Duo-Sonic CV Bridge & Tuner Upgrade Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by raymeedc, Dec 4, 2018.

1. raymeedc

raymeedc Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    This is my first dip into "Fender" waters, always been a Gibson Guy (for nigh on 50 years). I have an '08 Duo-Sonic Classic Vibe arriving in a few days & would like advice on the best individual saddles bridge & tuner replacement hardware that would fit with the least possible bit of alteration...... I don't much care about vintage correctness one way or the other..... Thanks in advance for any help you can offer a virtual newbie in this particular corner of our field.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    jagmaster and RoyalWe like this.
  2. raymeedc

raymeedc Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York

3. spellcaster

spellcaster Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2010
    Duncan, BC Canada
    When I got my 2007 CV Duosonic, the thing I was least satisfied with was intonation. I tried a set of compensated Tele saddles but didn't think they worked well on the shorter scale neck. I ended up changing to a Strat hardtail bridge. It involves notching the pickguard to fit.

[​IMG]

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I have those tuners on my Mustang, there is no need to replace them--there is nothing to upgrade IME.

Don't see why a set of compensated saddles won't work better than a straight saddle--it's about trade offs since intonation can never be perfect. A different string gauge could also help things along.

Lots of stuff out there but these are my favorite:

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...ster-saddle-brass-1-4-offset-barrel-set-of-3/

phillybrasssaddles.jpg

so1om likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    You should be able to use
    Comp'd, adjustable Tele saddles might be able to be dialed in, but comp'd, non-adjustable saddles aren't likely to intonate correctly.

Comp'd, non-adjustable Tele saddles are comp'd for a 25 1/2" scale length. This is a 24" scale. IIRC it's also a wacky neck. All other 24" Fenders can interchange necks, but IIRC you can't use a Mustang, Duo-Sonic, Bronco, or Musicmaster neck on the Squier CV Duo-Sonic. The neck pocket to saddle dimension is correct for a Strat-style neck and a 25 1/2" scale, but the CV has a 24" 'conversion' neck with unique fret spacing so it works right.

The OP should be able to use plain Tele saddles on the CV D-S. CV Tele brass or steel saddles should be in the ballpark for correct string spacing, but a problem if they are not, since the saddles are grooved. Plain saddles for MIM and MIA *might* need to have their ends ground so they don't touch each other.

6. spellcaster

spellcaster Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2010
    Duncan, BC Canada
    I changed my CV Duosonic neck for a 71 Fender Musicmaster neck, so I'm guessing most 24" scale necks have a good chance of working. However, I tried test-fitting the CV Duosonic neck with a Strat body and it doesn't work. I've also had a 65 Musicmaster 22 1/2" scale neck on the Duosonic, and it also (barely) intonated. Wacky's a good way of describing these things.

Archetype is correct about the Tele compensated saddles....They don't work well with a 24" scale neck. The exception would be the Wilkinson adjustable saddles that pivot, but they're a fair bit more money than standard compensated saddles.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    If this were so, then a non-adjustable bridge like a Mustang or Staytrem would need to be retooled between a 24" and 25.5" scale. That simply doesn't happen, both bridges are interchangeable between a 24" scale Jag/Mustang and the 25.5" Jazzmaster. 52mm string spacing seems to be the happy medium.

I'll check my Philly saddles. If the string spacing is wider than 52mm then there may be problems. In that case, a set of angled barrel compensated saddles like Glendale are the next best thing, but they are kind of pricey. Just like a Tele they won't be perfect, only close. Mixing and matching is an option too, like using an offset saddle for the plain G, and straight barrels for the two outer sets of strings.

Folks like Rutters machine their saddles in-house. I'm sure they can be coerced into machining a compensated set for a particular scale or string gauge ($$$). Apart from converting to a six saddle top loader (not my preference), this is the next best thing for those who want this kind of control.

8. raymeedc

raymeedc Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm soaking up all of your this far offered info, guys, Thanks. By the way, since I see it mentioned a couple of times in your replies, price is not a factor, I'm just looking for the best solution.

9. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Let's start at the beginning. You don't have the guitar, yet. What are you trying to solve related to the saddles?

AngelDeVille likes this.
  10. raymeedc

raymeedc Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    Intonation problems I've read about on these forums (including this thread) experienced by other owners, Archetype, hence heading off a predictive problem at the pass. Half assed tuners have always particularly bothered me, & so, anticipating that to be a likely problem also with what I've read, I'd like to get some advanced info on that front in case that proves to be so.

11. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    HNGD, that’s a great guitar you bought.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    On an American Tele bridge plate, the Philly saddles want to sit 54mm E to E. A little wide, but not 55/56mm as they are on some Mustang bridges. I have no intonation problems, granted it’s a 25.5” scale neck. Note that Gotoh and other compensated saddles have different offsets, anywhere between just over 1 mm and up to 2 mm. My 24” Mustang has compensation offsets within that range. I’d just try it and play it before you assume there will be problems from the word go *shrugs*

Things said on guitar forums have often been greatly exaggerated :)

13. raymeedc

raymeedc Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    Yes, good advice, I certainly intend to wait & see if any compensation is called for, just poking around beforehand to pick up some knowledge in advance on the subject in either case.

14. Telecastoff

Telecastoff New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    MN
    I just bought one of these yesterday off CL. Everything was great until I went to change strings. The high E tuner literally fell apart and doesn't want to stay back together. Anybody have a favorite place to purchase a whole new, up-graded, drop-in set?

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Got pics?

Depends on what you mean by upgraded. I found my CV Duo tuners on ebay, pretty inexpensive. If I didn't get these I'd get some plastic buttoned Gotoh splits. I like plastic buttons, they look cool ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice