Dug Out - Part I

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Dec 2, 2019.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    We got what appears to have been 14 inches of very wet, heavy, snow last night. Our plow guy came and did the extended (1/6 mile) driveway, then Jan and I got busy. I with the snow blower doing the paths, plus around the back of the house proper, around the hot tub, to the rear door, etc. Jan cleared the porches and the hot tup steps with a shovel.

Woo Hoo! Done! Well, until tonight when another 8 to 12 inches care expected.

And it ain't even Winter yet!

:)

-don

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 11.32.30 AM.png 2019-12-02_11-13-10_440.jpeg 2019-12-02_11-14-02_610.jpeg

corn, fadetoz, radiotech and 15 others like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Looks pretty! Glad it’s at your house and not mine though. :)

3. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Nice first dump. That one missed us.

4. YIKES !!!
    eyes-bugged-out.jpg

You are well prepared for such events Don.
    Stay warm. Cheers, Barrie.

5. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
  6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Nice place duceditor. As for the snow, it looks nicer than it is, IMO. It looks best once the driveway is clear.

We'll catch eight inches, maybe more, up in the mountains of Northwest NJ. I haven't decided when to leave the office but it should be an interesting drive home. Got the snow blower ready for action this past weekend, but I'm never really ready for it.

God bless the drivers from down south who are behind the wheel up here for the first time. I think there are more this year than ever. It's terrifying.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  7. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Man, I'm sitting up here in Manitoba just wishing we'd get some Snow. We get our snow 2 cm(less than 1 inch) at a time. Waste of winter, I want to ski! If I Lived 2 hours south I'd have all the snow I wanted. The Dakotas seem to get tonnes of snow, we get none. :(

8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Me too! :D

One nice thing about snow in places like the Monanocks (unlike when I lived in Boston or on Long Island) is that it stays white and clean - that because the air is and the area is lightly populated.

-don

9. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    I heard rumor this will be the worst winter in 50 years. At least that's what the farmers are saying...

10. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I do enjoy seeing pics of your place, @duceditor. Just beautiful.

mb doug, fattboyzz and duceditor like this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Worst in what way ? A bad winter for a farmer might be the best for a skier.

mb doug likes this.
  12. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    No diesel-fueled buses idling=white snow.

I don't miss that "city" snow at all.

mb doug and duceditor like this.
  13. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    BFC7D1B7-CB94-4AD3-ACBA-7CACE2D22C38.jpeg
    I’m here in Wantage about 2 miles from the High Point Monument.
    I had so much ice this morning that the snowblower was useless !
    Ugh this now on top of the 1-2 inches of ice .

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  14. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Yup. I'm in Mount Olive by the high school. We had ice this morning too. I'm not sure what it'll be like when I get home but I'm probably in the same boat, the snow blower won't do the trick. Unfortunately its supposed to be in the thirties all week so I don't think this stuff will melt anytime soon. I hate chipping ice.

mb doug and duzie like this.
  15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    2000000000087175.jpeg

My wife just sent me this photo. Not too bad but I guess I should've taken down our soccer goal and backstop. The trampoline always survives.

16. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    As in death on the highway, no bread or milk on the shelves bad. We get an inch of powder here and everyone loses their minds. I don't worry about getting stuck or spinning out on the road, I worry about other drivers who have no idea what to do when a car drifts in the sleet and snow. I lived half my days in Reno before moving here, the other half I drove through the creeks and mud in my fj40 Land Cruiser for fun. So I am pretty good in low traction situations.

A few years ago I left work in Clemson about an hour after sundown and the sleet had started to stick. I was in my 2wd Ranger and managed to make it home the 20 or so miles in 2nd gear. Shifting into 3rd meant spinning the rear end out and drifting into a lateral slide. I must have passed 50+ cars and even 4wd SUVs which spun out and wound up in the ditch on my way to Liberty. One of them passed me on the highway hauling ass and a few miles down the road they were stuck in the ditch.

The worst spot was the hill climb on the way to the highway. I barely made it to the top of the hill using my momentum and judicious feathering of the throttle. There were at least a dozen vehicles which didn't make it which slid backwards down the hill and wound up in the ditch after losing momentum and traction. Luckily my bed was full of junk which put weight over the rear wheels. There were news stories of school busses full of kids having to spend the night on the side of the road in the blizzard. It was pandemonium. I never seen anything like it. And that was maybe 6 inches of ice and snow.

Ugggg....

17. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Driving in this stuff is a learned skill. One we here MUST learn. It is simply part of learning to drive.

I commuted fr six winters -- leaving the house at 3:30am each morning to drive to Boston. The road took me over Temple Mountain. My wife worked on the other side of Temple too, she from about 3:00pm to midnight and she, too, had to be a master.

Jan had an Xterra. Nothing would hold her back. But she learned that from age 16 on manual tranny cars.

For that matter all we had for the first year or so of our marriage was a motorcycle. We used that for such as our food shopping, and yes, even in winter. Such was just how it was. You needed to go, you went. With care, skill and a prayer.

:)

-don

mb doug, Big tuna and duzie like this.
  18. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I don't go out in 30 foot waves when I windsurf, because I know I'll be out of my league. Winter is the same. respect it and it won't slap you.

mb doug and duceditor like this.
  19. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Snows pretty to look at. I don't envy those that live where it is prolific. BTDT.

Those of you in heavy snow areas, please be careful. Driving especially around idiots is dangerous. Something to bear in mind, shoveling snow is a major cause of heart attacks. Especially those with a few years under their belt and who've been doing it all their lives. As our bodies age gets up there, the ability to shovel snow as we did 20 or 30 years ago is no longer there. Please be aware and very careful.

mb doug likes this.
  20. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    We had a 2 min snowfall this am it was rough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice