Fretboard Darkening continues....

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Dinomikesr, May 18, 2020.

1. StevieRayFan

StevieRayFan Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2020
    Seattle, WA
    That F-One oil will spruce up your headstock too while you have the strings off. Great opportunity to feed that wood and give it some lustre too.

2. Maplelover

Maplelover Squier Talker

Nov 28, 2014
    Akron,Oh
    Anyone try this, I've had good luck with it lasting , but you MUST wipe off after an hour . Squier neck with a decal , GFS body, the rest is Fender issue parts. The pickups are stock "two rail" ceramic with thin magnetic sheets applied to the bottom. CTS pots, orange drop cap, Oak Grigsby 5 way. Fools everyone
    with the traditional Stratocaster sounds
    old.jpeg Dscn0774.jpg

3. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Guitar manufacturers have been using black stains and dyes on their ebony fret boards forever to make them look black. Higgins Indian Ink is certainly one of the industry standards, too. When you see a piece of raw ebony it's not uniformly black..... but it sure does have gorgeous color variations. Then again there's also nothing like that smooth satin feel and jet black color of an ebony board.

fadetoz and beagle like this.
  4. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    @Maplelover as you use up the Old English, refill the bottle with Minwax Ebony stain (you don't need much). Shake and apply as usual for an even darker finish.

5. islandadventure

islandadventure Squier Talker

Aug 17, 2018
    Canada
    Aloha one and all.

I'm eager to try this with the minwax ebony stain marker. Has anyone established if it does indeed stay on after the fret board has been oiled? Has anyone had any trouble with the minwax ebony stain marker not being permanent?

Many thanks

6. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    So far so good.

7. islandadventure

Aug 17, 2018
    Canada
    Hola Oldguitarguy,

Thanks for the reply. So to confirm, you have used the minwax stain marker and you have oiled the fret board after and you have played and there has been zero stain coming off - correct? Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dork, just want to be absolutely sure all boxes are being ticked.

Many thanks!

8. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    I just finished one and haven’t played it much yet but no problem in the short time. I just stained a second but it is still in project mode. I made sure I removed all the excess stain and followed up again with clean rags later and waited a few days before using fret oil. I really like the way it looks. If a little comes off over time, I’m not concerned. If you are very concerned about a little coming off, then you might reconsider.

9. islandadventure

Aug 17, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks for your input, Oldguitarguy. Yup, I'm concerned about stain coming off as I gig and don't want to get it on my hands and clothes etc... Sooner or later I will post on here with pics but I have a Squier VM 70's in vintage white. The guitar is a nice cream colour, more than white and with the black pickup covers etc... it looks fantastic with black pick guard screws. I'm thinking the black stain treatment on the fret board will just make it sweeter with the classic cream and black combo accentuated.

Does anyone else have experience to share?

Cheers

10. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Just thought I'd share this one with you guys. This Inca is my Robert Cray Model. No need to darken the FB because it came nice and dark like a Rosewood should be IMO...
    The poop Furero isn't darkening very well. Hit it 2 times already. It does look better than it did but man it is not getting very dark. Very apparent next to the Cray Rosewood.
    IMG_20200601_114647.jpg

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  11. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    I used it before I got the pen and it wasn't enough of the result I wanted.

12. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Newest Minwax ebony upgrade... 8CAFA6F2-B157-4460-AEE3-EFED10611D28.jpeg

islandadventure and fadetoz like this.
  13. I have a Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster FSR in gold bronze that has a rather dark fretboard like your Inca. I'll have to get a pic posted.
    I did have a VM 70's Strat with a very dark board but sold that a few years ago.
    Cheers, Barrie.

fadetoz likes this.
  14. StevieRayFan

StevieRayFan Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2020
    Seattle, WA
    I've been testing with a white microfiber cloth and nothing comes off. I don't want to make a general statement about all oils you gents may use, but F-One has not caused any breakdown, but after the Minwax it looked dark, rich, nourished and took a nice buffing so the F-One seemed unnecessary. I'm glad @Maplelover likes his Old English, but Minwax doesn't require an hour of soaking in. I think I can dress an entire neck and polish the frets in under 20 minutes.

fadetoz likes this.
  15. Now that's fast! ;)
    Cheers, Barrie.

Eddd likes this.
  16. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    I’m gonna do that to my J.M. jazzmaster.

17. jordnot

jordnot Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    EU
    What did you use?

18. jordnot

jordnot Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    EU
    Looks really nice

Do you have a before picture?

Is it a rosewood fb?

19. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Thanks. Sorry I don’t. Not sure but think so

20. jordnot

jordnot Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    EU
    So the process is, you use the minwax ebony marker
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VRQV5O/?tag=squiertalk-20
    And paint on the fretboard, then wait until it dries.

And then you apply oil.

And you say some paint comes off the fretboard, how long have you had it on?

Maybe skip adding oil, and it would make the paint stick better?