Fathers Day NGD

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by fadetoz, Jun 17, 2019.

1. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    My guitar showed up today and is in great condition other than a missing knob. It looks like it actually has a real rosewood FB. It was listed as Lemonburst but I think it's really called a Amber plus top. It has one ding I didn't know about but it isn't very noticeable. I noticed in the GC picture it had a neck pup with a cover and a bridge pup with no cover. Couldn't help but hope they put some awesome pickup in the bridge at least. So I took the 9s off it (Yeah it had some cheap 9s) and raised the action a hair since I prefer it doesn't rattle on the frets all the time and I like to be able to get my fingers to bite in when I don't use a pick. I think you get better tone with the strings higher (just not too high). So then I took the pickups out to see what they were and they looked like they were not even the CH57 classic set. I was bummed.. from the labeling they looked like the cheapest set you could get. So I searched for what they were and it turns out they are Gibson Burst Buckers a 2 and a 3. Yeah they are not cheap at all. So into the control cavity I go and find some full sized pots. I see an Alpha in there and maybe Cortek. It's hard to read.
    So I did a quick video before messing with it on my Mustang 1 and it was not that great had allot of buzz on the frets and they were 9s set super low.
    Got a set of Ernie Ball Slinky 10s on it and raised the bridge and got it setup. Plugged into the Blues JR and tested it out. Oh man what a difference... It sounds amazing. What a great fathers day :D
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190617142253251_COVER.jpg IMG_20190617_191123.jpg IMG_20190617_195206.jpg IMG_20190617_195438.jpg 2019-06-17.jpg

Before the restring

After with the Blues JR

2. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
  3. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Damn Fade, you are loved. That is a sweet, sexy LP. Trans Amber plus top. Looks like the previous owner might have been a Jimmy Page fan and took the cover off the bridge pickup.
    Congrats man....sounds as sweet as it looks.

4. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Looks and sounds great! Congrats!

fadetoz, ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    :D:p:D schweeeeeeeat !!!

Congrats !

7. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Nice stuff, I've always liked that color on a Les Paul.

fadetoz, ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
  9. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
  10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    How sweet it is, looks good, sounds good and great playing @fadetoz

fadetoz and ElRey67 like this.
  11. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    My buddy said I should put the pups in my Raven West guitar. Tempting but I've found if it has that magic great tone leave it alone. Don't change anything.

BlueSquirrel and mb doug like this.
  12. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    I love burstbuckers, nice vintage sounding pickups. Happy Father's day NGD!

BlueSquirrel and fadetoz like this.
  13. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I'm developing a problem. Since I have like 6 Strats and 3 Telecasters I'm now getting a few of these LP guitars.
    These BurstBuckers sound the best though. The others have Probuckers. I haven't A-B tested yet because I like this one so much. Took the neck cover off. Not a surprise it's not zebra too... That would have just been some more icing.
    IMG_20190618_215442.jpg

daan and Best1989 like this.
  14. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Great collection! Very tasteful!
    You're so lucky about the Burstbuckers, they sound terrific! Congrats!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    fadetoz likes this.
  15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I figured they may have replaced the bridge. I expected a stock neck and maybe some aftermarket bridge pup. I really do like how they sound allot. The Probuckers are suppose to be the same but this sounds better than any of them that I have. I will have to go back and test again..

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  16. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    What model is your goldtop?

17. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I can't remember for sure but it came stock with coil splits. I think it's a traditional Pro. Whoever had it before me put a black truss cover on it.
    It's warn and feels really nice and plays killer.

18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice