Figure before you Foil

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by surf green, Apr 28, 2018.

1. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Alright I had to do it......... order a new GFS Gold Foil pickup that is. Their new line of metal gf's included a retro look top mount that was screaming "put me on your tele". They must have known that I was going to order one, and mailed it the day before I pulled the trigger, because it got here in a day.

This is a solid built pickup, by "metal" they mean metal like a '60's chrome bumper not metal like Metallica. Rubber ferrite magnet (also alnico 5 option), available in 5 or 6K.

It specs out at 5/8" high, so I knew that was going to be a tight squeeze in the neck position of most guitars, but sometimes you gotta see for yourself. Well kids, it don't.........fit, that is. Not stock, it'll take a little adjusting, routing, and figuring. Nothing major, but more than drilling two small screw holes. DSCN2103.JPG DSCN2104.JPG

nobucks, Merv_j, 9fears08 and 15 others like this.
  2. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-Nut

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Sound is good?? U happy with it, love that Tele on the yellowish butterscotch looking , on the right.

3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Solid info from Surf... Great stuff.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    • Gold foil update: I went back to the GFS "new gold foil" page and found the brand new Tele version of metal cover gold foil pickups. Here's a mock-up pic of my "not ready for prime time, foiled again" Sawtooth with ferrite gf's. These babies drop into your tele with no mods to pickguard or bridge, will keep you posted on progress. DSCN2120.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    nobucks, Merv_j, willhowl and 2 others like this.
  5. daan

daan Squier-Nut

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Man I wish I had just bought every yard sale Gold Foil equipped guitar I ran across when I was a kid... I could have retired on what some of those go for now. For what people said about them “back in the day” I NEVER would have guessed A: people would start liking them, and B: someone would make new ones, in multiple sizes. Nice!

nobucks and willhowl like this.
  6. Paully

Paully Squier-holic

May 29, 2014
    Maine USA
  7. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    The problem with them back in the day was the guitars they were attached to. I had an old Tiesco (I think) way back when. It was completely unplayable, junk. Seem to remember that the pickups were pretty hot sounding. Think it ended up in the trash can. Never occurred to me to pull the pickups off first and figure out how to cram them in a decent guitar.

nobucks likes this.