Fun with Tune-Ups :(

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by daan, Jun 3, 2019.

1. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    I wouldn't say that at all. It's a pain for sure. But hopefully you'll get the thing progressed soon, and if you change plugs at a shorter interval to avoid the corrosion it won't happen again and you'll continue to save money on tune-ups in the future.

EDIT: And your oil filter post wasn't visible when I wrote reply. That's a bad break.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I feel this is applicable at this time...

FB_IMG_1559622482622.jpg

daan and drewcp like this.
  3. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    C170B7A8-B8F0-4B06-88CE-0206A26AC1FF.jpeg 62408126-D76F-45FA-84A6-836EAF3DBFE9.jpeg 52C2B8A5-1E5F-4E03-B3CA-A2FB56ACD72A.jpeg Step1: vacuum out the ceramic bits. Get more PB
    On everything.
    Step 2: Assemble the easy out.
    Step 3: realize the socket is a 1/2” drive, and I don’t have a 1/2” drive wrench...:(

4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    39204382-1D90-49D1-843F-CCD24F34CD4B.jpeg 6051390E-0293-4AD1-B723-A116CC935305.jpeg E65249D4-ADDD-4603-BB73-8B2941DD0C14.jpeg
    I got them out!

jbrowning, drewcp, woolbrig and 6 others like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Way to go @daan! How do you figure they broke off like that when you were able to get them out with the EZ-Out? I was afraid they might be so stuck you'd have to take the head off and go to a machine shop or something like that.

daan and squierbilly like this.
  6. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Nice. You saved yourself a lot money. Be sure and put some anti seize on the new plug threads.

daan and squierbilly like this.
  7. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Congrats daan!.. You did it!.. Im surprised you didnt have to tow it to a shop.. Isnt the internet wonderful!.. all the days and hours spent on it is paying off.. :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    daan and squierTony like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Don't feel like a clown because you just learned alot doing that on your own. Props to ya bro...

daan likes this.
  9. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    You decided to post this little caper! But any of us shade tree mechanics have been there. Maybe not as deep as you, but been there. Just wait until you drop a screwdriver down the intake manifold and figure out how to get it out without having it towed to the shop. I had 4 kids too and mini vans for years. They were always white. My Dad called them "Wheel of Fortune" cars. Why? Van of white. (say it fast)
    I found it easier to get the plugs on the firewall side out from under the car rather than the top.

10. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

You da MAN! Great you stuck with it! Congrats!

Looks like just the suction of the Shop Vac pointed nozzle was enough to pull out the ceramics mostly intact. Is that how it went down? Since you said your vacuum had too little suction, did you switch on the Turbo to get a little more?

Treat yourself to a beer and a new tube of Never Seize!

daan likes this.
  11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    So what I learned was, use penetrating oil first!
    I think had I done that in the first place, I would have been done on, say, Monday... Now all that’s left is to re-crimp the plug connector that I managed to pull off the wire while reassembling everything... image.jpg

drewcp and Bassman96 like this.
  12. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Oh ffs man. Your van hates you clearly lol. Go have a beer or 12 after all that. You've earned it. Good job.

13. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    The plugs supposedly were changed at around 80-85k, and it’s got 165k on it now. I’m gonna guess these were the original plugs it got built with in ‘10, and they just became one with the (aluminum) heads. I also doused them in penetrating oil for the last 2 days, so between the oil and me whaling on them for the last few days I think I just worked them loose finally.

drewcp and Triple Jim like this.
  14. LarsN

LarsN Squier-Meister

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Pro tip on stuck filters.... take a old, beat up, flat head screwdriver, and run it all the way through the filter. then use it like a handle to turn it.

drewcp, daan and Bassman96 like this.
  15. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    So the consensus is, the van runs smoother, feels like it has more power (for a 4000-pound brick shaped vehicle with 150(ish) horsepower and when I go to start it, it fires up instantly. A couple weeks ago, it always started, but I had to crank it a second or two, but now it seems to run the moment I turn the key. Oh, it isn’t downshifting as much going up hills or to maintain speed on the freeway-sometimes it would go into third, just to stay at 75 on my commute home.
    The last tank-O-fuel before this debacle, I got 349 miles out of. I drive my kids to school and run errands when I’m in town, but also have a 45-mile commute to work (each way) so it’s a good mix of city and HWY driving. So 18-19MPG average, which is still pretty good for a 4k # box. Well this last tank, I got 430 miles from, which is about 23MPG! So it’s all a win.

-r3-, drewcp and Bassman96 like this.
  16. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Wow that is a nice bump in performance. Manufacturer's really should start advertising the need for regular basic maintenance and tune ups for their vehicles ;)

daan and drewcp like this.
  17. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Whack-job conspiracy theory warning:
    They don’t advertise maintenance, because they want you to just buy another vehicle when your payments/lease is up. Or, they want to sell you a maintenance contract, that you’ll “forget” to use. Or something!
    I’m just old enough to remember having to do a tune up on my rusty ****-box cars every fall, so they would start in the winter. So the fact I could theoretically go 100k without having to change anything, just seems alien to me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice