Fender Japan 1984 SQ Stratocaster.

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Las Palmas Norte, Aug 7, 2018.

1. A few folks here may recall my purchase last weekend … a 1984 Japan Squier Stratocaster.
    I got down to business of taking this apart for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

I don't think this was ever cleaned or if so, not for a very long time. I started with the bridge … rusty intonation (screws & springs) , height and mounting screws. I had to replace those but the blocks and plate came up with a CLR soak and Peek metal polish.

SQ-01.jpg

SQ-02.jpg

SQ-03.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

2. Next up was opening the pick guard.
    Nasty shielding tape everywhere. I removed that after a tedious hour and solvent to remove tape residue.
    I want to return this to it's original state.

SQ-04.jpg

SQ-05.jpg

SQ-06.jpg

I'm now in the process of buffing out scratches. Spent an hour just on the first phase of this. Probably another hour or more on the follow up two stages.

Cheers, Barrie.

Jim Belaye, Rey08, daan and 10 others like this.
  3. Micro tilt neck removal … dated June 25, 1984.

SQ-07.jpg

SQ-08.jpg

SQ-09.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    what is the neck date? Did we talk about that already?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Never mind! I hit refresh and there it was!

6. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
  7. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Nice! Can’t wait for the results!

8. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Is that shielding tape or aluminum foil? Looks like they may have tried to bake a potato inside that Strat.

Nice rescue operation.

9. Unit11

Unit11 Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Providence, RI
    I can't help but wonder, at the risk of sounding clueless, why would they plaster the inside with all that tape? How does the shielding help?

Thanks

10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    What most people are trying to achieve is a pseudo Faraday Cage ? ground field around "noise" - hope this helps !

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  11. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Can't wait to see it when it's done Barrie! Nice work. Let us know what you think, like if it's better than some of the other nice Squiers of yours that we've seen!

12. Gulfsurfer101

Gulfsurfer101 Squier Talker

Jul 15, 2018
    Texas
  13. Spent two hours working over the paint in three stages to buff it out. This was taken down to every single piece and cleaned in detail.
    Now the work begins on the neck. ;)

SQ-10.jpg

SQ-11.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

Jim Belaye, duggerh, daan and 3 others like this.
  14. A previous owner even installed shielding tape inside the pickup covers o_O … that was a ***** to remove and clean.
    There's a close clearance between the covers and the bobbin and they where forced on. I needed a screw driver and some careful pressure to remove the covers.

SQ-12.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

15. nitro

nitro Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    WOW!. I haven't ran into that one yet. Nice find Barrie. It's looking real good sir.

16. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Not a horrible idea or experiment. Jaguar/Lace sensor! what did you use to loosen the adhesive? Hair dryer?

17. Daytime heating :D … it's been in the mid 90's here. Varsol to remove the residue.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  18. Viking

Viking Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2010
    Winnipeg,Mb Canada
    Nice job cleaning it. Can't wait to see to see it when it's all back together.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Great job, Barrie! Looks like you got the only deal on the island. I’ve been in Victoria since Tuesday and haven’t found anything worth mentioning. :)

20. Look like you've been in the cooler area of the south Island. I'm glad I'm not in the interior region … 41°C / 106°F today :eek:

A deal like I got may never happen again. Funny thing is, that ad sat up for 16 days ! I'd looked at it a couple of times before but did not look closely at the pics which where posted sideways. I dismissed it as another Affinity or Bullet. I'm glad I looked a little closer a third time and got the confirmation I was thinking, on this forum. :) Cheers, Barrie.

mkgearhead and Kenneth Mountain like this.