Fender/Squier MB-4 bass

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by bugo, Apr 12, 2018.

1. bugo

bugo Squier-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Tulsa
    What do you know about the Fender MB-4 and the Squier MB-4 basses? What are the major differences between the two? How much of a quality gap is there between the two? What years were the Fender version made and what years were the Squier version made? Was the Squier version made to use up parts from the older Fender version? I have the Squier MB-4 in black. It is a nice bass, the body is a little small but it plays and sounds great. It does all I ask of it and does it quite well. I know that some MB-4 basses had an ugly skull and crossbones on the body and a skull and crossbones inlay at the 12th fret. There was also an MB-5 5 string bass, but I'm not sure if Fender, Squier or both made it. I would like to find out more about my bass.

Here is the Guitar Center page from the Squier version before it was discontinued:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-mb-4-skull-and-crossbones-electric-bass-guitar

2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have to say I am completely unfamiliar with this particular bass. Where I do have familiarity is with Squier/Fender differences, at times, really having the "budget" line (Squier) being the equal or better than the higher priced offering.

I own a Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special. There are a few minor details with the neck finish and the pickups used in the Fender Jaguar, but for the most part they were the same -yet the VM has the additional bass boost that the higher priced Fender does not. So you are looking at a $200 bass vs. an $850 bass with less features.

@radiotech did extensive research on the Dimension bass. While there were some marked difference such as the Fender top of the line having 18v active circuit and the asymmetrical neck, at even list of $350 for the Squier, it's near hitting the laws of diminishing returns when you're over $1k for the Fender.

When you get into Jazz and P basses, well then it starts to separate out -but I would still take many Squiers over the MIM offerings, guitar or bass.

So really, you'd have to compare the 2 and see if they are in fact different... Sorry!! I'm not much help!!!

radiotech likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I don't know a thing about them, other than I like the look!

I lost out on an auction for the Squier skull one recently at SGW, forgot to go back and up the bid.

As far as differences, I don't know but would bet that is wood, hardware and electronics. Fender being better :) most of the time it is.

There is always a rumor about using up extra Fender parts at the cheaper factories. I would not bet on it.

4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    The MB bass, I know a bit... but Fender has their own nice write up page on it here in “Other Basses
    Basically saying Fender badged were from Japan, and Squier badged were Indonesian. Years of production are in the article.

Additionally, Fender first used the Dimension name on a MIM model, almost identical to the MB in 2004-07, but different colors, and active electronics. Adding to the confusion was the fact it didn’t say “Dimension” anywhere on it. It’s also in the above link.

5. leekirkham

leekirkham Squier-Meister

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    The MB-4 is a pretty good bass. I have owned one before. Nice, slightly-smaller, somewhat-light body (which makes the standard scale neck seem really long), the overall sound is nice, your typical more trebly rock bass, akin to the "hair metal" genre. The main reason I didn't keep mine is that the neck radius is 12", much too flat for my tastes. I prefer the more traditional 9.5" radius. You can usually find these basses at good prices on CL or eBay.

As far as comparison between the Fender and Squier versions - The Fender won't really give you anything that the Squier can't deliver. Plus, I always felt the Squier's headstock shape was nicer looking.

bugo likes this.
  6. brash47

brash47 Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2018
    US
  7. brash47

brash47 Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2018
    US
  8. brash47

brash47 Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2018
    US
    Ok I tried to edit and it replied.

They are asking 110!

9. bugo

bugo Squier-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Tulsa
    I got mine for $200 with a nice little Peavey practice amp. I wanted the bass because I didn't have a bass and I wanted one to record and I like the way this one plays, but I also wanted it because it belonged to my late friend Jim.

Davey and radiotech like this.
  10. leekirkham

leekirkham Squier-Meister

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Those are two very good reasons. RIP Jim, God bless you.

11. bugo

bugo Squier-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Tulsa
    Jim was an interesting guy. He was the bluntest person I've ever known. If he didn't like you he made sure you knew it. I am good friends with his son Jesse, and Jim generally didn't like Jesse's friends. And they were well aware of that fact. You knew exactly where you stood with him. He would them to get the hell out of his house. He never said a single cross word to me. I even worked for him for a few months, and he never said one negative thing to me. That meant a lot to me. I miss him.