e string too close to edge of fretboard

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Davis Sharp, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    So I took the neck off the Harley Benton to see what's under there (a neck pocket). When I put it back on and strung up the guitar, I noticed that the 1st e string is now very close to the edge of the fretboard. Then I remembered that some of you know the trick to center it better by loosening the neck and then doing something. Could someone remind me what that something is? Thanks.

[​IMG]

Kenneth Mountain and Big tuna like this.
  2. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Just loosen neck screws enough to pull neck towards you the re tighten after its centered.

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
  4. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I did this on my strat after I i put a new neck on. I used the center fret marker and made sure it was between the D and G strings evenly as I was adjusting the position of the neck in the pocket with the screws loosened. Worked like a charm

Davis Sharp likes this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Good, but I must add the caveat that not all fret markers are perfectly centered.

I've measured the distance from the markers to the fretboard edges on my Squier. The 3rd fret marker is good, but the farther up the neck I go, the farther off-center the markers are. I can't use them to align the neck.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    Davis Sharp likes this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Few guitars line up perfectly. PUP screws should be a perfect gauge of position/centering. They rarely are. Same for every other physical marker.

I've learned to go by playability. Sometimes I even make my strings a bit biased toward the bass side since even intense vibrato or bending there won't move them beyond the neck, where down south it will.

It took time for me to accept this "imperfection" but in the end the music is the thing. :)

-don

ElRey67 and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I got sidetracked doing household stuff this weekend. I hate that!

Hotrodleroy and ElRey67 like this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the help. It took a little bit of pulling and pushing. I initially replaced the neck screws randomly, but decided to swap a couple of them. Next time, I'll make sure to note which screws came from which holes. In the end it was back in place with the desired relief and action, and a little tweak for intonation. The fret markers are not perfectly centered, but they weren't when the guitar arrived.

[​IMG]

duceditor, Big tuna and BlueSquirrel like this.