First Act guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Dr Improbable, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Anyone tried these? They have some retro looks and low prices. Examples:

br5t1q1dfa3m93qjmva00sjc5g.jpg

first-act-garagemaster.jpg

theflow, ADLGMT8, squierbilly and 8 others like this.
  2. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
  3. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    I don't think First Act is making regular sized guitars anymore (there may be a couple of exceptions), but used ones usually can be found at shopgoodwill.com. They actually had a custom shop back in 2010, some of which sell for a grand or more on the Reverbs or at Guitar Center. I'll be gigging with a used ME105 bass next week.
    100_0429 (1).JPG

4. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Interesting! That's a cool bass. is it full scale or 32"?

5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    IMG_2728.PNG

I have my eyes on this one. For the price you can't go wrong. I've never owned or even played one, but I have heard enough good about them that I want to try one.

6. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    It's 32", which makes it rather comfortable me. Solid poplar wood with a K-Mise (from evil Amazon!) Gotoh 2o1B bridge knock-off and a couple of new alpha pots. No fret wear, which is usually the case with these beginner instruments. Christmas or birthday gifts that are tinkered with and soon abandoned Sounds like a P-bass and rather light... I'll be playing with a real gear snob narcissist next week who suckered me in to subbing for his bass player/ second guitar player so I thought I'd make him bristle with my bass selection. I gotta shlep a guitar rig and a bass rig, plus I have to learn 50 songs (40 bass, 10 guitar) of banality. My couch is not happy. 100_0424.JPG 100_0423 (1).JPG

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Here's my hacked up one. A fun little guitar.

2018 First Act.jpg

8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I have a ME302 - it's first act's rendition of a tele - I love mine - it's currently stock - but I plan on only changing the pickups , maybe the pots.

9. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I've got 7 FA guitars. Average cost $30. Some aspects of them are superior to Squiers, such as a beefier neck. Great humbuckers on some models.

Good modding platforms if you want to try a few things you're curious about without taking a more valuable guitar out of circulation. The negatives are thick poly paint jobs, poor routing in the cavities, including openings from the trem cavity to the pickup routs. Only one of mine has bad fret ends (LP clone), but nevertheless is a guitar I play a lot due to light weight and great pickups.

Good sources for cheap bodies, like the Strat/Tele hybrid in pic 3 (Overtone) and the hard tail Strat body in pic 5.

2007-01-01 13.44.54.jpg IMG_20161025_100027079_HDR.jpg IMG_20171103_143009503_HDR.jpg IMG_20170423_155942409.jpg IMG_20170225_174448933.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    187828BB-1D3B-4707-B64D-B5B6763001FD.jpeg CDADDDF7-F000-4149-9BE7-E68171BDCADA.jpeg Not bad at all - left it stock

11. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have seen a few that are quite ok if you want to put in a bit of elbow grease and time. Then others that will slice up your hand from splinters or fret ends or the strings. I have heard of one or two, such as the Slash/VW being a good one better than the 2 categories I listed above.

I have never seen one that would ever make me inclined to look a second time though.

12. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Is that tele hybrid "pool" routed ?

theflow likes this.
  13. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    I had the VW for a while. Fun guitar with some cool onboard effects and good sounding pickups.

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

No, bridge bucker routed. But one can change that readily! I filled the trem cavity too, with the help of some Bondo. Notice the sloppy factory routing at the side of the pickup rout where it broke into the spring cavity on the back side.

2007-01-05 07.43.22.jpg 2007-01-06 07.14.48.jpg 2007-01-01 14.47.49.jpg 2007-01-13 05.02.30.jpg 2007-01-02 12.15.04.jpg

15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    theflow and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

No way, Jose! The Strat jack plate makes for much nicer playing/cable management when seated, which I am most of the time I'm playing. I'm 70, by the way.

17. 9fears08

9fears08 Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2017
    Bristol
    I used to have a base model Sheena a bit like this which I bought brand new for £49 (plus a strap and picks) and it was fantastic. I’m not saying ‘for the money..’ I mean it was maybe marginally better than my Squier VM Custom II Tele in fit and finish. Sounds I never really gave it a proper go, it was my sofa guitar mainly cos acoustically it was quite loud.

Ended up giving it to a family member..just cos I had too many guitars..if you can believe that!! ;D

18. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    @Michael7 > Yea, we talked about this before. I have two Overtone models. I like them a lot. Nice necks. 12" radius, jumbo frets , Fender scale. The pickups on them are pretty good. I bought one for $15 and the other for $30. Funny guitars. Like they don't know what they want to be: Tele body made out of heavy wood. Definitely not basswood. Strat trem and single humbucker bridge pickup. 3x3 headstock. The neck feels like it wants to be an SG or LP. Treat it to a fret level and smooth the edges and it's fast and smooth. Funny, because Fender came out with a Tele equipped with a Strat trem recently. The FA neck pocket will fit a Squier neck. But like I said, I like the necks they came with. I could do without the Gumby shaped headstocks though. I reshaped one of them slightly Gibsonesque.

I think First Act had three tiers of guitars. The really crappy kids guitars, some midrange guitars equal to Squier quality or better and the custom shop guitars. The custom shop stuff was really nice and really expensive. Not Gibson expensive but well into four figures $US.

My local GC had two beautiful Delia models come in the shop. One trans green, one trans blue. Both with gold appointments. They looked like they were brand new. A Lola model came in with them also in excellent condition. I don't think anyone knew what they were. The tags were around $1,000 for the Delias when they came into the shop. They sat there for months as the tag prices dropped about $100 less each month or so. Finally, the prices dropped to about $400 and someone snatched all three of them up. I wish I could have afforded the blue one. Really beautiful guitars. Professional quality.

I see FA guitars all the time on letgo and offerup. Definitely on eBay but then there are shipping costs. I have one pawnshop in town that has a load of different models. I recently bought and flipped one of the last models produced. The short scale Adam Levine model for ten bucks from a guy in my neighborhood. It pretty much sucked because of the bridge and tuners. But the pickup sounded great. I was going to pull the pup and ditch the rest. But as soon as I put it for sale in letgo a guy bought it for $40 because his kid was an Adam Levine fan. Only time I ever made money on a guitar! I actually was asking $30, but I think the guy saw me in my wheelchair and gave me $40. I think he felt sorry for me being paralyzed!

These midrange guitars can be had for anywhere from $30 - $70 bucks with some negotiation. Some folks are getting hip to them and ask unusually high prices. Someone above mentioned that folks get them as gifts and realize it's too hard to learn how to play, so there are lots of them out there with little to no wear. That's about what I've experienced. But some have been banged around a bit also. Those still have nice frets on them tho.

Well, that's about all I have to say about that.

19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Headstock modifié.jpg

Then I almost put my name on it. Too much work, didn't do it.

LOGO Gaudet.jpg

20. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Yep, that's what I'm talking about. You're looks pretty good! I tried to paint the headstock to match the silver in the body but it came out looking like crap. Oh well, another job for another day. Right now, I shimmed the nut up so the action is pretty high and use it as an open E slide guitar. Not that I actually play good slide but I try...