Estate Sale / Auction.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Las Palmas Norte, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ever buy a guitar at an auction? There's one coming up at the end of October fairly close to my place, and I'm seriously thinking about going.

http://www.jaauctioneering.com/EstateSale.htm

Any tips or advise from anyone that could help is appreciated.
    Cheers, Barrie.

2. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    I'd be all over those strats. Start the bid out at about half of what they are worth to maybe scare the lookers away and then zoom it up in amounts to what you think they are worth.

3. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    If they are like the estate sales here around Chicago...

Sadly, most open on Fridays. I'm at work. Also, yes.. there are the photos and many times the companies that conduct the sales research key items such as musical instruments, glassware, tools and seem to rarely have a GREAT PRICE on it. It tends to be too high to just right.

But even if no price is listed, if the sale opens at 9am, plan on getting there 2 hours early and then making a mad dash into the house to snag that item. People are diligent, they hunt, they research, they watch, they're ready!

I think even if I were able to attend these sales, the mere thought of all the effort makes me not want to consider them at all.

Good luck! It's free to look and hey.. you never know!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

This looks like a true auction, not an estate sale, but who knows. Just research the ones you want to bid on and know in advance what a good price to pay would be, considering there is no inbound freight charge. Each guitar will probably have a lot number and usually you can inspect in advance to know the condition. If the auction place is close to a lot of population, you can expect a good crowd and some heated bidding, possibly well above what you might consider to be a deal.

5. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    that JVC portable stereo is tight

6. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

If you can get the genuine Black and Decker Work Mate for $20-25, they are super handy tools and stronger and way better than the Harbor Freight and other cheapie versions.

7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    If this is going to be your first one - I would go to get the " lay of the land" ! Don't expect to grab a killer deal. There are going to be people there that do these for a living. They are fun, auctions and estate sales - things sometimes go for more than they should ? Have Fun ! ! ! That white squier looks nice ! This is never about "need" more like "want" ! ( I know you have a nice white SE already )

rorygman and so1om like this.
  8. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I'm liking the case of cassettes.Still a viable musical option in my 2002 Chevy.

9. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Wow, even my 1999 Ford E-150 van has a factory CD player...

10. I have one already but I can always use another one.

Curious more than anything else. I'll definitely keep a close eye on the Squier Stratocaster. Looks like it is a Korean model, although the pics are too small to say for certain. The Fender USA Strat will be a bit beyond what I'm prepared to spend. Last auction I was at was more than 30 years ago.

Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  11. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Meister

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    I'd be interested in the Squier Strat and the vinyl LP collection, personally.
    Set a budget before you start and avoid getting carried away with bidding, is my advice.
    It's always fun just seeing who buys what!

12. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Another thing with a true auction, the starting bid will be priced accordingly. But even if it starts at $1, expect it to actually sell for a fair price if not more. To get a FANTASTIC DEAL would generally be the exception -maybe bad weather keeping people away or something like that. It's like eBay on steroids. You have to have an out-the-door price in mind because as soon as you hit your limit, well.. There ya go.

Should be interesting and fun as @Kenneth Mountain stated....

13. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Hardcore Bidding 101 :

As a former banker in a past life, I had to run foreclosure sales (auctions) on homes and real estate. I remember one where an older guy left his son, 18 or so, to bid on a house which was abutting a golf course. Apparently they owned the course.

As the crowd gathered, dad was coaching the kid before the bidding kicked off. This was their strategy.
    -don't bid, let others bid until the bidding stops
    -when the auctioneer says, going once, going twice....bid $1 more than the highest bid
    -repeat this a hundred times as necessary until the crowd is so pissed off at you, they scream at the auctioneer "how can he do this?", "this isn't legal", finally they burn out and quit
    -the kid wins

After the smoke cleared, the truth came out. Yes they owned the golf course. They're future plan was to build condos on the course, the house under foreclosure provided the key to the plan.....it provided an additional access roadway which was required under town bylaws to allow fire trucks the ability to enter and exit without having to turn in a cul-de-sac.

14. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    II have gotten some deals in the past at auctions but it mainly depends on the people there. I would go for the fenders for sure to flip if you get them right that is and if they fit grab those "snake skin" cowboy boots for sure!

15. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    They can be hit and miss. Alot of First Act's and Starcaster's but some gems in there too.
    A friend of mine goes sometimes and he picked up an old Fender Bassman cab, an mij e series Strat and a Fender Twin for $1000 straight. It worked out for me because as far as he was concerned he got his money's worth out of the Twin, I got the Strat for $100.

16. I had a bead on them too. I have a nice pair now but my feet got wider over the past couple decades. Don't fit no more so I'm selling those. Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain and Big tuna like this.
  17. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah, I'd keep a close eye on that Squier myself! I'm pretty sure that's a Korean, 87' E7 or E10 model, wood body. Nice guitar etc! Hope this helps! Good luck.

18. Thanks ... I was thinking the same although it's hard to tell without clearer pics. I'll have to research these a bit more before I consider even a bid on it. I'd hate to pay too much and find out later from you guys. :oops:

Cheers, Barrie.

rorygman and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  19. Kickstand

Kickstand Squier-Nut

Dec 23, 2015
    El Mirage Arizona
    Could be a MIJ E series also. I am going with the MIK E series. If the guitar is in nice shape I would go 250.00 USD for it. I do have a thing for the YC guitars though. :)

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  20. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah I wish picture was a little clearer but I'm leaning MIK too! Either way, win win if priced right!!

Kickstand likes this.