Exciting Moments in Our Lives

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Dec 10, 2019.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The picture below popped up on my Facebook page this morning under the caption "Don's most liked photo on Facebook of 2011." And it was that which gave me the idea for this thread.

We've all had them. Magic moments that stand out. Our first look at our then future mate for life. The birth of a child. A totally unexpected eureka moment where a whole bunch of previously disjointed things or ideas come together.

I've had all of the above.

This one in a sense came out of the blue. Something that had enriched my earlier life suddenly and unexpectedly came back into bloom like a flower mid-Winter. In this case large scale interest in my `60s band The Abstracts and our one released record. And then the release of this album containing all the group's earlier unreleased material (including what had to my amazement become a talked about "mystery" among record collectors-- our supposedly "lost" Columbia Sessions).

341315_2584659768236_530288551_o.jpg

What about you? Any special moment in your life, be they regarding guitars and music or otherwise, you'd care to share?

-don

2. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    It was 1984 during the World's Fair in New Orleans. I was working as a soundman for a stage in Jackson Square in the French Quarter. On this particular day, I brought my Sigma acoustic guitar with me. My relief came in and there was about an hour of down time on the stage. I went on up on stage, mic'd my guitar and played a 30 minute set. Jackson Square was packed with people... several thousand. I wasn't nervous and I sang and played perfectly that day. People were getting into my music. It was a thrill of a lifetime for me.

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Dang! No cellphone video cameras back then!

Thanks for sharing! :)

-don

radiotech likes this.
  4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Mine wasn't music related.

Week-end windsurf trip to Cape Cod, mid october early 2000's. I'm there with my 20 year younger sidekick for a killer wind forecast. It's big out there in the upper bay. It's early morning, tide is coming up, we're the only two clowns around. We rig one of our smaller sails at Corportion Beach, must have been blowing 30 knots or so. Waves are huge so we launch from behind a jetty higher in the bay, not to get eated by the monstrous 8 feet of whitewater for about 1000 feet out. You fall in there, it's all bubbles, you don't float much and you get pummeled by every wave until you eventually ... reach the shore. Been there, done that, not so much fun.

We're young and fearless, so out we go. It ... was ... big. Biggest waves I'd ever ridden. It was also cold, so energy you spend preciously, because you never know when you'll need all of what's left to get out of trouble. So we rode for maybe over an hour in epic conditions. When on the crest of a wave, the full force of Aeoleus hit us and in the trough we barely had enough to propel us. So you tend to try to ride mid height. When I finally came back in unharmed, Yannick (sidekick) told me one wave that I was at the bottom of was twice the height of my mast. Masts are 15 feet long.

I'm not that good a swimmer and if I had lost my rig out there, I probably would have been in trouble. So that was the day that set the limit for my bravery. From then on, I got more careful about the size of waves I'm willing to ride.

This picture was taken at the end on the day when the wind and tide had come down quite a bit. Locals knew better than to risk their lifes and came out then.

What a day !

Corporation Beach.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  5. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Keeping it musical :)

About a year ago, I was practicing with some friends on a Wednesday evening, and we stopped at our usual watering hole afterward for a drink. Our musical director (and guitarist extraordinaire) had put together a gigging crew with a group of really good players doing classic rock covers, and I heard that one of them had quit.

I asked her "when can I join the crew?"

She said "We have a show Friday night in Harlem at the Shrine. Can you make it?"

"Uh...sure? What's the setlist?"

"Voodoo Child, Comfortably Numb, Stairway, Breed (Nirvana), Cissy Strut (The Meters)...." And a few more.

"OK. I've never played any of those songs. Send me the charts."

I went to work on Thursday, told my boss I needed a vacation day on Friday.

I stayed up late Thursday and spend all day Friday until about 5 learning the hour of material we had prepared. Nine songs, I think. A few of them required me to play a solo.

I played a number of shows with them, but I never played better than that day. The band was hot that night and the crowd loved us.

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Waking up this morning......And surprising ..

corn, duzie, jjudas and 5 others like this.
  7. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Amen, Papa Joe...
    I ain't ungrateful, so I never expect alla that...
    It's a Blessin, to be sure; there was lots of day an nights that I reckoned, quite reasonably enough, given th circumstances, wakin up wouldn't happen again

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ll stay with musical...

In HS/early college, I was in a few musicals, on occasion with a lead, but as fun as those were, they were never as good as my band experiences.

A few come to mind.
    Early ‘82, we were playing a dance for the church we rehearsed in, it was in their social hall. It was how we paid for the space (play all the dances). We’d been tweaking the setlist, and the others had decided southern rock was the best to open with (in this case, it was not)... so Sweet Home Alabama, and Dreams (Molly Hatchet), fell promptly on their behind, and kids were leaving.
    As the next song was supposed to be a 38 special song, I pleaded with the guys to switch to our second set (new wave, power-pop, and punk). At this point, almost all the kids were milling by the doors... I won the argument, and we immediately started playing The Cars ‘Just What I needed’ (something I sang). The kids were already rankled, and even as we started, they were heading enmasse for the door... Now this was a song I loved singing, and had memorized long before I’d ever learned bass... so the energy was high... and by the end of the first verse, kids were coming out from the hallway back in, and by the second chorus, they were ALL dancing. That ENTIRE set had a packed dance floor, and they all started screaming when we finished with ‘Turning Japanese’ from the Vapors.

Even though it wasn’t for money perse, and we really didn’t have to cater to the audience (they all could have all left, and we would have filled our obligation). I couldn’t stand the idea that their dance was going to suck because of the misguided set list. It was a victory to win those kids back in the dance, and to turn an eye-roller into a good time. There’s nothing like truly entertaining people.

Christmas party gig ‘81, For a local grocery store:
    We’d played our three sets, and an encore. The store owner wanted another set, because the party was still raging... but, we were running out of songs, he pushed almost $200 in our hands, and said drunkenly: “I don’t care if you replay the last set, we just want you to play”... so... we DID.

We recycled a couple songs that went over well from other sets, did a few instrumental covers, and a couple classics; you really got me, hang on sloopy, but were trying to decide on a closer. I asked if they knew ‘Mr Postman’... we all knew the lyrics, but none of us knew the chords (though I knew what key it was in from the bass part).
    We decided to go for broke, and do an acapella version (on the Beatlessque side)... it went freakishly amazing, everyone hitting the harmonies on the backups... we ended on a ‘Wait a minute’, and the party erupted in applause... they gave us MORE money. What a blast.

About 10 years ago, I was with my ex at a packed bar with a Karaoke night (we didn’t know they even had one). She never liked my singing voice, and always pointed out how I should let her sing instead (which she rarely ever did). Well that week, I’d been playing/singing a lot, and my voice had been in good form, so while she was in the bathroom, I signed up to sing ‘Some kind of Wonderful’ by Grand Funk. They called me up 10 minutes later, and I killed, I was even able to hit the high “My Baby”’s at the end/fade out. The DJ gave me an ‘I’m not worthy’ bow, and I was mobbed by the packed house crowd (much to the chagrin of my ex). A number of folks asked me to go up again, but we were meeting up with some friends, so I didn’t. My ex did eventually disparage my singing again, but not for some time.

Recently: A month ago, at my fav Open jam place, I went up to play ‘You wreck me’ from Tom Petty with the band, they had a guest harmonica player who’d just come down, and when he saw me pull out the tab, he asked if he could join us.
    He asked for the solo, but he didn’t want it during the key change, he wanted it before the breakdown, I said “sure”, and we were on... We got to the first Chorus, he smiles at me, and starts singing the Harmony, it was like we’d been singing together for years, everyone in the bar stopped gabbing to listen to the rest of the song, his solo was fantastic... I had chills when it was over.
    We were both grinning like fools when it was over.

Lastly, and I’ve told this one here before:
    I was at the Haight-Ashbury Music Center ten years back, and I started playing Elvis Costello’s ‘Pump It Up’ on an A/E bass (Fender Kingman), and the employee reorganizing the hand drums started playing along... halfway through, a guy grabbed an acoustic and kicked in on the chorus, then one of the counter guys started singing (the first verse), and we played it through again...
    Most fun I've ever had in a music shop.
    We all sighed afterwards, saying some form of "Oh MAN, What a great song.

Music is about the experiences.

9. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Love reading these guys! Keep 'em coming.

Note that some of the best are going to be not "big," but "small." Our experiences. What made our day (or night) something special. -The thing we expect that no one else may even have noticed, but that filled our own heart with joy and/or excitement.

Yup, keep 'em coming! :)

-don

10. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    OK, a musical one then ...

Opening for Mahogany Rush when I was 17. That was 1970, they were just starting. So we end our set with Voodoo Child, they slap us back by opening with it. Man they killed us ... LOL. But it was done in a friendly way and we laughed it out big time.

corn, jjudas and duceditor like this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Nothing musical. I'm at a bowling alley at RAF Lakenheath in the UK back in the mid 80s sitting in the restaurant part eating something. I hear a commotion in the booth behind me, turn around and a woman hands me her young son about 2 that's choking and turning blue. I turn him around with his back to me and tell him "this might hurt a bit". Clasp my hands together in front of him and give him the Heimlich. Out pops a piece of cheeseburger and he starts breathing. The Mom nearly faints, I sit back down and finish my meal. Right time right place, which happens to me a lot.

jjudas, duceditor and DrBeGood like this.
  12. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I
    I was there. Vaguely remember an acoustic act. That’s do cool.
    My most vivid memory on stage would be a benefit concert back in the early 80’s that our band hosted. We had 4 acts booked for 90 minute sets but 1 of the groups backed out and 1 broke up the week before. I played with the first 2 groups, took a break during the 3rd set and our group finished the show with a 2 hour set. So I played 5 of the 6-1/2 hour show. Had a very sore shoulder afterwards. I played a 1978 Gibson ES335 at the time. It was a heavy mother, over 10 pounds.

jjudas and duceditor like this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Then, too, for me there was this...

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 9.05.21 PM.png

-don

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice