For all the Joe Bonamassa haters-

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, Dec 9, 2019.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you don't dig this then you're dead to me! Some great playing from Joe and Brad Whitford!

2. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    The problem I usually have with him is its usually too straightforward. Id like to see him do the Elton John thing actually. Find a partner in crime... And then hand the music part off to that guy. He would be in charge of making all the music... Then at the same time sit back more and let the rest of the band do more. And make sure the guy ya have do all the music be someone who is twisted... So the music is anything but straightforward... Then on top of that add a bunch of real good vocals. And sing about stuff like how it hurts when you pee... Oops. I just turned him into Zappa. But with a music coordinator...

3. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Been a fan since day 1.

4. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Huge fan of JB. I really appreciate great technique and Joe is one of the tops for that. Plus, anyone who has collected as many guitars and amps as he has must be a good guy.

5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yeah, JB is on my hate list. He's as over-rated as a guitarist as Aretha Franklin was as a singer, Paul McCartney as a song writer, Jascha Heifetz as a violinist and Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti was as a sculptor.

What I want to know is where are New Kids on the Block when you need them?

-nod

6. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I understand that people don't like him but I don't think 100% of the "hate" directed at his playing and music is really about his playing and music. Joe is a savant of sorts or a bit of a Tiger Woods type story. He was identified at a young age as a prodigy and in his TV feature segment way back when, they tried to depict him as an otherwise "normal" kid who just happened to eat, sleep and play guitar 24/7/365. What's not normal about his story is that you fast forward 30 odd years and essentially nothing much has changed. Unlike most "normal" people, his unwavering dedication to that single thing never wore off and he's translated it into a successful career.

I think we have a tendency to point out the Joes and Tigers as motivational examples of what you can accomplish with hard work and determination. At the same time, I think we also have a tendency to "hate" those people for the same reasons...

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I don't hate him, so I'm not gonna watch. :p

8. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Ha! I thought you were serious at first, I was never a fan of mcCartney of Heifetz, the other two, I was going to agree to disagree. :p

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I'm not sure what you mean. Elton wrote all his music. It was the lyrics that were written by Bernie
    Taupin.

10. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia
    I've also long been a fan of the guy (saw him once at The River Center in Columbus Ga several years ago). I have an excellent CD that was some promo/swag produced and given out by Ernie Ball inc at one of the NAMM shows , years ago. Joe plays slide on several songs, and is quite good at a surprisingly wide range of styles, from a very traditional Johnny Winter/Elmore James vibe, to cleaner,more modern, melodic styles (sounding to my ear a lot like Ryan Newell of Sister Hazel).
    He's got some great stuff on the U-tubes where he has Beth Hart doing the lead vocals, and they cover (IIRC) the old Etta James/Koko Taylor classic, " I'd rather go blind", and I was expecting Joe to virtually wreck the groove by going full blues-shred on the solo, and to my my pleasant surprise, he plays the most tasteful and restrained little solo imaginable.
    Anyway, I think a lot of people dislike Joe for a variety of irrational, subjective, and non-musically-based reasons. The guy admittedly isn't very "cool" in the classic sense of the word. He doesn't come off as the dark, tortured artist we seem to prefer in our artistic geniuses.
    He's kind of a doughy-faced geek, a white boy from the suburbs (gasp!), who didn't "pay his dues" for 30 years playing in seedy dives on the rough side of town, and couldn't possibly have experienced enough diversity in life to dispense The Blues to the masses.
    But they guy puts together some dynamite bands, can play like and angel or a demon, and is a driving force in keeping both the blues and rock & roll a popular, relevant, and commercially viable music form.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  11. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I think Joe is awesome. Even if you don't like him you have to know he is a great musician. I wasn't liking him allot when I went to get tickets to see him and they where going to cost like $300 or something. I went to see John 5 play for $20 a ticket about a month ago and that is reasonable to me. Guess I'll watch Joe play on youtube for now.

Jim Belaye and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia
    He means that Joe's music would benefit from a talented colaborator (hence the Bernie/Elton comparison). It doesn't necessarily matter who writes/composes what, the point is the same.
    This actually applies to a lot of highly talented musicians, who can't seem to gain widespread traction on their own, and would do better as part of a band with some talented writers.

13. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I was never a fan of the music he wrote but I think he's one of the best guitarists ever as this video shows! To me, He is the technician's technician.

14. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I like this version a LOT better. I am not a fan of any copycats.

seua, squierbilly, so1om and 3 others like this.
  15. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    Good heavens....that was awesome!!

16. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

Gonna catch some big fish trolling with that bait!

17. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I remember when that was said about Michael Bloomfield. "Just some kid form an upper middle class home. How could he possibly play real blues?"

To me, along with so much else in our society, this is brand buying. -Something we here on ST seem to better understand than most guitarists. 'just close your eyes and play it' we tell people. Yes. And listen.

I'm frankly less into listening to Bonamassa than I was to Bloomfield. It is just a different time in my life. But when I do I hear excellence.

The other side of the coin from what took them to their music is where their music took them. For that I hope Bonamassa does better than Bloomfield. It took him to the gutter and to death in a parked car with a needle in his arm.

-don

fadetoz and wonkenstein like this.
  18. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    This will never go away. Some like him, some don't. The non stop threads trying to convince others one way or another are pointless.

19. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I was never a huge JB fan, but I'm warming to him a bit Technically, he's as good as it gets. I do like him better when he's working with a strong singer a la Beth Hart, and he does show more taste and restraint. Watched one of the Premiere Guitar Rig Rundowns with him from the Ryman, and he jokes that " We discovered there's a market for seeing me overplay". The more I see of him, the more I discovered he really is this nerdy guitar geeky guy, and I appreciate he has a self-deprecating sense of humor about himself.
    Caught a good documentary, in 3 parts on YT about him, titled I believe, How One Man Beat the Music Business. Goes into detail how he and his management worked out a plan to build a dedicated following, playing in a genre that really is NOT in the popular eye these days. (Sadly) Gained a lot more respect for him from that.

20. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I don't want to be dead to anyone just because I didn't see eye to eye with them on musical tastes. Luckily this clip is pretty cool .... :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice