Firefly guitars back; upcoming a $140 thinline "Tele" with alnicos for $140

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ralph124C41, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Two things

The Firefly 335 clone is back on Amazon. Same $139.91 price. Same four finishes ... red, black, sunburst and blue burst. So .....

And I just emailed the Firefly rep and was told that new line of thinline Tele clones are due out later this month. Price will be $135 to $140 (I'm guessing probably the same as the present 335 clones).

However the new thinline will have alnico pickups. Yes. AlNiCo pickups. And I think they will still have a bone nut. The Amazon early listing say they will be Alnico 5s but I haven't confirmed that yet.

I've seen the pictures for the suggested finishes and they include a light blue (think Daphne blue) and a bright green (Metal Green) ... but I have no idea until they actually come out.

If you go to Amazon and input Firefly guitar and hit the out-of-stock listing you can see all of the models or their prototypes. There are also prototypes (I guess) of a brownish-red and a gold-topped 335 clone but I have no idea about when (or if) they will be produced but I've read they are planned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...itar&ie=UTF8&qid=1549376216&tag=squiertalk-20

2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Not the Metal Green? I'm guessing that has a metal-flake finish?

As I said I don't know what colors definitely they will come in. But I have just emailed the Firefly rep so I should know fairly soon.

Hmmm ... one thing I noticed in these prototype pictures is that the edges of the F holes show no binding . I hope the finished models have a binding. The edges are bound on the 335 clones. I also wonder if the body shape may be adjusted a little bit so as not to conflict with the Fender/Squier design. that was one of the complaints about the 335 clone is that the ears seemed to have been redesigned with the first versions looking very similar to the iconic Gibson 335 guitar but newer models (like my blue burst) having ears that look like the offspring of a 335 and an Ibanez Artcore. LOL

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    How is the quality on the 335s? On par with what other maker or perhaps series of Squiers?

I'm assuming cheap pickups and small pots, etc.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I know next to nothing about the tech end but I've read it has cheap pickups and small pots ... but the pickups sound very good and clear to me, but I also play as clean as possible. I will tell you the neck pickup sounds a lot clearer than did the ceramic neck humbucker on my Ibanez AS73.

As for quality control compared to Squiers I would say it is not as good generally. There are 404 reviews or something like that over at Amazon with an overall rating of more than 4 stars. However some of the faults shown are really, really inexcusably bad ... pickups not working, etc. A recent reviewer showed pics of how his frets were gouged out in a straight line for about eight frets. Now how did that get through quality control?

But most reviewers were very happy and Amazon has a great customer service system I think for returns.

dbrian66 and backporchmusic like this.
  5. burke

burke Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2014
    florida
    Ive been wanting one for a while now, Im definitely holding out for the dark Brown one.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I have no info, as I said, about when or even if it will be released.

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
    Pots, caps, switch, jack can be upgraded for $30 to the same stuff found in $3,000 guitars so don't be too frightened.

I've found some 'cheap import' pickups beat out the MIA favorite aftermarket pickup options.
    The import pickups may actually be hand wound...at least the coil measurements show that kind of fingerprint.

8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    The goldtop 335 style looks like it might be interesting.

9. notme

notme Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    The Firefly 335 types are outstanding for the price they go for. I love mine!

dbrian66, Eddie and johnnywizzo like this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well, this is interesting. The Firefly seller has replied to a question that a "green" finish version will be available in two to three months. There are no pre-release photos available on Amazon and I haven't seen anything confirming its sale on the Firefly (Firebird) Facebook page where I have read every post and reply. So I had no idea a green finish was coming.

Apparently the gold-top 335er is a priority. I also know FB users have asked for some sort of an emerald green or green burst model so maybe that is what the Firefly rep was talking about.

The Firefly reps on FB also said an LP is in the works/discussion and that a hardshell case for the 335er should be available in two to three months.That last makes sense because people have been paying as much, if not more, for a case for their Firefly.

Btw, I am glad to report a price DROP for a couple of the Firefly models. The blue burst and the red finish models were $139.91 but now they are $139.90!

It's like the new old saying, "A penny saved ... is worthless."

dbrian66, Eddie and Loin Lover like this.
  11. notme

notme Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Fyi there are returned semis on ebay for $89, selling fast.

12. burke

burke Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2014
    florida
  13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've seen these, too. Generally you can find the Firefly at higher price on eBay so I'm assuming somebody buys a bunch of them from Amazon at the $140 price, waits until they go out of stock, and then resells them at a higher price.

However, at a lower price? Are these somehow guitars that were returned to Amazon/Firebird (the distributor for the Firefly guitars) and then sold to the eBay? I note they are marked as used and the seller is refusing returns ... but that happens a lot at eBay. With $10 shipping for the ones I've seen they are only $40 less than a new one but the again at under $100 maybe a worthwhile gamble?

14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=132949531301

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=132949540545

so one blue burst, some sunburst and ... that's it. I am pretty certain earlier today I saw a red-finish one but I think there was only one left so I guess it's gone. And the blue will go too because they are sold out on Amazon.

UPDATE: I just tried to do a dummy order for the sunburst model(s) and a red warning tag (Danger, Ralph, Danger!) came out that said this was also the last sunburst model. No I didn't buy it ...

15. notme

notme Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    On another forum someone says they bought 2 of these cheap ebay ones and one was no issues the other had a nut cut too deep. But yea I would go for the new amazon one again if I needed another.

16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Me, too. I did go ahead and returned that blue burst because I was still worried about that bridge post sticking up too far. Amazon even refunded my money before I returned the guitar becuase I debated about returning it and only did so with a few days left in my return window. However Amazon did warn me that if it did get the guitar in a timely manner it reserved the right to cancel my refund.

So for $40 more for a new instrument backed by Amazon's return policy I would get the Amazon entry. And the guitars seem to be restocked in about 15 to 25 days. Of course I always worry that will not happen or somebody at Firebird (Firefly) will finally get wise and jack the price up to about $200 or so. That can happen. Remember when the Squier VM JMs and Jags rose to $399 from $299? I know Squier kept the prices low for a loooooong time but still that 33 percent jump was a shock to me ... not the increase itself but the magnitude of the increase.

17. newscaster

newscaster Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2018
    Nevada
    I ordered an orange one. I have one of their 335 knockoffs and love it, especially for the price.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  18. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Btw, the price is $136.91. I was trying to edit the title of this post I created but I gave up.

Btw2, those other versions of the original semi-hollow guitars are still planned as far as I know. Some other colors include an "ice tea" finish which intrigues me because there are so many different interpretations of ice-tea finishes. I hope it's not the red-and-yellow version, however.

squierTony likes this.
  19. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    I just ordered an orange one also. I happen to be in Italy at the moment, and was afraid to wait until I return to the States in case they sell out. How is that for long - distance gas?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    notme likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice