Famous People You Met...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Uncle Joe, Nov 14, 2019.

1. TheQuietOne

TheQuietOne Squier Talker

Aug 11, 2019
    oshkosh, wi
    I met ex-Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett after a show in Milwaukee. I met former First Lady Betty Ford when I was a kid. Jerry, our Congressman at the time, was supposed to speak at our Cub Scout meeting. He was held up in Washington, so he sent Betty.

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    In the early 90s, a friend and I were driving across the country. We passed by North Platte, Nebraska, when Nebraskaland Days was on - I guess it's like a State Fair. We were buying souvenir T-shirts or something when two guys came to the stand asking if they sold sunglasses. One of the guys had long blonde hair and the other had long, curly black hair and a moustache, but I didn't recognize them. The vendor said they didn't have sunglasses, and the two guys decided to go into town. When they left, the vendor gasped, "Was that them?!" Turns out that the headline act that night was Hall and Oates.

I'd say that 99% of the time I would not recognize a celebrity if I saw him/her in person.

3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve had a number of meet and greets before/after concerts, but I’m just going to mention the accidental/incidental meets:
    Dick Butkus: My Dad went to the Police Academy with his brother Dave, we were at their house, and he showed up. He had pics, and footballs with him in his car, just to hand out to fans.

At Summerfest in Milwaukee: My eldest had a Cheap Trick shirt on, and while sitting a spell by the Cream City guitar tent, this guy comes up and asks: “Are you here for the meet & greet?” we said no, and shook our heads after he walked away. He comes back 5 min later and waves us to follow him. We go in the tent, are offered drinks, and snacks... and in walks Rick Nielsen, and Robin Zander. We got to spend 45 min with them and about a dozen other folks. We got pics, and were even able to talk guitars (Robin bought an early TV yellow LP Jr). A very happy accident.

After a Shemekia Copeland show: Lonnie Brooks, his son Ronnie had played on a few songs as a surprise guest... he was milling around on the side by Shemekia’s family, I passed him while heading to the john, I looked at him, smiled, held my hand out, and said: “A pleasure, Mr Brooks”, he took my hand, shook it, and replied:”Thank you sir, but please don’t spread the news.” We both smiled like idiots with a chuckle.

The most famous guy all of you will know happened a few years back...

I was in Sandusky for my youngest
    attending a anime convention, and took a day trip, and met @Papa Joe! He regaled me with his musical history (and his Mom’s), showed me some wonderful gear, and shared some life experience... it made for a delightful day.

4. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    @radiotech You have no doubt rubbed lots of musical elbows, cool stuff. You mentioned Dick Butkus, I mentioned Jerry Muckensturm. OK, it is doubtful many know of Muck. Evidently Butkus spent lots of time around the team after retirement. Muck said the guy who was an animal on the field was the nicest guy off. My kind of fella. Muck also played with my favorite NFL running back, Walter Payton. I beat Muck in several ping pong games. He was a nice guy. Big, and very competitive. I was 140 pounds, quick, and better at ping pong. It was fun.

I guarantee more forum folks know the fame of Papa Joe than Muck!

5. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    I know @Papa Joe :D
    Squier Talk hall of famer..
    youll know him when you see him.. :)

Unlike John Bon Jovi.. who i seen in the middle of the night at a small truck stop 35 years ago right before his big slippery when wet album..
    He was eating with ritchie sambora and some blonde chick.. i knew they were with a band (there was a tour bus outside). ).. i just didnt know who till much later when his mug was all over MTV..

6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Yup. Famous folks are out there. About ten years ago my family was out on the beach while we were vacationing down the shore, Wildwood Crest. Too hot and sunny, even under the umbrellas. I needed a break from all that relaxing. I walked about a mile to get a Subway sandwich. Ben Folds was the guy ahead of me on line. I left him alone and didn't even acknowledge that I recognized him. After he left I mentioned it to everyone and they had no idea who he was. Another famous person that nobody knows.

Kenneth Mountain and Loin Lover like this.
  7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    My mom ran into Jim Varney (Ernest P. Worrell) at the grocery several times... We both lived in White House, Tn... But it wasn't too big a deal, cause he was actually related to my Dad by marriage... I've got Bill Kirchen's phone number... He did "Hot Rod Lincoln", and he's known as "The King Of Dieselbilly"... I actually wrote him an email telling him what an inspiration he's been to me to actually learn country style lead... He surprised me and ACTUALLY wrote back... Gave me his number and told me to call him, but I didn't wanna bother him while he was out on tour... And when my family ran one of the biggest haunted attractions in Tennessee, I was at a horror convention in full Voodoo man makeup... Me and my cousin, who was dressed as his character "The MadMan"... We got into an elevator, and all of a sudden William Forsythe got on... We exchanged glances, and he says "You guys look f#ckin crazy..." We all laughed... And I said "Hell, hoss... What about you? You freaked me out when you played John Wayne Gayce..." He had JUST done that movie... He said, "Good point!" And we laughed again and him and his bodyguard got off... Pretty cool guy...

8. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Dude, you met me... WTH?? Can't I get a shout out? I see how it is...……..

9. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    hahahahaha!!!

Oh yea!

Kenneth Mountain, Mr Bones and so1om like this.
  10. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    who is this?

11. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I see hockey players everywhere. Mostly retired ones who played for the Devils or Rangers, but I see them at airports all the time. Just saw the guy from NBCS hockey coverage, Keith Jones, at Newark airport not long ago. We were walking quickly toward each other, "Hey Keith, what's up?" Big smile. "How you doin'?" Never broke stride.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

12. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    In the 80s and 90s, my family used to routinely go to the Hilton restaurant in Downtown Windsor Ontario Canada - where I live. Right across the river from Detroit, Michigan - so all the sports teams stayed there when they played against Detroit. I got to meet Bob Gainey (coach of the Dallas Stars at the time), Mike Modano....and basketball player Chuck Nevitt - man was he HUGE! 7 foot 5....

I also have a photo of me with catcher Pat Borders from the Toronto Blue Jays circa 1990....me, my uncle, my aunt, and Pat...my mom won a contest - a free trip to Toronto on VIA Rail, hotel included, tickets to a game, and attending team practice in the afternoon. I threw the ball with a few players, and John Olerud taught us how to hit....

oldryan1.png

13. jtees4

jtees4 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2012
    NYish
    Leslie West, long story short...his brother's wife worked with my sister. I also met him at a couple of his shows, threw a football around with him before one, early 80's in NJ.
    Early 80's...On a similar note, I went to a Johnny Winter show. A band called The Mix opened. As I'm watching I realized the drummer was Corky Laing....and I was a HUGE Mountain fan. I started calling out to him, but he was trying to reinvent himself as a "punk" (I don't blame him for trying)....but it pissed me off, so I started screaming at him, etc.. He started throwing sticks at me, and finally got fed up and kicked his high hat stand at me. He was really acting like an idiot (as was I), but I don't blame him, and still love the guy. The audience was cheering ME on by the way...it's tough to be an opening band ;-)
    Hung out with the Runaways in '76 or'77
    Ramones around '77, I was friends with a one of their girlfriends, and hung with them at her house a few different times, and at a few of her parties also.
    Around '76 or '77 I bought a guitar from Andy Shernoff of the Dicatotors. He came to my house with Mark "The Animal" Mendoza who I don't think I knew of at the time. Andy worked at a music store near my High School. I think Mendoza joined Twisted around this time.
    Met Joe Pass at Alex Axe store on 48th street NYC late 80's. The owner closed and locked the door. My friend and I were the only two people there along with Joe and his son. He played about 20 guitars sitting 2 feet from me, the owner kept bringing him guitars to try. I did not know Joe's music, my friend did....but Joe blew me away, and he knew it. He kept playing and smiling at me! He even tried out a Guitorgan which he found very strange. He played some leads with chords, just amazing.
    More recently, Dee Snyder lives near me and I've seen him around. My son actually got to know him a bit when he worked at a store where Dee shopped.
    Not quite famous but amazing, I met both Rondinelli brothers recently, and hung out with them a few times, they are local to me .....Bobby is an amazing drummer, and Teddie is an amazing guitarist. Both are well known to many bands and musicians.
    Played with David Peel many times in late 70's, and he played with my band back then too.

14. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Another acquaintance of an acquaintance. I was fortunate to visit with Jackie 'The Buckmaster' Bushman during breaks in filming of Who's the Buckmaster? TV show. Jackie is a fine gentleman IMO. I do not recall how it came up, I may have said "know what I mean Vern?" I really can't remember. Nonetheless, we began talking about Jim Varney. They were long time buddies in and out of the deer woods. Jackie spoke very highly of him as a person, not simply his comedic talent.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  15. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Borders was a solid player for several years and, I believe, the WS MVP the year Carter hit the walk-off. I could be wrong. Olerud had a sweet swing, a pure hitter. He teased .400 for a while one year.

16. Tepid Pilot

Tepid Pilot Squier Talker

1964 or so I "headlined" a show of local folksingers at a Unitarian church in Rockland county. Unbeknownst to me Lotte Lenya was in the audience, and after the show she approached me and said she enjoyed my work. I was literally speechless since I had recently seen her in a performance of her husband Kurt Weill's Threepenny Opera down on Christopher Street in lower Manhattan, which was brilliant. Lotte's claim to "pop" fame was as an assassin in the James Bond movie "From Russia With Love," but she was hugely respected by the intellectual crowd as a brilliant artist. Her casual remark changed my life. You should google her.

The Rites record was mixed by Milt Gabler at Decca Records Studio A on 57th Street in Manhattan. Milt was a legend, you should google him too.

The guy who wrote Billie Holliday's "Strange Fruit," Abel Meeropol, lived downstairs in our building. I used to play street ball with his "sons," who turned out to be the kids of the infamous Rosenbergs.

Jerry Stiller, Ben's dad, lived in our neighborhood and I used to play handball with him in Riverside Park while I babysat my baby brother and he babysat little Ben or Amy, don't remember which. I had seen him in various productions of the New York Shakespeare festival. A totally regular guy, we got along great.

Stood behind Rod Serling in the checkout line at an upstate N.Y. IGA. Little guy, chain smoked. We did not speak.

TP

17. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for posting this. For some reason, I thought that Langston Hughes wrote the lyrics. I guess it's similar to one of his poems o the same topic.

Kenneth Mountain and Uncle Joe like this.
  18. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Our hero. Not only did we get to meet him and hang with him on his bus, but I get to say he owns a guitar I built.

Or, owned, anyway. Now I'm sad again.

Attached Files:

19. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I was waiting for this one...

Kenneth Mountain and Wizzer like this.
  20. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    My goalie in the '70s. Another famous person nobody knows. IMG_20191109_161326337.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice