FIFA World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ace38, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Who's watching? Who ya rooting for? If you're in OK and picking up the Fox 23 feed of todays game, along with Portugal/Spain tomorrow, you'll get to see the commercial I directed, did the voiceover, chose the cast and even have a brief (very brief) on screen moment for!

Rooting for Germany here, as always.

jersey11 and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The US is out, so my sentimental favorite is Iceland :). They have an outside shot of advancing to the round of 16.

I'd like to see a different team win it - maybe Belgium.

Ace38 likes this.
  3. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I will probably be rooting for England. Over the years, it's become fun to watch them. They always seem on the verge of turning a corner but never quite getting there. From an outsider's perspective, it's easy to see that the issues for them are more on the sports-psychological side but they always come up with the weirdest reasons why they can't return to glory. Thatcher got rid of school yards. The kids are too busy playing video games, other sports are taking away from "football", Corbyn is part of a Communists plot to end all sports, (okay, I made the last one up). Anyway, it's fun to root for England because I can watch and then read all the brutal press that follows.

Merv_j, jersey11 and Ace38 like this.
  4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I do not follow soccer at all, but I know a lot of people do. It's a very exciting time for them.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

jersey11 and Ace38 like this.
  5. jersey11

jersey11 Squier-Meister

Mar 3, 2018
    usa
    gotta go with mother russia;)

Ace38 likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Inside info? Have you intercepted the messages on payoffs to FIFA?;)

jersey11, Acidhouse and Ace38 like this.
  7. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    Netherlands is out of the question.... Belgium? i don't really watch/follow footbal much though :oops:

Merv_j and Ace38 like this.
  8. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    England naturally although I fully expect us to limp out early as we always do. After that I'll be rooting for Egypt or Brazil (for Mo an Bobby)!

ADLGMT8, Merv_j and Ace38 like this.
  9. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Ahh, the Toronto Maple Leafs of the World Cup,...:D:D:D:D:D

Acidhouse, jersey11 and Ace38 like this.
  10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I love the game (played for 11 years; team captain, state championhips, MVP, etc.) but I have difficulty watching World Cup matches. I try sometimes, but I have to stop when I see a grown man throw himself on the ground and roll around like he's been shot in the face with napalm, because an opposing player touched him. :mad:

I hope there's not much of that this time.

11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I hope they use the instant replay... excuse me, video assistant referee, to clamp down on fakery. The absolute worst of it happens in Central and South America. If a team is leading, its players drop like flies to run out the clock. It really used to tick me off in CONCACAF qualifying, but we pay them back when we schedule winter matches in Denver.

12. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

In the 2010 WC in South Africa there was one occasion where someone pulling that one was warned that if he tried it one more time, he'd be staked to the ground just before sun set so that the local Leopards prowling around could have their way with him.
    Not suprisingly the player in question took the warning to heart,...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

13. jersey11

jersey11 Squier-Meister

Mar 3, 2018
    usa
    eight years later, and i'm still haunted by the noise of a damn vuvuzela...

14. jersey11

jersey11 Squier-Meister

Mar 3, 2018
    usa
    this shoulder shrug photo says it all after a goal at '10... 20180614_112656.jpg
    "we fix elections, what did you expect?":D

Ace38 likes this.
  15. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Bummer USA isn’t in it. Would love to see Costa Rica go deep and Aus but most likely that won’t happen.

frankp and Ace38 like this.
  16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    That's cruel. :D I wouldn't want to do anything physical at that altitude, even on a perfect Spring day.

Around 30 years ago, during my first visit to a girlfriend's house in Santa Fe, NM (I lived in West Texas), I went out for a short run and thought my chest was going to explode.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Ace38 likes this.
  17. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Go Germany Go! :)

Ace38 likes this.
  18. scarronm

scarronm Squier Talker

Jun 10, 2018
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    My Paraguay did not qualify, so the next best team for me to root is Uruguay!!!
    If Uruguay is disqualified I will go through root for other South American teams, with Argentina and Brazil in last place.

Qualifiers in south america are brutal. I think it is the tougher region to qualify from.

This year Argentina is not supposed to be as good, they struggled in qualifiers, but they are always a different team when they get to the World Cup, you can't ignore them. Brazil is capable of both greatness and total mental collapse, when they are on nobody can beat them, but they have never been a tactically organized team.

If all south american teams are out I will turn away and play my guitars.

Afrika61 and Ace38 like this.
  19. scarronm

scarronm Squier Talker

Jun 10, 2018
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Having grown in South America I have a different opinion about this. Trying to feign a foul is absolutely part of the game. Playing at the edge of the rules is actually a huge component of football, part of its culture. I enjoy it, it might sound strange but it shows total commitment, willingness to put your team ahead of your own dignity. If a player does not do it he is portrayed as selfish in south america.

That is one of the nice things about football, it is such a global sport that you can appreciate a huge variety of cultural influences, from the tactical discipline of Germany, to the Brazil's beautiful game.

Ace38 likes this.
  20. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    We have the same thing here. It’s called the NBA.

jersey11 and Ace38 like this.