FIFA World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ace38, Jun 14, 2018.

1. mechanic1908

mechanic1908 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Ontario
    Any predictions for tomorrows matches?
    I'm really enjoying the futbol so far.

Ace38 and jersey11 like this.
  2. I don't follow soccer (or sports in general) but the sports reporters tell us "even if you're not a sports fan, you'll like this." o_O
    If you don't have a connection ... you don't find a connection.

Cheers, Barrie.

Merv_j likes this.
  3. jersey11

jersey11 Squier-Meister

Mar 3, 2018
    usa
    waiting for monday matches. go russia and espana.

mechanic1908 likes this.
  4. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Hell of a finish to that Germany match today. I was still hoarse when I went to the movies with a friend an hour later, been awhile since I celebrated like I did Kroos' goal.

Davis Sharp and mechanic1908 like this.
  5. mechanic1908

mechanic1908 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Ontario
  6. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    I enjoy watching the soccer/football but these dudes are the biggest floppers in all of sport, you never know if they are really hurt, most of the time they are not ... weak

7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Kane with the accidental hat trick. The England defense switched off a couple of times in the first half and again on Panama' s goal. They need to work on that.

mechanic1908 likes this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    It's just a few players who give the game a bad rep. Most of the time, those guys are getting kicked on the bone. The ankles are exposed and the shin guards cover about half of the entire bone.

jersey11 and Ace38 like this.
  9. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

I agree.

I think there are a lot of people who generally aren’t into particular sports, but will get swept up by a big event. But there are others who are just switched off completely - regardless of the event or circumstances.

I like several sports, but there are plenty that I’ve no interest in whatsoever. In fact I find that the sports I like, I really like, and the ones I don’t - I detest (at least in terms of high profile sports in the U.K.)

In 2005, England won the Ashes series in Cricket - apparently, it was a massive deal, despite the fact that England and Australia are the only two teams that contest the Ashes. I remember hearing that the whole nation was gripped by it - not
    me. Cricket has never appealed to me whatsoever, even a vague/casual interest, so I just didn’t get into it at all.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  10. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Agreed. They were talking about this on BBC during the game, and saying about when a team is in control of a game so much, and there’s a big gap, it’s easy for the defence to switch off occasionally. I think Belgium had a similar issue on Saturday, against Tunisia. Not so much Tunisia’s first goal, but Khazri’s goal at the end of the game. Belgium were cruising at 5-1, defence switched off, and Tunisia got a second.

When Southgate was interviewed after the game, all though he was pleased with the result, he did say there were elements he wasn’t satisfied with.

It’s funny because the papers here are now going OTT, and they’re reporting about how the public are going OTT and that people think England will win the World Cup. Not true. People are pleased with how things have gone so far, but I think most people are well aware that England are yet to play anyone decent.

But the way things have gone, the team will have confidence, and they seem to get on well with each other - not always the case in big tournaments. Often there’s a team that falls apart. This year, it looks as if it may be Argentina.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  11. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    The Futbol has been entertaining! Love it. If your not a fan of soccer and or just don’t get it, I’m sorry. It’s actually the most beautiful, poetic, strategic, technical, lucky, unlucky, dramatic and political among other things sports in the world. Do they flop sometimes... yes of course, so does the NBA. But imagine running full speed without a ball and someone trips you. Or jumping up in air at full speed and someone else’s head hits you in the head. I once got concussed playing jr high soccer, I didn’t know it at the time but riding home in my mom car, I blacked out. Soccer is aggressive so if you embellish a bit to get a call to go your way so be it. At least now they are reviewing calls and giving out cards for faking! I stopped playing years ago after my buddy broke his leg playing our weekly coaches game, the other guy slide tackled him!

Davis Sharp likes this.
  12. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I dunno if "most" are aware....I've got a lot of English fans on my twitter due to Liverpool connections, and I can't begin to say how many retweets I'm seeing of the "footballs coming home" hashtag. It may be small now, but its spreading.

13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    So things are back to normal, vis-a-vis their inflated quadrennial expectations?

Merv_j and Ace38 like this.
  14. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I imagine it’s hard to not get swept up in the possibilities as an English fan. I can’t think of the last time they had this kind of start. The group stage has certainly been interesting.
    I hate that the US isn’t there. Klinsmann really did a number on the USMNT. Even when the US did great to get out of the “Group of Death” last World Cup, I kept thinking they looked sloppy and lacked conditioning. In US sports we don’t expect to see that. If the USMNT ever gets a version of Saban/Belichick/Jackson it could be interesting.

15. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Yeah.

I think it’s more to do with how the team is performing - not just on the pitch (where they’ve done well, but against two lesser sides), but the dynamics in the squad seem to be working. It’s a group of players that know each other well, as the bulk of them came through the Under 21s set up together - with Southgate as U21s manager. There’s a bit of positivity, and they don’t seem phased or tarnished by past experiences.

The way that the World Cup has gone so far, the tournament has been blown wide open. Some bigger sides have struggled - Argentina, Germany etc. Brazil haven’t looked great. France, who haven’t struggled haven’t looked great either. In all honesty, England have looked like one of the better sides. It counts for nothing - yet, but it does mean that the confidence is there.

There’s loads of people buzzing with how England have started, and there’s a lot of optimism about that, and about the way the team are conducting themselves. After a lot of overhyped squads in the past that have underperformed, a lot of people find it refreshing. I think it’s more looking at something that can be built upon, especially given the recent success of England youth teams in Under 17s and Under 20s World and European Championships, along with the prestigious Toulon tournament last year. It’s like everything has been rebooted.

Acidhouse likes this.
  16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    My sentimental favorite, Iceland, is out. Of the teams that have not yet won the World Cup, Belgium and Croatia look the strongest. Of the teams that have won the World Cup, England looks the best, France seems decent, Uruguay passable, and all the rest should be happy if they make it through.

surfrodguitar likes this.
  17. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Wow!
    South Korea 2-0 Germany.
    Korea’s last minute 2nd decided by VAR.

For you Germany ze VAR is over!
    Sweden and Mexico go through in Group F. Brazil and Switzerland advance from Group E.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  18. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    Where is the laughing button ? Bye bye champs ...

jersey11 likes this.
  19. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

This is getting silly now!

20. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The eternal optimism of England supporters is finally deserved. Congrats.