Epi "Special" TV Yellow

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Sep 9, 2016.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I've had one of these on backorder for several months. They are finally due in next week. And MF seems to be celebrating this fact with a sale -- just on the TV Yellow model. (The one that has been so hard to get)

Epi Standard.JPG

Here's a link to their offer: Epiphone Les Paul Special I P90 Electric Guitar Worn TV Yellow

My understanding and expectation is that these guitars as delivered need some TLC for things like fret bloom and set-up. But that the underlying quality is amazingly high -- especially the Alnico P90s.

If they can become the guitar my older, single P90, Epi "Junior" is that'll make them total winners. I'm hoping that is so. I love that ax! (And play it far more often than any of my Gibsons.)

-don

dbrian66, Pat V., Brever and 10 others like this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Just a heads up Don, I played red and black ones at GC at the 4th of July sale, and the finish is not up to the usual Epi standard. The neck is painted same as the body, and the paint is what I can only call tacky to the touch (sticky to the touch, not just poorly sanded). Now I've experienced this tackiness on the bodies of new Nitro finished guitars (and can almost be expected of such), but not on the neck. It was distracting to play. This feel isn't too far off from the poorly finished Gibby Single pup Melody Maker models of a few years back (but the Epi controls aren't knuckle-bustingly placed). Just a suggestion... If you have a GC somewhere nearby, you may want to try one of whatever color they have before you buy (as I've never seen them in the wild anywhere but GC).

dbrian66 and jefffam like this.
  3. SexyGibson

SexyGibson Squier-Nut

Nov 13, 2011
    Hagerstown. Md.
    I owned one in the Cherry finish. The pickups really live up to the hype. They are very articulate, cleans are very nice but can also do down and dirty very well.
    I had no type of sticky finish on mine BUT, the fretboard was FILTHY. The worse I have ever saw on any guitar, new or used. I soaked it real good with lemon oil and cleaned it with an old toothbrush. I also had to clean up a few sharp fret ends but nothing major.
    All in all, these little guitars are well worth the money.

dbrian66 and jefffam like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Alas, here in the wilds of rural NH ;) we have none.

But for the $99 I managed to get this instrument locked in for I won't mind putting some time and effort into it. Indeed my expectation is that after a quick plug in to make sure the electronics are sound and to check out that the neck is not somehow flawed (as in twisted), to take off the strings, remove the neck and do whatever I need to make it supremely playable. Frets. Finish. Whatever that requires.

When I purchased my older Junior on Reverb it was listed as being in very good condition (which it certainly was), but unmentioned in the description was the guitar had apparently seen some serious work to make it as good as it is. Fretwork. Even, I think, replacement pots, shielding and heavier wiring.

I'm not generally a project guy. I buy to play. But this project greatly intrigues me. -To see if I can make this guitar as good as is that Junior. It is now among my most favored players.

Of course the baseline quality may not be there. The gorgeous wood on the Junior's fretboard. (Very dark with fine grain. What is it?) The great action when set with heavy-to-light (10-52) Rotosound Blues.

If it ain't there I'll simply return it to MF and be one disappointed soul.

-don

dbrian66, jamndad, radiotech and 2 others like this.
  5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Don, I have the TV Yellow Special with the twin HB.

I bought it used and it does have some relicing. Whether artificial or natural, I don't know. That being said, there is no tackiness to the paint. Likewise no fret sprout or uneven frets, Whether factory or prior owner repaired I don't know.
    The only issue I had was I was unhappy with the intonation of the OE wraparound bridge. I replaced it with a wraparound bridge with adjustable intonation. Unlike others, I 've had no issues with the 'Badass type bridge'.

The guitar is a joy to play. The ultra hot HB leave a little to be desired, but are serviceable. You won't have that issue with your P-90's.

P.S. My Special with P-90's in Cherry, I bought from Kickstand, should be here Monday, We will get too explore our new 'toys' at the same time. :D

6. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    As always Don, I look forward to your review on this LP. TV Yellow is one of those older colors that always makes me smile. Here's an 80's model I owned until about 10 years ago. It lives happily with a friend and former band mate. I have visitation rights!

IMG_0115.JPG

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    dbrian66, Brever, duceditor and 7 others like this.
  7. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Good luck, Don. I always grab one of these and strum it a bit on my occasional trips to the local GC. I think they're pretty solid. For $99, what's to lose? I wanted that yellow guitar with P90's. I guess I just didn't have the patience to wait it out. Lookin' forward to your review, sir.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Don, I have both the worn black with P-90's and the worn red with HB's. Both are really nice, no rough fret ends, no tackiness on the neck and both intonate as well as any guitars I have, even with their wraparound bridges. Makes me wonder why I hear so much about that issue (and I have a really good sense of pitch and am very picky about tuning, etc). Makes me think it is much like all the 'issues' people claim with the Jag and JM bridges.

I will say that the worn black is a 2012 model and has a slightly chunkier neck than the worn red 2015 model I bought last fall. Both are fine with me. I really think these are the best bang for the buck guitars out there. I play both of them a lot, both because they are small, light and fun to play and they sound good.

dbrian66, so1om and Treynor like this.
  9. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    My Special I w/ P90's has the stock compensated wraparound bridge and I don't have intonation issues. I've never put it on a Peterson Strobe tuner or anything but it seems fine :D

If I do have an issue with mine it's that the bridge bolts seem loose in the bushings (the bolts actually lean a little in the bushings) so I've thought of replacing them. However I bought the guitar used so I can't say that was a factory issue or a product of the previous owner.

dbrian66 and Treynor like this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My Junior has that as well. But then again, so do some of the Gibson's I have seen.

I suppose it could get bad enough to matter, but the pull is only in one direction and the tension is great, so movement should be no issue unless things really get out of wack. And bridge height and forward/rearward settings are adjustable, so again, what is the harm?

The one piece stop bar/bridge is a pretty primitive affair. But that, too, fits the guitar. And some have expressed the thought that it is in part that simplicity that creates the tone that sets a "Jr." (or a 2 PUP "Special") apart from a regular P90-equipped Paul.

These have certainly become cult guitars for a reason -- and that reason isn't cost! :D

I simply cannot imagine that there is any way to "improve" upon this design. At least with the older Junior Epiphone just got it so right!

-don

11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    C'mon Guys - it's $ 99.00 ! ! ! !

dbrian66, jamndad, grizmit and 2 others like this.
  12. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    $99.00 of pure, TV Yellow, P90 joy!

dbrian66, grizmit, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I really wish my P-90 Special was yellow instead of black. I really don't care for black guitars at all. But, pawn shop find in like new condition, less than a year old, and $70 out the door. Couldn't pass it up once I had played it.

I do really like my HB Special 1 in the worn red. Got it last fall on sale at GC for $99 and have played it so much that the back of the neck is now smooth as glass and actually shiny. Now looks like a very smooth semi gloss.

dbrian66, jefffam and Treynor like this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Well, it's $99 for Don (because of the backorder), it's actually $129 now.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

If you can wait - I'm sure it come back down - or steal a used one from a spoiled rich kid - I take great joy in doing that ! lol

16. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    With the leaning/slightly loose posts for the bridge/stopbar/wraparound, I have had some success with wrapping a couple turns of plumbers teflon tape flat around the outside of the inserts, then gently tapping the tighter insert/post back in place,

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, this did not apply to my Special or Special II.

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    See what you made me do @duceditor , I came across this at a pawn shop for $50 today. If my wife is mad at me, I'm pointing the finger at you.....lol ;)
    1473454342625.jpg

Rat cam 68, dbrian66, Pat V. and 14 others like this.
  18. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    I always just use the same shopping saying I get from the General..."look how much money I saved us today!"

Very nice find...great price :)

dbrian66, mdparent03, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  19. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Nice Score - She'll get over it ! Make her Dinner or do something nice for her ! It's only $ 50.00 ! Some of the guys on here spend that on lunch ?

20. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Isn't it funny? Twenty five years ago I'd not have thought about getting such an instrument. Then I discovered the Squier Affinity Tele and everything flipped. Suddenly cheap was expected to be good. And in the case of my used Junior, very good.

Some here in the past have found fault with the "good for the money" phrase. I never did. To me it makes sense.

But now I have come to see that there almost isn't any cost/quality equation. Just guitars that work well for me and others that don't.

In truth that "$99" is in he equation. If it hadn't been so cheap (and it took some doing to get the TV Yellow one for that price) I'd not have seen a reason to get it.

Yeah, it has two PUPs while the Jr. has only one. But that one is truly all it needs. What a range of sounds it can provide, from hot rock to cool jazz.

Nah, I just saw it and said to myself "wow, for that money how can I say no?" And now -- finally, some four months later -- its on the way.

:)

-don

Pat V., Treynor, mdparent03 and 4 others like this.