FGD (Finished Guitar Day) Strat SE

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by SquierTap, Mar 13, 2019.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    So, I never finished the build thread on my '12 CXS SE Strat... At the very LAST possible step, the finish went South on me... The important thing I learned is that TruOil MAY be a "polymer" after it sits and "gasses off"... But DO NOT add a lil dish soap to your water when you're wet sanding! Lol... Wound up with a green runny mess, lol... Not THAT bad... But I just steered into the skid and made this my "Old Blue jeans" guitar... Lol... It looks (and feels) like an old pair of jeans, only green... GreenJeans?

Anyway, I call this my "Prima Verde" guitar... Because it's green and because it was my very FIRST attempt at modding. So I decided to go big. I stripped it to the bare wood and replaced every single part I could. This was my "I need to learn how to work on my own stuff" guitar... And it worked!

2. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    And I know I need some more good "finished" pics at the end... I ordered a "TriStar" Tennessee logo and it wouldn't stick... So I plan on wood burning it in there like a ranch "brand"... Like I said, steer into the skid, lol...
    IMG_20190204_090430795.jpg

TEXINGA, MrYeats, cool gouhl and 11 others like this.
  3. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Good work, excellent job.

4. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Thanks for the tip. I add a tiny bit of dish soap when I wet sand. Gonna redo a neck with that true oil and wax.

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
  6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, man... Not bad for a 59 dollar guitar...

And you guys here that said your SE has a chunky neck... You ain't kiddin! Lol... But I like it, too...

7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    TruOil is about as simple as it gets... I don't know about necks, but when you're using it to finish a body, it takes a LOT of coats to get that "mirror" shine... I think I used around 20 coats... But it sure does look more "natural" and great...

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    That's pretty sweet.. how does it sound?

9. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    NICE JOB, A labor of love i'm sure.

10. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
  11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Looks Great Tap - great work ! Congrats !

TEXINGA, dbrian66 and SquierTap like this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Sad trombone sound... Lol... Not good... I wasn't crazy about the way it played until it got a badly needed truss rod adjustment, now it plays well...
    And even though I replaced every part, I still didn't know how to solder very well at all... So, I cheated, lol... and the very FIRST thing I ever soldered was this preloaded pickguard...
    It's a HSS, but it sounds way too bright, and way too thin... So I plan on first, switchin out those cheap little tiny 500 k pots... And I suspect the single coils will be alright after that, and I've got a bridge humbucker from an LP Special II, and everybody knows how hot and great those sound... So I'm hoping I can wax pot it (it'll be my first attempt) and get it in there...

13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, Brother Ken...
    Not as nice as some of your axes, but not bad for a guy that couldn't change his own strings a year ago, huh?
    Lol...

14. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Looks okay to me and sounds like you learned a ton. Plus - a lot of satisfaction in doing for oneself. Sounds like "mission accomplished." Nice job!

15. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the video! Nicely done. I like the music in the background as well. Was that you playing?

16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, hoss...
    Hey, sometimes accidents happen... If you freak out about every little thing that doesn't go according to the plan, that's ALL you'll be doin, lol... And you won't notice "happy lil accidents" like this finish...
    And you're right, I can do my own mods now, and besides the zen, chill-factor of workin on my own stuff, I know what's done, and how well it's done! Lol...

MrYeats likes this.
  17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Naw, that was all Google photos doin, lol... Kinda cool it auto-selected that song... I just threw the pics in order, rendered it, and uploaded it, lol...

dbrian66 and MrYeats like this.
  18. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    Reminds me of someone I know..You think you had GAS before. You will never pass up another fifty dollar Squier in a pawn shop again....Great start into the "businesss".

SquierTap, GEECEE and dbrian66 like this.
  19. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    ...oh yeah. Yes indeed :eek: LOL!!!!!!

SquierTap likes this.
  20. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol... It did spark quite the GAS fire, lol... To look at guitars, (like MOST guitars) and see "potential" instead of what's really sittin on the stand...

But, for the first time ever, I'm totally happy with my sound, my guitars, my amps, and my tones... It's kinda strange, after I got my Joyo Ultimate Drive pedal, I was "done"... Or as close as we SquierNuts CAN be to "done", lol...
    But you know how that it, you always "need" one more... Lol...
    And for me that's a Jazzmaster with P-90s...
    I've been SERIOUSLY considering that Affinity Jazzmaster, it's only $199, man!
    But alas, it has humbuckers, not 90s... But I guess I could get the black one (the one I want) and use it for heavier stuff... And if I'm not crazy about the humbuckers, just get some good P-90s from Guitar Madness and throw in it...

I've got my Strat, my Tele, My LP Special II (with newly installed KILLER Guitar Madness Super 8 humbuckers), my Alvarez acoustic/electric, my Squier basses, my mandolin, and my banjo...
    And my Katana 100 for recording and gigging and my lil Peavey Vypyr 15 to practice in the house...
    And besides P-90s that's all I can think of that I need to get ANY sound I "need"...

But as far as "wants" go, I'd like to get this SE soundin good, and I recently was lookin for a "metal" guitar and started looking at guitars with humbuckers... BEFORE I re-did my LP... So I bought one of the Bullet Mustangs, and so far, I just haven't got it like I like... The shorter scale doesn't bug me, but it's SO light that it just feels like a toy... And I bought some nice, Fender locking tuners for it (I know, I know, they cost almost as much as the whole guitar! Lol... But I can always put 'em on my number one Strat and put the stock Bullet tuners back on the Stang) and it gave it SERIOUS neck-dive... Lol...
    I thought maybe I just didn't like Mustangs, because my Bullet is the first and only one I've ever played...
    but they had a VM on the wall at GC recently and that ain't it... It felt great... Sturdy, heavy, low action, great neck...

I used to die inside a little, every time I heard a guy say that they just couldn't "bond" with a guitar, lol... Especially after modding that SE, I was like "Well, CHANGE IT then!"
    But I get it now...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice