Famous People You Met...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Uncle Joe, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    at the grocery store, the bakery, the airport, or...

Standing next to me at the urinals it was Al DiMeola. I shouldn't have been surprised. It was his show. Blue Note, maybe twenty years ago. We did shake, but we didn't shake hands.

How about you? Nobody I interact with on a regular basis even knows who Al is. Famous people who nobody knows. I run into them everywhere.

2. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I was at Opryland in Nashville when I was a kid (1986 or 87) and I'm pretty sure it was Roy Acuff at the next urinal.

3. I briefly met Stevie Ray Vaughan, the morning after his June 21, 1984 performance at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver Canada.
    I'd been given a temporary work assignment on the BC Ferry MV Q. of Vancouver. I noticed a tour bus on the main vehicle deck but didn't connect the dots. Half way thru the 1:35 hr. voyage, I was passing thru the galley area and noticed a few guys followed shortly by a guy that was immediately familiar. I asked one of the women next to me to see if what I was seeing was correct … BAM … SRV in the flesh. I was immediately surprised at his small stature. When the group gathered around the steam table (food service area) I asked by saying "You're Stevie Ray Vaughan?"
    He nodded and said "you're right!". I said I was a fan and had all his records. He asked if I caught his show last night. I said I was aware of it, but due to work commitments, I couldn't. I said it's nice meeting you and hope to see a show in the future. He died 6 years later without me seeing his live show. :(

Cheers, Barrie.

4. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Eric Clapton's wife is from a small in-burb in Columbus,OH. I was visiting my sister at her restaurant (like Alice it is not her restaurant,she just works there). Eric Clapton was sitting at the back corner table with a plate of pancakes.

I'm a fan of course, but I didn't want to bother the guy at a meal. We made eye contact and exchanged man-nods.

5. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    Toby Maguire paid for my best good friend's wedding. My friend married a woman whose uncle is president of Universal Pictures. She is bff's with his daughter, who later became Toby's wife. She sat on his lap for most of the reception, like a dog guarding a ham bone. It was kind of trashy. He is super nice though, and was really friendly with the kids who wanted to meet Spiderman. He is a total midget though, like 5' nothin'. My buddy used to play Xbox with Toby and hang out all the time until he divorced his wife.

My friend and I were apprentices together. So we are both blue collar Johnny Lunchpail types. He is the life of the party, and a great guy. Salt of the earth.

6. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    I have met the group LMFAO once flying from Detroit to L.A.,didn't know who they were except for some dumbasses riding skateboards at DTW at 630am ,they were in town for a concert and they were up the whole night and were in pretty rough shape when we landed at LAX ,three of them were still seated in first class and couldn't stand and were waiting for wheelchairs to move them. Saw Stevie Wonder at LAX once in Delta Lounge elevator,the terminals were under construction and I got lost and ended up in tunnels under airport and found elevator to lounge and ran into him and his assistant as well as an airport employee on elevator,made a fool of myself when it took me a few seconds to realize who it was and blurted out"little Stevie wonder,my parents love you! " He was so cool,he just said"just your parents? "Lol.Best ever was Wayne gretzky at John Wayne airport ,he was ultimate nice guy and maybe 4-5 other folks recognized him besides me.

7. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I have met a lot of Famous or Well known People.I met these Guys when I was 16 at the Holiday Inn they where staying at Talked to them for 20 mins. Don Purdome and Jake Roberts Funny Car Drivers Don Prudhomme  and Tom McEwen.jpg

8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    The big one I saw once in a truck stop in Okemah Oklahoma getting a diet coke was Joe Banamassa. Met a few big 80s country stars back in the 80s. Red Stegal, Moe Bandy and Ricky Van Shelton. Ran into Blake Shelton more than a few times when I was a kid. Met a Heisman trophy winner (Steve Owens) not too long ago in a CVS getting his prescription filled. Met a few guys from the Street Outlaw show. Met the lead singer from the indie band The Flaming Lips in a healthy food store in Norman Oklahoma. Cant think of anymore right off the top of my head but I'm sure theres a few more.

9. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Ive met a few. The 1 that always stands out is when I was a kid I was in a grocery store. Turned around the corner when I came to the end of the aisle and stopped as someone was also coming the opposite way. The odd thing is I seemed to be eye level with the guys nads… Looked up. Then looked up some more... And met Dekembe Mutombo. One of the greatest defensive players to ever put on a pair of shoes. And 1 of the all time great guys in the NBA... The guy was HUGE...

10. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Kevin and Michael Bacon, Waymon Tisdale, Jack Russell from Great White (what a jackass!).

11. Ducerro

Ducerro Squier Talker

Dec 6, 2018
    Yoakum, TX
    Met Kris Kristoppherson when I was in high school - just before he became really famous. He knew my French teacher and stopped in for a visit during class, sat on one of the desks and played us a song.

I've also met and done business with George Foreman - that dude is HUGE.

For a bit I was a radio DJ (early 80's) and had an oppertunity to meet Garth Brooks.

Might be more - but those are the ones that stand out...

12. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Diamond Dallas Page and Bo Jackson..
    same year, same hotel lobby in Auburn, AL.

Kenneth Mountain and Loin Lover like this.
  13. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Oh goodness.... I’ve been very lucky. Bucky Dent from the White Sox. I owned Tony Esposito’s (Blackhawks) old Bareacuda..

Musicians? I’m acquainted with the Dollyrots, did a show with them years ago and see them when they’re in town. The Toronto band Sumo Cyco,super cool folks. Did shows with the band Otis, Devon Allman. Opened for Blue Coupe with Joe and Al Brouchard of BOC and Dennis Dunaway. He played through my bass rig that night and we talked for hours afterwards.

Living Color, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Dick Dale, Sam Butera, Chris Stamey and Peter Holsapple, the smithereens a few times, Marshall Crenshaw, Koko Taylor, Burning spear, Mojo Nya, I talk to Handsome Dick Manitoba, Ronnie Barnett of the Muffs, Brad Elvis (Romantics drummer), Flock of Seagulls, Jim Peterik, David Gray, David Lindley, Eric Estrada, Rikki Rocket of Poison would borrow my Vespa, Mike Madison of Tedeschi Trucks.. I have a old baseball glove covered with names.

Oh goodness. I’m sure I have forgotten a few, but also I’m old and while you may meet a lot of people, you forget too!!
    To

14. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I met Tori Amos in an airport. It was when she was pretty new on the scene, and nobody else recognized her. I was an early fan and had seen her previously in a concert in a very small venue, and loved her playing and singing. He was very friendly and approachable. Easy on the eyes, too!

15. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    So you're saying you was HANGING OUT with Al DiMeola

16. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    When I worked at Whole Foods Market on Magazine St. New Orleans, I met:
    Trent Reznor - Nine Inch Nails
    David Pirner - Soul Asylum
    Ellen Burstyn
    John C. Reilly
    John Goodman
    Anna Faris
    Noah Wyle
    There were more but that's all I can remember.

17. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Restrooms must be the place to "hang" with celebrities. Took a whizz next to Ted Nuggent at a deer hunting expo, have hung out with the guys from Taking back Sunday a couple times, as well as Coheed and Cambria.

18. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Stan Musial 1967 or so (Busch Stadium St. Louis); Jim 'Dandy' Mangrum 1980-81 (store I worked in Jonesboro, AR); Jerry Muckensturm (Chicago Bears LB, family friend of gal I dated 1981); Don Garlits, Shirley Muldowney, Don Prudhomme, et al drag racers in the pits 1982 (Kansas City); Reba McIntyre & George Strait playing county fair before they made it big 1983ish (Salem, AR); lots of starry eyed generals, admirals, and politicians, impressed by few; Gallagher in front row of a comedy club 2006 (Louisville); Jackie Bushman at filming of Who's the Buckmaster? 2006 (Greensboro, NC); David Feherty and Kelly Tilghman in Iraq 2008; Will Purdue at airport 2011ish (Charlotte); Jack Del Rio at airport 2011ish (Reno).
    EDIT: I thought of this fella you may have heard about just after logging off last night. Sam Walton, met him twice. Clinton, MO (1982) at a store grand opening. In 1983 I had a nice, one-on-one conversation with him while in the parking lot and store in Ash Flat, AR. Nice fella.
    Tomb of the Unknown Soldier guard detail at Arlington Nat'l Cemetery (and tour of their underground barracks) 1996.

I talked or visited with all these. There are no doubt others I am forgetting. In the majority of cases I am not awed by what many consider famous. I've had many 'man nods' as described earlier. Those folks are afraid to approach and ask for my autograph. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    radiotech, Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  19. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Meister

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    My wife and I vend music festivals for side money. She is an artist as well as a seamstress/Dyer. So we end up meeting alot of musicians during our travels. One that sticks out more than the rest was Col. Bruce Hampton at Swamptown Getdown in Waycross GA. Super nice guy. Very down to earth. He brought us back stage and just talked for a bit. We literally just hung out for a while. He even took a pic with my then 10 yr old son and I. I will never forget it. He really made me feel that he was just an ordinary person. So humble. Ended up watching the show from side stage. Awesome experience. Also met Roosevelt Collier, Melody Trucks, Randall Bramlett and Zach Deputy at that same festival(different years). I briefly talked to Jack Pearson last year at the Blind Willie McTell Blues Fest. Really cool. Wish I had pics of that one. Maybe next year.

20. 65-mustang

65-mustang Squier Talker

Sep 16, 2017
    cali
    Two weeks ago with my vehicle in the shop for the day took the wife to a local breakfast joint. After we made our order, since it’s a small place I started to walk outside to the patio and grab a table. The wife wanted to sit inside. But the seats are tight, euro style if you crossed your legs you would hit the stranger next to you. So asked the wife to go outside with me. We sat down and look towards the road, here comes a guy in full laker gear, purple shirt with logo on it and yellow shorts. About 6’8” and guy I watched when I was a kid. Magic Johnson. I said hi magic and he shook my hand and said hi. He walked in to the restaurant and ordered, kinda got mob with folks asking for pics with him, and he gave everybody their wish. Then he comes outside to the patio and sat down. So the wife ask for a pic with him, pretty soon everybody was asking. Here’s the cool part... He asked everyone their name, shook their hand, and gave them a pic with him. If they where younger he would say, tell your parents magic said hi.
    Pretty cool dude

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice