FIFA World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ace38, Jun 14, 2018.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    That's probably the worst reason I've ever heard to watch anything.

jersey11 likes this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I'm guessing sarcasm. The awardees of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups aren't good examples of tolerance.

oneHenry and Merv_j like this.
  3. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Still, a sick sentiment.

4. oneHenry

oneHenry Squier Talker

May 12, 2018
    North Carolina
    Speaking of the Duke, UNC, and other college rivalries. My partner and I live in Durham, NC, he grew up in the Durham, NC area and went to UNC. He has told me how to identify the graphics and color coding for the fans' clothing; there are even specific shades of blue to identify the fans of certain schools.

For being in such a red neck state, Raleigh-Durham has quite a few universities with very diverse specialties, primarily in the science/technical fields. There is a very large industrial park here, called Research Triangle Park (RTP), and the three corners are anchored by three major research universities: NC State, Duke, and UNC Chapel Hill.

5. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Nut

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Cheers for your support brother...I wish I enjoyed watching us as much!

Agree with your post btw!

Acidhouse and Merv_j like this.
  6. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Nut

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Yeah it doesn't sit well with us over here either. Cultural or whatever. Diving is cheating.

You might see England players do it but it doesn't mean the fans like it.

Take Saurez when he came to Liverpool. Outstanding player. No one liked him (apart from Liverpool fans). He's a cheat.

Acidhouse likes this.
  7. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Yeah, not something I like. It’s become so ingrained that I think a lot of players do it, because if they didn’t, they and their teams would be at a disadvantage.

mechanic1908 likes this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    So, who watched Spain - Portugal? On the first goal, Ronaldo "drew the foul," as they say in basketball. Nacho's shot was either amazing or lucky. Probably the latter, as he's a defender.

9. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Nut

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Nothing lucky about that. Trust me. His technique was excellent.

Players in any position in top teams are as skilled as they've ever been.

Take someone like Roberto Carlos. He was a defender and this wasn't lucky...

Ace38, Merv_j and LutherBurger like this.
  10. ADLGMT8

ADLGMT8 Squier-Meister

Jan 6, 2018
    NA
  11. mechanic1908

mechanic1908 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Ontario
    I'm a fan of Brazil and my wife goes for Germany.

jersey11 likes this.
  12. oneHenry

oneHenry Squier Talker

May 12, 2018
    North Carolina
    South Ameri
    At a restaurant I was in years ago, there was a soccer game on TV, and I heard a South American commentator who was probably the most enthusiastic commentator I have ever heard for any sport. He seemed to be quite excited during the entire game, and when there was a goal, he shouted "GOAL, GOAL, GOAL ...". I really enjoyed hearing his enthusiasm. I don't recall hearing any other commentators who had anything close to the South American commentator's enthusiasm.

Ace38 and Acidhouse like this.
  13. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    The commentators on the Spanish-language TV channels are the best for soccer and boxing. I don't speak or understand much Spanish, but with those guys announcing, you don't really need to. :)

Acidhouse likes this.
  14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I like the VW "Jump on the Wagen" ads where actors, representing the various WC countries, try to convince US fans to support their countries. E.g. Iceland, "We don't have enough people to do the wave."

15. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    They're starting to feel overplayed though, I think they run them about 100 times a game. Except the Brazil one..I like that one.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  16. FretYeNot

FretYeNot Squier-Nut

Jan 8, 2015
    UK
    I got Germany in the office sweepstake and I thought it would be strange to be rooting for them even though they can play wonderful football ... and so it proved as Mexico played out of their skins to beat them today.
    I'm really enjoying the games so far. Ronaldo vs Spain was compelling stuff – even the missus got sucked in to that one, great game. It's Football Christmas for us footie lovers for the next month.
    As for England, I'm pretending not to care but will no doubt end up being shredded on the sofa at some point. At least expectations seem to be reined in so far, but a couple of results and the frenzy will kick in.
    As for the eventual winners? No idea, I just hope it's someone different from the usual suspects.

Merv_j, Davis Sharp and Ace38 like this.
  17. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
  18. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Ace38 likes this.
  19. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

There’s been some interesting results so far. I think Mexico’s win over Germany is being wrongly portrayed as a shock. Germany were definitely the favourites, but Mexico are a long established footballing nation with decent players. It’s not like they are minnows in the world of football.

Group G went as expected on Monday with Belgium beating Panama, and England’s win over Tunisia. In the latter game, England exploded out the blocks before being pegged back from a penalty. I think a few people were panicking, but I actually thought the team were OK, remained calm and they got a deserved late winner.

I think that game also highlighted that there’s still some work to do re VAR as Harry Kane was practically wrestled to the ground, which was picked up easily enough on TV, but missed by VAR - which FIFA themselves acknowledged yesterday.

Group H is completely on its head, because both underdogs won. Japan beating Columbia for me is the biggest shock so far. Then Senegal went and beat Poland.

Russia beating Egypt 3-1 last night was more impressive than their 5-0 win over Saudi Arabia, who are a dreadful side. Egypt on the other hand have some decent players, though Salah clearly isn’t anywhere near 100% fit.

Acidhouse and Davis Sharp like this.
  20. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Note to England's opponents: mark Harry Kane at the far post. He scored both goals from about the same spot, didn't he?

The TV commentators here were arguing over Senegal's 2nd goal. I froze the screen. When the ref waved the injured Senegalese player to come back on, the ball was 20 feet in the air on the Senegal side and posed no danger. The returning player availed himself of a bad back pass and a nonchalant Polish defender.

Ace38 likes this.