Dreaded Bridge Question

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by darkheart, Dec 5, 2018.

1. darkheart

darkheart Squier Talker

Dec 5, 2018
    Runnemede
    So I’m new to the forum and like most new users, I’m looking for help.

I just got myself a 2018 Squier Contemporary Strat. Not my first Squier, but it is my first Squier with a 2-Point Tremolo (which I normally do prefer). Here’s the catch, I maybe should have done a little more research beforehand. I could have sworn I had heard somewhere that the Contemporary series would be using a cheaper version (still using pot metal for the black, etc) of the bridge Fender uses on the Professional series- the personal selling point of which being the push-in trem arm. Apparently I heard wrong as it arrived with the typical threaded bridge and arm they’ve been using for quite some time.

My question is this: Does anyone know of a direct drop in replacement for this 2-point Squier system that features a push-ish arm? I’m thinking somewhere along the lines of Wilkinson/Hipshot.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ElRey67 likes this.
  2. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
  3. darkheart

darkheart Squier Talker

Dec 5, 2018
    Runnemede
    Hey MK,
    Thanks for the input. Do you have that installed on a Fender or Squier?
    I have a bridge similar to that but the factory post holes don’t seem line up well enough on my Contemporary for a good it. Even just trying to install and string it up, it’s a battle to keep the bridge from losing retention and shifting up and over the bridge posts. It’s the right side- without the small detent for the knife edge to sit into that seems to be the most problematic.

I through the link you shared that there is a WVS 50k and a WVS 50II K. Looking at the diagram I can see the post spacing is different between the two models and judging from the photos, I believe what I already have is the WVS 50II K version as I’m almost certain there is a collared sleeve for the trem arm on the mode I have.
    So for a Squier (if that’s what yours is installed on), you think I would have better luck with the WVS 50K? I know the pole spacing on the 50K is actually 63mm from the center of each post and the WVS 50II K is 56mm post-to-post.
    Seems like a small different but it’s enough to keep the guitar from playing as it should.
    Just want to make sure I order the right thing.

Thanks again

4. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I had the one in the link on a Squier Standard. It worked great and the tuning stability was almost as good as a Floyd Rose. As far as I know the Contemporary series should have the 63mm post spacing like the Standard series. The Fender American Standard has 56mm spacing.

darkheart likes this.
  5. darkheart

darkheart Squier Talker

Dec 5, 2018
    Runnemede
    Thanks @mkgearhead, I went with your suggestion. Was surprised how affordable that model is.
    Looking forward to dropping this in.

It’s funny that this Contemporary Strat actually holds tuning very well compared to any previous Squier I’ve had. If it weren’t for the threaded bar, I’d happily keep it in the guitar.
    My Squier Standard on the other hand, is a nightmare- which as you said, appears to have the same bridge.
    Ordered 2 and replacing the bridge on both. Crossing my fingers but I think you’ve steered me in the right direction.

mkgearhead likes this.
  6. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest