First Look: Epiphone Les Paul SL

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Treynor, Aug 14, 2017.

1. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I re-ordered the yellow that I cancelled (because I like this one so much) and they said MARCH !:(

2. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I see .:)

3. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    radiotech, theflow and surf green like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I see that GCenter has now set a Nov. 7 date for all of these guitars. However I spoke to a sales rep who said the estimates are based upon the estimates that Epiphone has provided. In other words, these estimates are just that.

I also politely asked why the GC website still says JUST ARRIVED very prominently when, in fact, as far as I know none of the guitars has actually arrived. The rep said, as I expected, that the automatic update for the webpage hasn't automatically updated yet ... even though it is a day late

As an aside on the criticism of that giant pickguard, I found another non-Gibson/Epiphone with a somewhat similar pickguard. Here is the Hagstrom Metropolis, also with two single coils.
    Hagstrom Metropolis Single Coil Pickups.png

radiotech, theflow and Pat V. like this.
  5. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Here is a pic with my Special too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

squierplayer, Treynor, Caddy and 3 others like this.
  6. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What they save in top routing and drop-in loaded pickguard, they make up for in the cost of plastic.

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    theflow,

Can you tell me how intense the blue is? I mean it looks a little darker than Daphne Blue but nowhere near as dark a blue as say Lake Placid Blue.

theflow likes this.
  8. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    It is really close to Daphne in my opinion.

9. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    That giant guard is similar to the Gibson 180 Sonex Deluxe. 1507757486899.jpg

Treynor, Caddy, Pat V. and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks, that is sort of what I thought.

theflow likes this.
  11. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Melody maker too....
    [​IMG]

Wizzer, squierplayer and Treynor like this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    0I'm neither here no there on the SL. Maybe when they start showing up used, in the only two decent colors. Two are not viable for me at all.

The other thing, given that Atlanta Metro market is high for any Epi, you'd be very hard pressed to find a used Spl, Spl II, USED sub-$100. Not absolutely impossible but very difficult at best. A Junior, sub$150. A LP100, finding a used on under $200 is similar. Not absolutely impossible, but extremely difficult. You have to watch the local sale venues daily and expect to do so for many months.

That's a part of the reason I got one of my Specials, my Special II & my Junior at Squier-Talk. My other Special & LP100, I bought from my ex-guitar guy under (his) duress. when I made the trip to see him and the promised guitars were neither one correct. One the wrong pickups and the other the entirely wrong guitar & manufacturer. Last time I used him.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    so1om likes this.
  13. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That is very interesting. Most Epiphones around Chicago are under $100, I see more used Epiphones than Squeirs on CL it seems. My nephew has 3 of the Epiphone range you mention and hasn't spent more than $40 for them. The last was one an SG Jr . that was $30 with a gig bag!

So having that price point around here, I'm certainly not too excited for the $100 SL.

very interesting!

radiotech likes this.
  14. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Just one I grabbed from a random search: https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/d/epiphone-electric-guitar/6330210121.html

So interesting. I should set my watch to "now" so I mentally account for why people may be hot for something in a price range.

15. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Completely agree about the Chicago market, and Epi’s (especially on CL).
    It’s great if you want to buy one... not so great if you want to sell one. I remember a year ago seeing a black 335 Pro for $250 with a HSC ($200 without), I still regret not jumping on that.

Perhaps we should work out a deal with @jefffam, where we buy them cheap here, and get them to Atlanta to sell at a decent profit.
    ;)

jefffam and so1om like this.
  16. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Not a bad idea. I picked up a Dot for my brother in mint shaped and hardshell case -$225. We thought it was a deal but my singer got his for $200!

radiotech likes this.
  17. otma

otma Squier-Nut

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    What's the depth of the control cavity like? Could it fit deeper controls like a push-pull or stacked pot?

Pat V. and theflow like this.
  18. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I didn't measure it but,it is plenty deep for push-pull imho.:)

Pat V. likes this.
  19. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Here’s a very nice review.

Viking, Treynor and theflow like this.