Egnater tweaker tube swapping

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Redwhiteandblues, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:41 PM.

1. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Meister

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    any tweaker owners here? How many have messed with tube swapping.

Just did this today went from all stock egnater ruby 6v6 power tubes to Groove fender exclusive 6L6 power tubes

And the preamp I left all 12ax7 in but went from the egnater branded sovteks to a JJ in V1, Groove GT V2, and a new sovtek in V3

Outcome a little brighter more bottom end and it defiantly came alive. These are great amps
    DFC37362-935D-4E83-9DE8-9C1194388570.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 10:27 PM
    Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier Talker

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
  3. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    What was the difference from stock? Preamp still stock to?

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've heard (read) about that but how do you do it? Do you need some type of tube converter? Do you need a special 6L6 tube?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    No these egnater tweaker 15s are cathode biased. You can run a long list of tubes with out rebiasing or anything it’s just a cool perk of these amps. I use this amp for my modern type tones you could say and it’s a great pedal platform amp. Another secret on these is to crank the volume then use your gain knob as your master volume. Works well if your using pedals. Defiantly one of the best bang for your buck on tube amps.

The 6L6 just barley fits with the vent plate screwed back on the top. But of course if there’s is a tall tube you can leave that vent plate off so they fit.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 10:18 PM
  6. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Pretty much any octal tube will work

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Careful... there are plenty of old octal preamp tubes around.

8. drewcp

drewcp Squier Talker

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I bought it used, and didn’t play it much before swapping them out. I already had a particular tone in mind, and another 6V6 amp. The two 5881 tubes were from a quad set in a different amp where one had failed.

I can’t recall if I changed the preamp tube or what’s in it right now. Probably a JJ

9. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Lot of guys recommended trying the 5881. I may buy a set to see what I like better.

10. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Still running the stock tubes in mine. I love this amp, it's pretty damned versatile...

Redwhiteandblues likes this.
  11. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    It’s a great amp that can do it all. A Friedman BE OD really makes it rip

12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    thanks. that's what I meant so the connectors just fit in without requiring some type of adapter. I'm just asking because I'm always on the lookout for a low-cost amp that will accept use 6L6 tubes. As I play clean I'd like something with a 12-inch speaker and with a little headroom so 15 watts would be OK. I just found out about these three new combo amps with a 12-inch speaker from Blackstar that offer different configurations but one has a single 6L6. Sweetwater is selling them on sale for about $400. I already have the Blackstar Fly and the
    ID Core 10, which I like quite a lot for its size and simplicity and sounds.

But I can buy a used Peavey Valve King combo with a 12-inch speaker or the head for about $200 and up. And it has 50 watts so miles of headroom there.

But having the ability to swap tubes in and out sure would be a plus.

13. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    You would love these amps. I have a couple fender and this. The reason I like this tweaker so much is because it can cover a wide range of genres. And an awesome pedal platform. It’s compact and 15 Watts is plenty for a band and small shows. But like a said a lot of people who say they don’t like the tweaker is because they aren’t using it right. You really have to get those power tubes hot. Once you do it sings. And the matching cab I have with mine sounds great apparently Bruce Egnater went through a lot of speakers to find the fight right one to work with this amp.

14. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Sweetwater has them pretty cheap new but alotnon reverb for a good buy If you want used.

15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

I'm certain that's true. But when you say the amp is at its best when the tubes get hot, that's the opposite of the sound I'm after which is clean clean. I've tried some 5-watt tube amps, admittedly with the 6V6 tubes, and found that there is not enough clean headroom for me to play my lower-output guitars to give a clean-enough tone at a volume my old ears can appreciate. And of course a 6V6 tube does not sound exactly like a 6L6.

ChinaCatSunflower likes this.
  16. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    I play clean mainly to maybe slight break up. It stays very clean by maxing the volume then using ththe gain knob in place of your master volume. You can have a great clean tone at
    Bedroom levels or
    A band setting this way.
    You get the tubes cooking without all the
    Volume. That’s the best way to play any tube amp in my opinion. And if you are a bedroom player
    Volume and master volume are a must for an amp
    To have.

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I'm a bedroom player I guess. When (if) I get better I can become a living room player. LOL

No, really. Then that sounds as if it would work for me. Like you I work with the volume, master volume (if the amp has it) and the gain knobs.

(Btw, the best amp I have ever owned was an old Silverface Fender Pro Reverb, the one that was essentially a Fender Twin body with two 12-inch speakers but the power section was smaller and had 40 watts. I had the earlier version without a master volume control. Ohmigosh did that sound great and that's why I fell in love with the sound of amps with 6L6 tubes. Of course the two speakers also added a wall of sound, too. I am just hoping to find something I can afford that will sound just even a bit like that amp I had from a couple decades ago. I sold it at consignment because I was taking care of my deceased parents' home and I was waiting for the estate to clear and I had no money coming in. The guitar shop guy quickly sold it for what I asked and told me it was the best-sounding amp in his store and he used it to try to sell his guitars. That made me feel good ... yet sad ... at the same time.

Sorry to divert from this thread but the Tweaker certainly is on my short list.)

Redwhiteandblues likes this.
  18. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Defiantly hard to beat those older fender amps sucks you had to let it go tho. I have a blues JR and a USA hot rod deluxe to. I swapped a different preamp tube in V1 to cut the gain down on the hot rod and use my eq pedal in the effects loop to control the master volume make it more a bedroom amp and man that thing sounds so awesome. You can usually find them for under $500. Blues jr is a great amp to buy no 6L6. That being said for a compact fender amp that gives you that awesome fender tone we love there’s not a better option in my mind. But again the tweaker comes very close to a fender clean and it has voicings to sound more like a Marshall and a Vox. It’s defiantly a tone chasers amp you create your sound.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 1:51 AM