E7 Bullet 2-point tremolo Q

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by daan, Dec 14, 2017.

1. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Can I replace the 2-pointer with a 6-screw style trem? I was gonna just clean up the one I have, but whatever gorilla had my guitar before me, actually BENT the tremolo up! The arm was broken off in the block, the block is cracked, and the plate on top appears to not be flat anymore. That and the saddles and screws are all rusted. I’ve had good luck with the GFS ones, but they’re all 6-screw ones. Or the 2-pointers that use ferrules screwed into the body...
    I want to put this guitar back together, cause I was having fun playing it. Has anyone here replaced the stock trem with something else and had good luck with it?

Attached Files:

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I have the same guitar at home, but am out of town. I'll be home Saturday. I'll look at this issue and see if any of my spare trem assemblies look like they would would fit readily. It think these MIKs have wider string spacing than the MIM trems so there could be some issues.

The 2 wood screws they used for trem pivots in the MIK and MIJ models are inadequate for long term trem use, and often the holes in the body are wobbled out and the screws are leaning towards the neck from the string tension. Since your trem plate is damaged, you are going to need another approach than just repairing back to original components.

Your body looks very good. My guitar has a lot of cracking of the maple veneer that covers the front and rear faces of these.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Other than the damage by the output jack, and the finish yellowing, the body is in good shape.
    This is the third E7 I’ve had, and it’s by far in the best shape. None of the other ones had working electronics, and they all had the cracking in the finish.

Attached Files:

4. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Thanks for the pics. You're making me feel better about mine, which at least has the cracking mainly on the back and should be an easier fix than yours.

Attached Files:

5. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/Squier-and-Import-Strat-Shorty-trem-Solid-STEEL-block-_p_24707.html

So I took a chance on one of these. I tried soaking my old trem in oil to try and get it apart (the whole saddle area is corroded, none of the screws will turn) and I realized that the original trem is just too far gone to mess with. I’ve had good luck with these GFS ones, and now they sell ones that will fit in thin-body imports (so I don’t have to cut the fulcrum block and redrill them any more! Yay!) I measured it and it APPEARS the same size as the old one. I will drill the 4 middle mount holes, fill and redrill the two outer ones (the original screws are a few sizes bigger than the new trems’ Screws are) and will get a set of Stainless screws to mount it with. (All the new hardware I buy gets Stainless screws, because the screws these come with seem to be made of soft metal, and I’ve twisted the heads off them more than once installing trems and tuners)
    I really like this guitar and want to bring it back to life, and now that the holidays are over, I should have time to.

Attached Files:

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Apologies! I see from my post above that I never got back to you about checking other trem assemblies for suitability. Looks like you have it well sorted now.

7. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Note that your original trem was 2 3/16" string spacing and the GFS in the link is 2 1/16" spacing as used on many but not all imports. It is only 1/8" more narrow than the original, but possibly something you will notice when you start playing it again. Here is a pic from a 1987 MIK Squier Bullet.

IMG_20180107_124704721.jpg

8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Thanks for the measurement, I knew it wouldn’t be exact but I think I can live with 1/8”...

9. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    Hey.. if either of you still have the 2 point bridge screws and are not going to use them.. I would buy them from ya. Thanks.

10. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I will look for the screws when I get home. I ...THINK I know where I put them, but my work area kinda looks like the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark... :)

11. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Sorry, I don't have any spares of these screws. All of my guitars that had them originally still have them, but the trems have been decked.

12. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    Thanks to you both.

13. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    4AF6BBD9-A3E1-4EDE-A991-970A578CE99E.jpeg B0031FA8-EA07-4AC0-B1D5-6B3EC5BE155F.jpeg
    Does this look like the proper screw? I tore my work room apart and only found this one screw... I know I had two of them, but hell if I can’t find the other one

14. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

That is a conventional wood screw. The correct screw looks like the one on the right in this photo. Note that just under the head, it has a rounded groove machined for the trem plate to rest against and pivot on. The head is only slightly bigger than the hole in the trem plate.

2007-01-02 21.56.55.jpg

15. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    Correct. I actually fabricated 2 from stainless screws . They are close but not quite the same and would rather the OEM screws. I do appreciate the effort. Thanks again.

16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Ok... so I will go look through my big screw jar, to see if they made it into that... ugh, how do I lose everything? I KNOW I kept the screws, cause I knew somebody would need them...

17. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    Hope you find them. Thanks again