? for Gretsch G2665 owners

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mtjo62, Dec 6, 2018.

1. mtjo62

mtjo62 Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    USA
    I bought a G2655T last September and really dig it. My only complaint is that the Broadtrons are pretty dark. I use a Blues Jr, AC10 and an Albion TCT35. I have to max out the tone on the guitar as well as turn my treble up on my amps. Gretsch sent me the wiring diagram for the guitar and it uses 500K pots and a .0022uF cap, so that should have plenty of top end for most humbuckers. My Tele and P90 guitars have plenty of top end in the same amps. I know there a couple other folks here that bought a G2655 recently and wonder if they have the same experience.

BorderRadio, Taurus and Big tuna like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I assume you tried adjusting the pickup heights. Other than that, I can't help much because I put FilterTrons in mine.

3. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    That model looks more like a R&R machine but i would think the pu's are rather pleasing .I own a few gretsch guitars japan and chinese all good,

4. mtjo62

mtjo62 Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    USA
    I just purchased a set of Dimarzio EJ Customs for a great price. The Youtube demos blew me away. According to Dimarzio, Eric Johnson asked them to wind him a set for his LP that sounded like a Country Gentleman. I guess I'll be doing a NPU day thread soon.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  5. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Squier Talker

Nov 5, 2018
    Exeter
    I own a 2420T (the hollowbody one) and they have the same issue (same pups!) it is because the broadtrons are a full humbucker and voiced to be a bit darker to try to have a more mass market appeal. The 2655T is closer to an Epiphone dot than it is a Gretsch. I can recommend a good set of Humbucker sized P90s for it to really make it sing. I'd recommend the Tone Rider Rebel 90s, but I don't know what shipping to the US wouldbe (they are a UK company). Alternnatively, if you can afford it, go for the TV Jones option. Personally I can't justify spending more on pickups than the guitar is worth! If you're prepared to do a bit of DIY, Gretsch HS Filtertrons are about $130 for a set, but do require a bit of work to get them to fit. In Europe the best place would be Thomann, but I'm guessing you'll be able to get a better deal Stateside. I hope this helps.

6. brodg68

brodg68 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    I will second the 'adjust your pickup height' suggestion. I have a 2662 and thought the same on the darkness - a couple of turns of the screwdriver and a world of difference.

I started with the TV Jones suggestions:. https://tvjones.com/pages/tv-jones-adjustments-schematics-modifications

Being used to single coils and humbuckers the pickups were a lot higher than I expected.