Dug Out - Part I

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I had 4 inches of hard pack ice. I had to break it with a metal edger then use the snowblower. Supposedly getting 5 to 12 inches of snow overnight. Oh well. It may not be winter, but it is December and therefore...winter

2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    In truth it is ice that concerns me more than snow. I can pace myself with digging out as needed, but a slip is instantaneous and can be terrible, especially for an older person..

One great help is something called YaxTrax -- thingies that add enormous amount of traction to a pair of shoes or boots. In Winter I have a pair (old motorcycle boots actually) always ready for a trip to the mailbox and the like.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 8.50.43 PM.png

That and care.

3. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Our physician uncle said “No shoveling after 40.”

jefffam likes this.
  4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    We don't mess around, we have some of these. I can climb a steep slope running with them. Better take them off before coming in on the wood floor though.

01.jpg

I bet his winter ride is one of these and he has a nightime sideline.

SB21-Series-Loader-Mount-Snow-Blower.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My understanding of the danger of snow shoveling is that generally sedate people will suddenly take on a huge work load. And for such people it may indeed be good, if hardly practical, advice.

I've never been a person of great physical action. No sports for instance. A love or reading and the like. In fact my stated position has long been that that the only things worth heavy sweating is making music and making love. But still country living -- actual "living" really -- requires a certain level of physical action. In my case that includes such things as stacking and carrying firewood on a daily schedule.

When I again got close with a friend from my youth -- one who had, as is a common custom among the Long Island circle of my now distant youth, moved to a condo in Florida -- his wife was rather shocked by our rather different life here semi-rural America. (A totally strange place to such as she!) "Bringing in firewood and all that -- its just too much work!"

I agreed that I paid a price for it. "You are right. It leaves me far too tired to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill"

Her silence suggested she did not see the irony. For her husband, my dear friend, sees the need to do just that. To "work" on a treadmill. Doing what? Accomplishing what? Maybe more time for some odd daytime TV? "The View" perhaps? Or watching someone talk about some sport stats?

At age 73, and in so-so health, I could not go out and dig a walkway by hand with a shovel. But I can and do operate a heavy duty snow blower, and then do some cleanup with a shovel afterward.

As I see it that's life. And I am no fan of daytime (or any time, really ) TV.

:)

-don

6. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My father is 82 and can probably still outwork a lot of us here. He has shown the value of continue to do manual labor, to sometimes forego the gas powered machinery. It keeps you strong! As for stacking and cutting firewood, It is still one of the more manly things left to us. Warms you twice that way as well!

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    :D I might use that quote.

ScoobySnacker and duceditor like this.
  8. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    So our power is out as of of 11:00 Pm last night .
    Estimate for restoration is 2-3 days:eek:

9. Ishmann

Ishmann Squier-Nut

We got at least 14 inches in 10 hours last week in Colorado. At least it wasn't windy where I live or it could of been really bad.

10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Ouch!

Our went out just past noon, but it was restored in just over an hour.

The reason was the very dense wet snow made tress droop -- maybe even some large branches snap -- onto the lines.

I hope it is not too cold where you live Duzie. Have you options?

-don

11. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    27 degrees right now :rolleyes:
    We have a generator to run the essentials .
    Since we do a lot of camping , we’re good with lanterns and such if need be .
    Don thanks for asking :)

duceditor likes this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Good to hear!!

-don

duzie likes this.
  13. Look like my sneakers wouldn't make it out there.:D Cheers, Barrie.

duceditor likes this.
  14. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I'll second the recommendation for YaxTrax. I love mine. Now that I have an artificial knee, mishaps are much easier than when I was a tad younger. These things add enough traction to keep me from falling (if I'm careful).

duceditor likes this.
  15. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    It was thus for me when I lived a very rural, wood-burning life. I was never in better shape than then and the calories burned were very productive.

16. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    His ride was a non-Winter-worthy Fiat 124 Spider and he’s too dead to drive. Although his advice was intended to prevent heart attacks, he had one, ironically, and died after failing to heed his doctors orders. Doctors can be the worst patients.

DrBeGood likes this.
  17. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    Status update!
    Electric restored to my home after 36 hrs .
    Now to turn it up to 11 lol !

duceditor and Uncle Joe like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice