First Look: Epiphone Les Paul SL

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Treynor, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    There has been some discussion on this new Epi amongst us. Premier Guitar and John Bollinger just published this today. I might just need this!

wickedtools, DADGAD, mumbo719 and 6 others like this.
  2. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Great vid! Thanks for sharing. It's fun to hear Bollinger playing and talking about his own opinions instead of talking to others about their guitars and their opinions.

It sounds great but I still don't like how the SL looks though. It's that pickguard. Maybe if I play with my eyes closed?

Although much of what he has to say applies to one of my favorites, the Epiphone LP Specials.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A couple of comments that jumped out:
    On the frets, around 13:40 - "All the way up the neck there's nothing hanging over there...they cared!"

At 15:20, "I'd gig with this thing!...It sounds killer!"

4. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Give that guy a tele.

nobucks and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Sam Ash is expecting Sept. 2 arrival.

6. thewhales

thewhales Squier Talker

Jul 3, 2017
    Magna, Utah
    If its Mattel, its swell!

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    No, I don't need another guitar.

(Yeah you do. This one.)

(Yeah you do. This one.)

(Yeah you do. This one.)

(Yeah you do. This one.)

(Yeah you do. This one.)

Dang it. I know who's gonna win this contest. And in just that color. GORGEOUS!

And I do love the "Les Paul" script on the headstock. So ballsy and in your face!

:)

-don

8. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Sounds great, I think they are gonna be big sellers. The purists will pick it apart, but I've spent more money on dinner. Haven't seen a bad review on them yet. The only decision left for me is color choice.

9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One more reason to want one. ;)

-don

theflow, Treynor, Caddy and 6 others like this.
  10. Dan Sotelo

Dan Sotelo Squier-Nut

Sep 19, 2013
    progreso tx
  11. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    that is a TON of cool for $99!!

theflow, Treynor, Caddy and 2 others like this.
  12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm still hung up on the Melody Maker factor and the over-sized pickguard that's even more over-sized ridiculousness.. I suspect that they did this for all the modders to add humbuckers and controls and then still making it look clean. I wonder what the routing cavities are shaped like.

Also.. I can't seem to pinpoint why I am so indifferent to Epiphones -all these SGs, Jrs, Specials, the 100s, etc. They really do nothing for me and they seem to remind me of all the junk guitars of the late 70s. Not that are junk, hardly at all. My nephew buys up all these SGs, Jrs and Specials all the time for under $50. Yet I won't go "below" a G-400.

At the same time and at the same price points, I love all the Squiers. :confused:

13. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    I'm kinda in the same boat, if I pay a hundred for a guitar I want it to originally cost in the 400.00 zone because I always buy used. Maybe in a few months I could grab one for 35.00 Someone around here had a black special p-90 for 165.00 when new there 150.00 go figure. There's a battle going on for the 100.00 to 150.00 market right now.

nobucks, squierTony and so1om like this.
  14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What I have also known and encountered is that Epiphones all seem to vary greatly. My nephew and I have G-400s, maybe 1 year apart. His has this baseball bat of a neck that I would run away from. Mine is slim and fast and one of the best in the collection. Why so different? There seems to be more regular consistency with Squiers that I have come across.

I would buy Squiers sight-unseen all day -and I have. Epiphones? I would want to go over that with a fine tooth comb before even considering a purchase.

Hotrodleroy likes this.
  15. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    I know what you mean about necks, but I'm the opposite I like a big fat neck that fills my hand. When I had cv's the necks always seemed too thin, because of the size of my hands. My epi custom has a fat neck and I love it, the epi dot has a fat neck, but just a tad smaller.

Caddy, nobucks and so1om like this.
  16. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    How can YOU hear the voices in MY head???!! Neat trick

17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My brother has 4 Jack Casady basses. All 4 of them are different. Slightly different pickup placement (I think Jack's request), the neck of his early white one matches the newest wine red bass. The position of the bridge on the black one is a goo 3/8" to 1/2" different! It's almost as if they are handmade without any regard to consistency.

Hotrodleroy likes this.
  18. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Why does the truss cover on his say "Olympic" and the guitar on the Epiphone website says "SL" on the truss cover, more than one variation of this guitar?.

theflow and so1om like this.
  19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've owned a total of one (1) Epiphone in my life, and I still have it but I have only played it for less than an hour. It's an Epiphone Sheraton II (in natural finish) that I got in a straight-up trade for my TC Electronics BG250 bass combo. I like it ... more or less ... but the neck is a little too thick for my tastes. It's definitely on my bucket list to sell.

I'm somewhat intriqued by how this SL will sound. The reviewer said it doesn't really sound like a Telecaster or like a Strat but seems to have its own sound. To me it sounds something like a Tele but with more bite, nearly in P90 territory.

Treynor and nobucks like this.
  20. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Good catch!

Again.. My 60 Melody Maker and my 60s Epiphone Olympic

mm0.jpg EPi.jpg