First Snow!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:28 AM.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Awakened to it this morning.

Gotta love it!
    The peace.
    The beauty.
    The quiet!

Is That - Yes It Is.jpg

-don

mb doug, radiotech, jamndad and 5 others like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  3. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Meister

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yeah, we've had ours about a week ago. Go from color to monochrome in 24 hours.

Gotta drain the hot tub for winter. We loose power too often to risk it through -20° temps.

duceditor likes this.
  4. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    We have had about four or five inches so far, but it is mostly gone now. Temps in the mid thirties with lows above freezing for a few days. :)

duceditor likes this.
  5. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Beautiful, my wife is a teacher. Snow = no school.No school = more playing and building time.

duceditor likes this.
  6. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    First snow... It always looks so beautiful. Lots of early snow posts.

I think about now when I am chilled from the first drop in temps, 70's daytime and 40 at night. I am unpleasantly chilled. Compare it to Western N.Y. which had large amounts of snow enhanced by the lake effect, much lower temps and constant biting wind. I was much, much younger then. Nice area, but I'm glad I'm back in the Deep South for the weather. :D

so1om, duceditor and Luvs2yoko like this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Snow's gone. This morning it was fog.

November Morning Fog.jpg

I love the constant changes! It is so "New England" :D

-don

mb doug likes this.
  8. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Sadly this time of year for Chicago -cold, dark, and dreary until April or so. Rare is the sun for 7 or 8 months. Some have trouble with jet lag and time adjustments, outright lack of sun is the same for many people.

Snow is nice when you have nothing to do but sit back and relax inside and admire it's beauty. On the off chance it's not that cold, i'll go on a nice dog walk through the woods 2 blocks from my house.

But if you are also like me and you have to hustle out the door each day, chase around town, lose tire rims and wheel covers to pot holes (nothing like sledging a rim and filling a tire in 7" of snow) and have your car finish scratched and dented by trucks plowing snow and dropping rock salt, you don't enjoy this time of year.

My snow thrower is prepped and ready; rock salt purchased. Shovels in the car, ice scrapers, shovels by the back door. Regular monitoring of the weather because any appreciable accumulation means getting up 1 and half hours previous to time of departure. Let's see.. wife leaves at 6am, I'll set my alarm for 4:20 to suit up and have at it. If I'm lucky, I won't have to do it a second time when I get home in the evening.

I am good with snow on the day before Thanksgiving until the following Saturday. Then December 23 through Jan 2nd and from there it can be back to the upper 70s. That would be perfect.

And of all the reasons for us moving out of Illinois in the planned 2019 year, the number 2 reason is the horrible weather and snow.

9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I think the said "hustle" is the real problem. Not the snow.

And no, I have no easy answer to that apart from doing all that is within one's power to take control of one's life -- and to the extent possible not allow it to simply be a rubber stamp of 'what is expected.'

In my own case that meant doing without. Passing potentially lucrative opportunities. Valuing my time (and the control of same) more than money.

That wasn't easy then. And from all accounts in yet harder now. -The difference between a seller's and a buyer's market. :( :( :(

But long range thinking such as you describe is the thing. Using time to untie the Gordian Knot.

Moving South is one answer.

Getting old enough to retire wherever is another!

Ah yes, time again. The Stones had it right!

-don

so1om and theflow like this.
  10. Lonn

Lonn Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    We had a total of about 2 inches at my house last year, hoping for a repeat this year. Won't be draining the hot tub though, too much fun acting like Japanese snow monkeys!

This is me dreading Monday. My daughter made it to Japan a couple of years ago and got to see these guys in person.

[​IMG]

duceditor, mb doug and theflow like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yup! (and great pic!)

I either start or complete most days (sometimes both) in the spa. Lying back in the 100f water, looking up at a planetarium sky, the world far removed from my mind.

I no longer dread Mondays. No, now it Saturdays with their hideous demand that I wind the clocks. Both of them!

:D

-don