Fuzzy guitar

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by beerbelly, Mar 5, 2020.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Has anybody here made one? That's going to be my next project, a spinner too like ZZ. Any info or pix you can share would be appreciated.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I'd say you're jumping the shark. :)

Kenneth Mountain and Chubbles like this.
  3. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Well to be fair, most mods and projects can fit that as well. What’s great is that there are minor variations that set them a little further than just another “xxx copy”. So far what I’ve seen from @beerbelly is that his always have his stamp of originality

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

It was actually a reference to his previous Shark guitar. :)

5. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Never seen one, or heard of someone actually making one (besides ZZ’s). My band mates and I have often joked about how bad those furry guitars must smell after a gig or two of sweating on them.

6. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Squier Talker

Dec 5, 2018
    Omaha, NE USA Earth
    Start with a shape like this:
    BillyInCase.jpg

7. No. I don't want to have to buy flea collars, send it to the pet groomer or put up with the shedding.

a25b03ebc56e8ce93c0b2c09b94b4049.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

8. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    There have been many versions of these guitars (6, I think); the majority seem to be based on a Dean Z or an Explorer with a Flying V headstock. I found a beat up Mahar Flying V on Offerup for $40 that has a perfectly shaped headstock and a single HB. The plan is to slice, dice and add wood to convert it into that Z/Explorer shape, then paint the whole thing white and add sheepskin:

b604b3a557d740d5ad02fd463299675b.jpg IMG_3844.JPG

IKEA has both real and fake sheepskins, so I have a source for that. And I have a hair clipper to give it a "haircut" around the strings & pickup.

I just need to figure out how to make it spin. I saw a guy on YouTube who used a weightlifter's belt and some kind of swivel. Maybe attach some kind of straplock/swivel on both? Still need to figure that out...

9. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    Way Way Back when I was in the army and after being over in nam and got stationed at Fort Eustis VA. I was a medic and got some mole skin is what they call it.. Its not a fuzzy as a ZZ top , I covered a arch top jazz box with it then used India Ink to do color splotching. Oh when I was 21 and dumb, It did not help the sound of the guitar.

10. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Jim! Damn! I’m ashamed! How did I miss that pun/reference???
    I love that shark guitar he built.

11. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    I'm wondering if a Dunlop strap lock might work as a spinner? Attach the guitar button to the back of the guitar, and the push-button half through a looped strap that hangs around your neck?

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 2.19.22 PM.png

12. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    I had a Chevy and Ford van in the 70's. I had all I can handle when it comes to decorating something with fuzz.

13. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Are you gonna glue the fuzz down or just make a sorta fuzzy glove for the body? fastened at the back w velcro perhaps?

14. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    I plan to glue it on- no point in doing it halfway!

15. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    My friend still has a section of that fuzz from when he worked at Dean and they did the ZZ Fuzzy guitars. I bought a lot of parts from him...

16. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    What about this idea for the spinner?

IMG_3845.JPG Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 11.38.45 AM.png

17. Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  18. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    I really doubt it. The biggest problem will be the balance, and keeping it from flipping forward.
    Start with something like a lazy susan bearing:
    [​IMG]
    One side is screwed to the back of the guitar, the other side attached to a body harness with a rigid flat bar going from a waist belt up to an upper torso belt.

Ooh - maybe bolt it to a non-articulated cuirass (breastplate) made from a plastic barrel.

[​IMG]
    Concealing it under a shirt is another issue.

You'd probably also have to add ballast to the tail of the guitar so that it does not neck dive, and rotates smoothly.

Kenneth Mountain, daan and Mr Bones like this.
  19. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I'd be more worried about the guitar cable whipping around and smacking me in the face, Indiana Jones style.

Kenneth Mountain and Mr Bones like this.
  20. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    Okay.
    Add to the shopping list:
    Wireless Guitar TX/RX system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice