Experimental 2X10" cab

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by DrBeGood, Nov 14, 2019.

1. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I built this small exprimental cab with speakers at 90°. Complements perfectly the MV50 Boutique.

It's interesting to have different projections in the studio, to be more aware of the room acoustic. Tone is stable as you move in front of the cab.

Of course I built it with recycled ¾" plywood and some pine, and a X-Man Race medal as a jack plate ... LOL I put it up front to see it ;)

It is 1/3 open in the back.

Two Celestion VOX VX10 30W speakers, paid $29.98 US ... for the pair. They come form Sweetwater when they upgrade AC4TV and AC4TVC.

Cab 90° 2X10.jpg

X-Man jack.jpg

drewcp, radiotech, Rat cam 68 and 6 others like this.
  2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Innovative. Nice.

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Looks cool! I need to try building a cabinet some day. I watched a video the other day of a guy who built one out of a bee box kit.

4. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Cool Project and better yet you seem to be satisfied with the results!

5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    I'm not sure what I think...
    Intriguing, interesting.... wondering if it would screw with my ears.
    This may become a winter project cuz now I'm really wondering

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Very nice, doctor! If you were near me I'd want to visit for a demo.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Wow ... I'm flabergasted !

I switched back and forth for about an hour, between this one and my other 2X10" (exact same speakers) with first the MV50 and then with the Super Champ XD and I can say that the 90° cab has much much more presence in the room. It sounds fuller on every frequencies, clean and dirty. That is with my two Vintage G400 and my LP Ultra. Still have to test with P90s, but I expect no less.

Volume might have something to do in the equation. There's about 20% less cubic inches than in the conventional cab. I can't believe it could change the presence like that.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I like it !

Nice job :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

drewcp, DrBeGood and Mr Bones like this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

@DrBeGood, the article about the Watkins amp says there can be a small gap in sound when you're directly in front of the amp. I find that a little hard to believe, but maybe it's true. If you're playing through yours and move from being in front of one speaker, across the middle, and over to the other speaker, how much of a less-loud area is there when you're in the middle?

DrBeGood likes this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Hmmm ... maybe that's what I'm perceiving as a richer tone. Some kind of natural micro delay, produced by different sound travel distances from one speaker to the other.

When I tested, I played it facing one speaker. My perception might change if I play it while facing the corner ridge between baffles. Hmmm ... back to the test bed.

Mr Bones and Triple Jim like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice