Fender vs Squier

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fattboyzz, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Not enough of a difference to warrant the price difference ! ! ! and I didn't even watch it ! ! !

Cause I already have ! lol

2. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    The maple neck is clearer in tone, but then it is maple...Not a good comparison since they are not alike.

3. antiquityscion

antiquityscion Squier-Meister

Aug 27, 2012
    phoenix,az
    I wish we had stats (type of pick ups, and electronics info, type of body wood) and prices for each guitar. But regardless, it is totally a no brainer. No reason to pay out extra cash, when it is mostly down to the player. Squier all the way.

4. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

I’ve said it before but CV and VM Squiers are as good/better than MIM Fenders

5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Proff that tone is more an amp thang ;)

6. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    Or a recording and engineering thing. :rolleyes:

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Sorry to burst your bubble Squier snobs, but as great as my Classic Vibe 60s Strat sounds and plays, my MIM Player Series Strat sounds and plays even greater, and my Am Performer Strat sounds and plays even greaterer. 0373010500_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg Fender-Player-Strat-PF-Sage-Green-Metallic-Front.jpg 80277.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I've not played a Mexican Player Series Strat but the Standards that preceded them did not sound good to my ears. Maybe now they have alnico pickups instead of ceramics, they're better but I would take a Squier Deluxe or CV over an old MiM Standard any day of the week.

9. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I have two MIM Std Strats and two CV Strats. They're a bit different. The CVs have a slimmer neck and the MIM have the satin finish.
    My CVs are excellent instruments. I especially love my CV 60's. My two MIM Std are amazing, my Bk Strat with Maple neck is a gem.
    I have to mention that, all my Strats have been upgraded or personalized with new pickups. I don't like the ceramic pups on the MIM Std.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The new Player Series have great sounding alnico pickups. That was one of the major upgrades over the Mexican Standards, the others being a slimmer 22 fret neck and an American style two point bridge. I didn't like the ceramic Mexican Std pickups either.

11. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I think it was the deciding factor for me, as far as I remember anyway. The Standard I tried felt heavier and a little more substantial than the Squier Deluxe (which wasn't surprising as the Deluxe is made from basswood, I think). The necks....I want to say the Deluxe neck was better but it was 5 years or so ago so my memory is a little hazy. I know it wasn't worse, anyway. The ceramic pickups just didn't sound like a Strat to me, so I went for the Deluxe. I like the Duncan Designed pickups in it but tbh, they aren't really my idea of a classic Strat sound either. Maybe just a bit too modern for an old fool like me. I love overwound humbuckers in 'super strat' guitars but in a Standard Strat, single-coil, alnico Vs with a vintage-ish output are what I love.

12. Cobra

Cobra Squier-Meister

Mar 8, 2018
    Florida
    As much as I like my Squiers my made in USA Strats neck just feels better. It is maple BTY.

Kenneth Mountain and Jim Belaye like this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Honestly..... they are a better value :)

The new player series are some pretty killer guitars , but still out of my reach financially. So I went the Stratosphere route with his loaded guard :)
    IMG_20190602_133228.jpg

I picked up a Deluxe last year and really liked it. Fantastic neck . I liked the pups alot at first ,but I also never bonded with the newish tone of them.
    I sold the body & neck on here ,but kept the neck .

14. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    It is a fantastic neck. I didn't want to say it was better than a MiM Strat because I honestly can't remember, but it feels great, from the smooth 'unfinished finish' on the back, to the nicely (slightly) figured maple 'board on the front.

Kenneth Mountain and fattboyzz like this.
  15. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Internet forum finds that guitars are different..

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    My #1 is a 2008 MIM Standard. However I really like my VM70 and my Squier Standard! I play all of em regularly! Most of the above comments relate to generalizations in my opinion. Not all VMs or CVs or MIMs are the same to other ones of the same model. I just got the right one and I bonded with it! Other MIMs I've played not as much! It could have been a VM or another model that I would have liked best.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  17. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    You could well be right as far as feel and playability are concerned, and I have only played one Squier Deluxe and one MiM Standard, but I have a feeling that ceramic PUPs on a classic-style Strat are just not my bag.

Kenneth Mountain and fattboyzz like this.
  18. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I love Squier/epiphone but if I have my choice to get the “real deal” than I’ll do it. I’ve played a bunch of Squiers/epiphones and I’ll pick a USA Fender over a MIM/any other country Squier any day if I can afford it. Side note, I played my father in laws 1990s Gibson Studio last night, I had a Epiphone Studio...same color, model etc and the Gibson blows it away. No contest. Again, side by side, if I have my choice to pick a USA Fender over Squier/MIM and money’s not a object than all day USA. why not? Life’s short. yolo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth Mountain and Jim Belaye like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice