Early NGD, with some problems.

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by RegularJim, Oct 14, 2019.

1. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Good morning,

I recently purchased this back ordered model from MF, since they were having a big sale. Wasn't supposed to ship until January 2020, but showed up on Friday. Imagine my surprise and delight. Anyway, this is one of the "new and improved" Bullet models.

I just had hand surgery last week, so I haven't been able to play it like I typically play, but I'm getting there. This particular unit had a problem with the switch, so that it only worked in the middle position, sometimes. I talked to MF and they gave me a rebate and I ordered a genuine Fender switch for it. (As it turns out, I fixed the new Bullet with the switch from my Standard Tele, and put the nice Fender switch in the Standard.) The fret work was nothing to write home about and the saddles were jacked way up high. Also one of the neck screw holes was stripped out. And the neck was on crooked. For some reason the neck was shimmed with some thick sandpaper, which I promptly removed.

I spent the weekend correcting all the issues and got it in a playable condition the best I can while babying my hand. One thing I can't correct is the neck bow. Even with the truss rod fully disengaged the strings barely pull any relief into the neck. It's still got the factory 9's on it and it may do better when I eventually put 10's on it. I've only had this problem one other time and it was also on a Bullet Tele, although it was a way worse scenario, with a very happy ending. You can read that story here... http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/hats-off-to-fender-they-stepped-up.152622/

Anyway, I guess I'll play it until I can't no more.

All negative stuff aside, the color is gorgeous, and I like that they stopped putting "Squier BULLET" and just used "Squier Telecaster" on the logo. And I'm only in it for $94!

Thanks for reading until the end.

20191014_072137.jpg

SquierTap, Bullcat, CVSteve and 20 others like this.
  2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Sorry you had issues with her but she beautiful. Hope you heal up quickly.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I, too, ordered one of those recently. I wasn't expecting it to be shipped until January, but it's scheduled to arrive here tonight. I'll probably have some 'splaining to do when the wife sees the box, but I think she'll warm up to it when she sees the color of the guitar.

I hope your hand heals quickly. That you were able to do all of that work on the guitar so soon after surgery is surely a good sign.

JurnyWannaBe and radiotech like this.
  4. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Good gracious. Not a good pitch for the latest Bullets. :D

Speedy healing for that hand!

Loin Lover and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    If it was me, I'd get another neck for it.

6. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    First, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Also, HNGD! (sort of)

You appear to have a tremendous, positive attitude toward an instrument, albeit an economical budget friendly instrument, which would disappoint most of us without going full on Black Oak Arkansas with it. Good for you for having the ability to make it mostly right.

My heartburn with your tale is a beginning guitarist, or perhaps someone returning to guitar after many moons without playing, would have a terrible experience trying to tune and play it. Certainly I would not expect a Bullet to feel and perform the same as a Custom Shop Tele, buttttt....

7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Ida returned that thang !

MrYeats likes this.
  8. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    $94? Wow. And I love the color (Thus my moniker here). I hope you can get the truss rod nut working to satisfaction. Maybe it was installed incorrectly. Maybe pulling the nut out and drop a washer on, then the the nut, would do the trick. That will be hard for you to do with one hand for now though.

Robb likes this.
  9. elfnub

elfnub Squier Talker

Oct 15, 2019
    SE OHIO, USA
    Wow, congrats. I'm suprised at your patience. I would have noped out and returned it. You'll probably love her that much more when you get everything straightened out.

10. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I don't like buying another's headaches. I would have got the refund. These are just the initial problems that MF is trying to unload on the public.
    Sorry, It is a pretty guitar, but if it don't play, it goes away.

11. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    GREAT color !!!

12. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Can't you return it and get another one? I would with the neck bow issue.

13. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Id keep it.. as long as it actually tightens and loosens..
    And its straight other than that. (No bends to the side).
    Put 10s on it for a spell.. eventually the extra stress will cause the natural relief that most guitars have..
    Congrats on the new beauty..

14. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I could have returned it for the switch issue, but it's almost easier to install a switch as it is to repack a guitar in its original packaging. Not to mention having to schedule a pickup or drive it to the UPS store. The neck issue isn't a problem right now. It's within specifications (barely) and is playable as it is with the factory 0.09's. Also, didn't notice it until I gave it a good setup. Since they come with a 2-year warranty, I thought I'd let it settle in a bit and see what happens, time is on my side here. For now, I've got it ironed out and it's working well.

I've returned guitars on a few occasions, I had an Epiphone with the bridge off-center, and a Gretsch that wouldn't stay in tune (probably the nut, but I didn't want to "modify" it and ruin the warranty). Not to mention the other Bullet Tele I had with neck bow (wouldn't relieve even with 0.11's). Maybe it'll bow back some more and they'll send me another Standard, like they did last time!

15. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    It's a hard guitar not to keep. It really does play and look above its price range. 9's are usable right now (truss rod loose -- I'd like it to be usable with the TR engaged a little), and I'll get around to installing 10's at some point, since that is typically what I use for everything.

squierbilly likes this.
  16. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    The truss rod works in the tight direction, but it's only single-action so now it's just the wood and the strings fighting it out.

17. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I get it, I hate having to send things back.
    It sure looks great. Love that color.

18. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Wow, that is nice. Didn't realize they were making them this color.

19. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I'm getting obsessed with the LPB color lately. I'm working on getting a strat body in that color. Now I'm thinking about a tele body. Thanks!!!! I'm not sure it thanks is in order or if I should be mad your giving me gas.

20. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Well with that price, it's on the hairy edge of keep or return.

As for the sandpaper shim, that's not uncommon. Fender even use to have them with part numbers printed on them. My Peavey has a piece that is actually stapled to the neck to hold it's position between the screws and micro-tilt plate. So I would not have removed it unless there was an issue with it being shimmed too much. Likely not. I tend to shim 0.010 to 0.015" at the heel.

Other wise, beautiful.

Get well soon.

Loin Lover and RegularJim like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice