Finally Got A Round Toit

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Rollmeaway, May 4, 2018.

1. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    So, I had this really nice looking Silver burst Starcaster Strat. I think I posted a few pics of it on here. I put a big block Fender Mexi bridge and locking tuners on a Mighty Mite neck on it. It played real nice but the ultra cheap pickups and electronics had to go.

So I have been trying to boil my little assortment of guitars down to around five or six. I got lucky a few weeks ago. I sold a beautiful black Squier Affinity I had up for sale for a long time. I think I broke even on it too.

I think I'm about set up for a good range of tones on guitars that I really like to play. I have a LP special I with P90's, a LP special ii with humbuckers, a Squier Bullet with P90's, a Squier FMT Standard with custom wound 54's pups. A Hardtail Squier Bullet. All modded with upgraded bridges, locking tuners and a few with tusq xl nuts and other things like upgraded pots and simplified wiring. I really like to get the volume knob out of the way on the Strats with one vol and one tone control. And I like simple.

Well I had an idea for the Starcaster. I slowly gathered all the parts I was going to use but was just too tired to get up and work on it. But, I finally got around to it. (A Round Toit) See what I did there yuk, yuk...

Well my plan was to put a set of rail pups into a black pearloid PG. Two Belcat alnico 5 rails in the neck and middle and one of those big ol' clunky looking A5 quad rails at the bridge. You know, the humbucker sized things. I'm moving kind of slow lately so I did a little at a time. Anyway it's done now and I like it. It's got a three way switch, one vol, one tone, 500k CTS pots. The tone pot is a no-load pot I put in just for curiosity. And in case anything sounded too muddy or bassy. Oh yea, it's got a treble bleed mod in it. Again, just in case it has problems at low volumes. The three way switch is in simple mode. 1-bridge, 2-middle and 3-neck. No combo pickup modes. I planned it like that and I like it like that. The three pups have their own unique sound. The sound exceeded my expectations. I play almost always through the clean channel on my Mustang amp. These pickups are very articulate, at volume you can hear all the notes on bar chords. Cowboy chords ring clear and the tone pot provides lots of variation in tones. I'm very happy with it. I have to get a logo made up calling her "Jane". Let's see if any of the pictures are viewable.

DSCN1622.JPG
    DSCN1644.JPG
    DSCN1653.JPG

I have a shakey hand and a crappy camera. It looks better in person. This is the last job I'm doing. I plan on trying to play as much as I can now. You can see it's decked and five springs are tightened up so that bridge ain't gonna move. I usually block the bridge but I don't need it here.

I still have my stock SE, a Danelectro '56 u2 first reissue and my twin First Act Overtones.

Best regards to all...

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Cool looking guitar - love what you did w it ... and I’m diggin the rails!

3. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA

4. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Looks great! Bet it sounds great too!

5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Nice work. @Eddie needs to see this as he is heavily into rails. Enjoy your creation and have fun.

6. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Definitely a beauty. I love rails. It's even better with a 7 way switch and coil tapping for all rails. Totally amazing !!!

7. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Looks gorgeous !

8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    That's probably the best looking Starcaster I have ever seen - Black Pearl looks fantastic ! ! Excellent work Danny ! Congrats !

9. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I do belive that is the finest looking strat I have ever seen. Good work.... Take the rest of the day off and get playing with Jane!!!

10. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    That turned out nice! Black pearl looks great with Silverburst, so much better than a black (or white) guard would.

11. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Very nice work!!

12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Always great work! I love the concept you did with the circuit!

13. archetype

archetype Squier-Meister

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Years ago, when I said "I'll get around to it," the person I was talking to pulled a 'round toit' out of his pocket and gave it to me. It was some kind of plated coin that said Round Toit on both sides. I kept it in my pocket with my change for a couple of years and threw it away after finding no opportunity to use it during that time.

There. You're welcome.

theflow and Rollmeaway like this.
  14. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Jane's hot. You gotta be Guitarzan. Nice looking work Danny! Nice to grab all those tones out of one axe, too. I am also a big fan of rails sand splitting coils.

15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I think I told you before, I like the look of that silverburst even better than the MIM, or USA models. I hope it’s the rockin beast you’re hoping for!

16. Vinny29

Vinny29 Squier Talker

May 6, 2018
    Canton, Ohio

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  17. Vinny29

Vinny29 Squier Talker

May 6, 2018
    Canton, Ohio
    Great looking Starcaster. Is the body full width?

18. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Nice Work....! Good choice of neck..You turned that Starcaster into a Star-Gazer ! Has to have some "crunch" Too. I'm intoit !!!!!

19. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Yes, the body is full width (thickness) and heavy. Alder, ash? Definitely not light like basswood. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I had a guy come on Offerup with the exact same guitar the day I had to go down to Augusta VA for my annual checkup. He was asking $60 for the guitar, amp and stand. In my town minutes away! It was gone in one day. Bummed me out. I had no time to deal on it. Here it is: (was)

Screenshot_2018-05-15-16-09-00.png

20. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Never, Ever seen one like that, Rollmeaway......A Starcaster?

Nice job....Maybe should be Sweet Jane?????

Very Nice.......willhowl