Fun with Tune-Ups :(

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by daan, Jun 3, 2019.

1. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    So my van is a ‘10 Chrysler Town’n’country minivan. Hey, I have 4 kids, so my vehicle choices are kinda limited... Anyway I have NO money, and it’ll be at least 3 more years til our other car is paid off (a’16 T&C) I’ve been trying to do maintenance work on it like changing the fluids, I did the rear brakes (HUGE PITA, cause of how rusty everything gets here :( ) and change the heater core hoses. I’ve had all the parts to do an engine tune up sitting on my shelf since Christmas, and have kind of been avoiding it because one of the least fun things is, changing the spark plugs on the back side of a transverse FWD vehicle. I got a jointed socket and a U-joint extension, rolled the van out into the sunshine and got to work. 407A882B-2DAC-4DF4-97D2-33AE4C4C7079.jpeg
    I’d say it was time to change-the van has 160k (miles) on it, and hasn’t been accelerating like it used to. The old plugs looked ashy and corroded, and the gap was bigger than it should have been-worn electrodes?

4C4BAC70-2114-4C52-9E56-791FC2EE92AA.jpeg
    Everything rusts here :(
    25DA51C7-B87E-40CA-8EC8-C055B0CDE5CF.jpeg
    I got a new Coil pack and plug wires, too. That took about 3 minutes to change.

2CA9A894-B3F5-4F7B-9557-66BFB5DA4410.jpeg

2. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Wait, I got directed to the wrong forum. It says squire-talk.

3. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Meister

Feb 14, 2019
    Nothing like doing mechanin’ caveman style.....bearskin rugs and stone knives :(

mb doug, squierbilly and dbrian66 like this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I cheated and started with the front bank, they were a little hard to do, but came out with minimal struggle. The first one in the back I tried, came out easily enough, but as soon as I got to the next one (the middle rear) SNAP! went the electrode (where’s that crying smilie?) I resisted the urge to curse and hurl the wrench down the driveway, because my 3-year old was “helping” (eating lunch in her wagon next to the van). I just moved to the next plug, and POP! That one snapped right off too! Argh! I broke a plug off in my first car, but since it was a 4-cylinder I had plenty of room to just latch a Vice-Grip onto it and get it out that way... I don’t know what I’m gonna do with this thing. E1116B61-FA0F-4F1D-B209-3E500CFB804B.jpeg F9E53ECB-1584-4838-A4E6-9EF55786F5E6.jpeg C9E82C0A-4648-437F-8712-26BAE064E866.jpeg 4A662E7D-1DA4-4781-A1D2-3B8C9F757246.jpeg
    I may have to have it towed to the repair place down the road, basically spending all the $ for a tow truck that I tried to save DIY-ing it, not to mention how much they’re gonna charge me to get the plugs out :( :( :(

JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Those plugs look like they have longer than normal threaded length. With the benefit of hindsight, it probably would have been a good idea to have flooded the top of the threads with PB Blaster after seeing how much thread went into the cylinder head. You might still try that on the stuck ones, then see if you can dimple the electrode and then drill down it to then try to remove with an EZ Out. But that ceramic insulator isn't going to take much torque at all.

Probably the rear bank is close to the firewall and hotter, baking them in place. Experienced mechanics for these cars may know to soak those down before attempting to remove. Did you try YouTube for videos on how to remove a snapped plug where there is limited access?

daan and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    mb doug, squierbilly, daan and 2 others like this.
  7. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I was about to send the same link to Champion that Bassman96 provided.

You might need to take a small pointed chisel and bang away gently at the insulator in the stump of the plug to get the ceramic loose. Use a shop-vac nozzle to clean up so no chips of insulator can get down in the bore.

Whatever you do, use a very good anti-sieze compound on the threads when you reinstall, and they barely need to be more than finger tight. I actually have a can of nuclear grade that would be perfect for this job.

2007-01-13 10.48.44.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Meister

Feb 14, 2019
    @daan Honest to God Bro, I feel for ya! Been there...done that....wiped my butt with the T-shirt

mb doug likes this.
  9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    56DB3BA2-459B-4404-8023-6C8A242C3D2C.jpeg E50EF16C-C0DE-45BE-9256-E599787E4229.jpeg 71F3FED7-75D8-4E31-A322-47F574D22CE3.jpeg Hey, who knew I could use my phone to aim where I spray the PB Blaster? Good thing I had some left from my brake job... Now that I think of it, I should have doused the plugs in PB before I started this project... I’m gonna get an Easy Out from the NAPA once The Mrs gets home (and finishes berating me for screwing this up) Ugh. The shop wanted nearly $700 for a tune up, and the parts I got were barely $100...

mb doug likes this.
  10. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    No...:( As soon as I heard the plug SNAP, this very thought went through my head. :(

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities

Thank you for the links, I’ll be looking at them momentarily.

As far as Chrysler stuff... I’ve put 162k on this van, and other than brakes, tires and oil, the only thing that’s actually broken on this thing is the rear AC condenser. Which the local Chrysler place covered half of, even though the van was LONG out of warranty (and I bought it elsewhere). Our other T&C has gone 75k with not one single issue, other than a set of tires. I know other people have had issues with Chrysler stuff, but I’ve had nothing but good luck with mine...

mb doug likes this.
  12. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    @Michael7 , I stored my Anti-seize right next to the Loc-Tite, and they canceled each other out! :)

mb doug, Michael7 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Yeah I'd say she was ready for a tuneup. I hate turning wrenches personally unless it is my ATVs.

mb doug likes this.
  14. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    This is one of my fears of the 100,000 mile plug replacement schedule!
    Best of luck to you.
    Hope it doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg to fix this .

SoundDesign and daan like this.
  15. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I got myself a couple of EZ-Outs, a couple new sockets (my kids played with them sometime this spring and ...misplaced half my tools) another can of PB Blaster and some... accessories. After looking up a bunch of videos about this, I think I got this.

6FF3CD0F-752D-4447-B2E0-921A86379A69.jpeg
    I went to Goodwill and got a couple Mirrors, so I could actually see what I was doing. It wouldn’t stay where I needed it (or in the engine compartment-the first one stayed in long enough for me to get a tool, then promptly fell out and broke on the driveway:( )
    I drilled a hole in the (plastic) frame and Zip-tied it to an AC line, now it’s not going anywhere!
    5ABDE04B-D0C9-4247-964D-339845DF4A12.jpeg
    I don’t want any Ceramic pieces falling into the engine, so I fashioned this to get the vacuum right on the plug. Duct tape to the rescue!

4C0BD49F-B414-428B-859E-CCB7C41003B3.jpeg

squierbilly, duzie and Bassman96 like this.
  16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    B7B3F3B5-D88D-436A-BA28-56FA7187D8D9.jpeg AD097CD3-F9C9-49CB-B299-703774DF3214.jpeg I got the ceramic parts to rotate in the remains of the plugs, but my Shop-Vac isn’t strong enough to just suck them out. (One of the video people said that’s how he got his apart, anyway) Now I’ve been chipping away at the ceramic trying to get them out. Oh, did I mention that my van is blocking where my camper is parked, and I gotta get it out of the way by tomorrow? Ugh.

17. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    So while all this fun stuff was going on, I was also trying to get my Tow Pig ready to pull the camper Friday. I went to change the oil, and the monkey at the quick change place I took it to in December must have used an impact wrench to put the filter on-NOTHING I did would get it back off. Grr. So after a looong time fighting it (and a trip to the FLAPS for another filter wrench) I admitted defeat, filled it back up with my new oil, and took it to the Chev garage down the road. They told me they had to cut the old filter off... ugh. 6 quarts of $$$$ synthetic oil and another filter later, I got home and resumed packing for our trip, and to mess with the van again. Well I noticed a lake of oil running out from under the truck! I got under it and found that the filter the garage put on this morning wasn’t even hand-tight-I spun it back on by hand, and wrenched it tight. But hey, only 3 or 4 quarts leaked out... Now I gotta wait til the Mrs comes home, and use her car to go get MORE oil, cause my van still doesn’t run, and the truck is 3/4 out of oil now. Oh, and an industrial size bag of kitty litter....
    After all this, I’m pretty sure The Mrs isn’t gonna let me do any more car work at home...

squierbilly likes this.
  18. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Hey,
    You're making progress, using your imagination. I like it. Continue this and you will prevail.

daan likes this.
  19. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Ha ha, so basically I’m S-T’s Comic relief, and cautionary tale-just take your car in, it’ll end up cheaper in the long run, and be less headache...

20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

In my 61 years I've never had a plug break off, but then until recently my cars have had iron cylinder heads. It's sure something to think about. I may go out and remove the plugs in my two newer cars, put some anti-seize on them, and put them back in.

My son did have a couple stripped plug threads when he got his car, but it turned out that installing Time-Serts in his Ford Focus was not terribly hard. In addition to stuffing the cylinders with greased rope to catch the chips, I made a vacuum cleaner wand to go in and be sure all the chips were out. Good thing too, because I could hear chips getting sucked up. That may work for your cleanup phase too, @daan.

daan likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice