Formal Lessons wayyyy after the fact?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Bassman96, May 20, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Back when I was 16 and first started playing bass I basically just winged it with a band till I more or less figured it out. I've never had any formal lessons of any sort aside from the french horn all through grade, middle and highschool. I am wondering if any of you have gone on way after "learning" to play and taken actual lessons from an instructor? Was there a good cost/benefit trade off for it? I know I probably have some bad habits that are not going to be broken and probably approach playing different than what is "correct" so the instructor would have thier work cut out for them but I'm thinking it might help refine and add to the toolbox of knowledge. Just not sure how much can be gained 25 years later lol. Any of you done this? How did it go and do you feel you got your time and money out of it?

Deepblankspace likes this.
  2. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace Squier-Meister

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington state
    I just did this!
    After 12 years of playing, i was stuck.
    Self taught, used to play in a band with my buddies. Rythm player.
    Started guitar lessons last year, now my fiance is taking bass lessons with the same dude:)

3. Deepblankspace

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington state
    The teacher probly makes the difference also!
    I go once or twice a month, he usually gives me like a 70 min for the price of 30.

These guys deal with kids and teens all day, its a real breath of fresh air for them to get full grown adults

Bassman96 likes this.
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I'm in the same boat, took lessons when I was a young kid but never really stuck with it. I have definitely improved the last few years but I would love to take some more lessons now.

Paul1985 likes this.
  5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I really want to take a few lessons ,but I really don't want some cork sniffer. I'd like to find a cool laid back guy that just tells it like it is . With no fluff !

6. Deepblankspace

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington state
    Deffinitly look around. My local guys are snobs, so i go to the next town over.

7. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I live on Whidbey Island so my choices are limited to one spot lol. I have heard some good things about them but if they don't click I'll have to hunt off island somewhere and there the cost goes up with the additional gas money.

8. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I used to pester local players to show me stuff. I did play bass for awhile, the guy who got me started was a strict "one finger per fret" guy. He showed me some scales, exercises, how to play along with records. The stuff you'd learn back then. Even today, if I see someone play something cool, I go up at break and ask "how did you do that?"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice