have Artec single coil sized rails on the bridge and GFS overwound on the neck. They sound really good together!

10. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I recently purchased a Tele bridge pup from them ,don't remember the name but, it is 11.1k
    and sounds great in my newest Tele build, I think it was like $22.shipped ! They aren't Rose good but they are good for the $.

wickedtools likes this.
  11. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I have mixed feelings about GM, and I avoid Artec.

Since you have time, I would look for Fender or Squier pups on eBay auctions etc. deals can be had if your in no hurry.If you want Fender sound.... buy Fender.

Squier Standard Alnico are not bad at all if your amp has some power to drive them.

That said, gambling on cheap pups can be fun, sometimes mostly you lose but when you win it is all the sweeter! I have a pile :)

12. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I've bought at least a dozen GM pickups for myself and others.....singles, buckers, vintage type to super hot, only had one that I wasnt fully thrilled with. They're my go t0 pickup now.

jeepster61605 likes this.
  13. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    I have a set in one of my builds. They are awesome

14. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    How are the dirty digits? I want to try a set.

wickedtools likes this.
  15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier Talker

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I really like them for what I play!

Here's my before-after demo:

In a somewhat full production:

RetiredNSquired likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I've liked the pickups I've bought from them, most notably their P94 and vintage wound A2 humbucker. I haven't tried a Tele pickup though.

I wonder if they're slowly shutting down their business. They don't seem to be restocking.

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Nahh ... they go in cycles like that all the time.

five teles, Caddy and dbrian66 like this.