Everything Good Under the Hood?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by stratman420, May 14, 2019.

1. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    So, my first post was about my mystery Squier "Standard Series" stratocaster. Thanks to your help, we were able to determine it was a partscaster, with a 2012 standard series CY neck. Because of the thin body, and 6 point trem, you guys determined it was either an affinity or a bullet body, but was never confirmed which.

Additionally I found out from the previous owner that a Fender loaded pickguard with blacktop pickups was installed with coil splitting. As I mentioned in my first thread, I love this guitar, it feels great, and sounds great.

Anyway, today a package arrived from a friend from California. He got me a 3 pack set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (10-46) so I decided since I needed to change the strings anyway, I'd have a look at what was underneath the pickguard.

Some info not included or shown in the photos... There were 2 or 3 places underneath the pickguard where new holes were drilled just slightly next to the old ones, which were filled. So that confirms to me the pickguard screws didn't line up at first, but it's a non issue now.

Based on the following pictures, I'm wondering what all you can tell me. I notice that he carved underneath the last tone control to make it more deep for the push/pull coil splitting. It doesn't look like a very clean job, but at least it does the job. I'm also wondering about the pots, and selector switch and wiring, to see if anything stands out that needs to be fixed or if everything looks good.

I then proceeded to string my guitar, spend a good amount of time tuning, stretching the strings, tuning, stretching the strings, tuning, playing, tuning, playing, etc... until it now seems to be staying in E Standard.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help you all have given me and can hopefully provide me with this information. I'm also curious if the cavity for the pickups gives any indication if this is a bullet body or an affinity body, and if there is any way to date it. All there is is some letter in red marker. 20190513_230718.jpg 20190513_230735.jpg 20190513_230813.jpg 20190513_231032.jpg

Attached Files:

2. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Ya know, if it's got the thinner body, it's not even a possibility, but it looks really similar to the routing on my S.E. ... It started life as a 3 color sunburst with the same routing... And awesome news about the Black Top pups...

3. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    So, 76 views and no one can help?

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I can't tell ?

SquierTap and stratman420 like this.
  5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The body reminds me of a Fernandes that I used to have. I personally have never seen a squier with the combination of that color, that route, and no shielding paint.

But there's a lot out there that I have yet to learn.

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    That would be very disappointing to learn it's not a squier body. It feels and looks like all other affinity and bullet bodies and I remember seeing this finish on a bullet, but not familiar with the routing or shielding paint. Not really sure what it is, my real standard doesn't seem to have shielding paint. But, as a previous poster mentioned, the routing was identical to his SE.

SquierTap and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  7. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I’m sure there were many brand names put on the same exact bodies coming out of the factory. So if that exact body didn’t start life with a Squier neck on it, it doesn’t mean it’s not good... As long as you’re happy with it’s weight, looks, the bridge being in the proper location (I’ve had more than one body from GFS with the bridge holes in the wrong spot :0) I wouldn’t worry too much about where it was from.

SquierTap, drewcp and stratman420 like this.
  8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I agree that he could have done a neater job opening up the cavity, but at least he didn’t blow through the back!
    The wiring looks good, especially if you say you like how it sounds.

9. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Yeah apparently I lucked out as far as how the guy wired everything. The fender blacktop pickups (not to be confused with the blacktop series, which featured the same pickups, just covered, and not open coil), still had coil splitting, but it was controlled with a 5-way switch (from the MIM Strats and telecasters featuring these HHs. A lot of people complaine about it being on the 5 way switch, so it's much better for me (and I assume everyone else) that now it's a push/pull on my tone knob which is where he had to route out the cavity.

I've confirmed the pickups are real, by looking at the back of them. There are various examples online. The 3-way selector switch that was installed is an Oak Brigsby. I'm not sure what the pots are or anything, but I've heard of some people referring to "dime size" pots and these pots are much larger than a dime, closer to a quarter.

SquierTap and daan like this.
  10. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    daan likes this.
  11. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    20190514_233652.jpg 20190514_233603.jpg 20190514_234309.jpg 20190514_234335.jpg
    When you're referring to the body, I'm curious if you're referring to the shape or the routing? I also was under the impression that Fernandez copies were full thickness, where as mine has the thickness that matches that of an affinity and bullet. The neck plate isn't the neckplate that came with the standard, it's the neckplate that I've seen on Affinities and Bullets, I'll also attatch a picture if that can help identify what the body originated as. The reason I asked about the body reminding you of your Fernandez is because visually and in dimensions it's exactly the same as my 2003 standard, it's just thinner.

Here are comparisons of my SSS Standard Series and Partscaster so you can see that the bodies are the same except for thickness, as well as the back, where you can see at some point he drilled holes to attempt to fit a different back plate, but it didn't line up when I got it, so I took it off as I don't like back plates anyway. Also, I took a picture of the neck plate, which is hard to tell, but it has an almost gold laser engraving, rather than my standard series which has a normal engraving.

SquierTap and daan like this.
  12. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    My old Fernandes was (I think Chinese) thin body like a bullet, but I bought it used so who knows what it really was. It seemed original at the time.

SquierTap likes this.
  13. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Does anything stand out about the neck plate as far as being an identifying factor of affinities or bullets and/or year?

14. Definitely not an SE route as suggested earlier.
    Here's the SE route.

SB-SE.jpg

Yours looks like the Affinity route on the CY7 I gave to my grandson.

Affinity.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

15. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! This confirms my belief and reassures me it isn't a Fernandez. Any idea on the year range from that Affinity because I've heard others have different routing?

16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, looks like he put full size CTS pots, a quality Oaks/Grigsby style switch, and the capacitors look nice and new... And as long as you dig the way it sounds, it shouldn't "need" anything else...

17. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    The routing looks similar to the routing on the YN series, a Yako product that predeceased the CY. It could be that I've just never seen one, but I've never seen an early CY Bullet, so I would guess Affinity. As far as differences, I don't know of any 'tells' that differentiate between Affinity & Bullet bodies in the thinner body models (excepting the obvious Bullet hardtail), beyond differences in manufacturer.

I don't think anyone is ignoring your questions, I just think the questions are not ones that are readily answerable. I'm not sure of the need to differentiate between Bullet & Affinity and/or year.

18. My YN7 does not have the two small deeper route cavities, which are located closest to the bridge end of the large pickup route.
    I don't know if they where alike.

YN.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

19. 2007 on the Affinity. (Thin body)
    Cheers, Barrie.

20. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Did you get a picture of the neck pocket?.. sometimes there is a date stamp or other identification in there..
    Seems to match the C.A.R. affinity las palmas norte posted..
    Just cant be sure of the CY7 designation..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice