Down the Rabbit Hole...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JVer, Feb 11, 2019.

1. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Welcome. I think you need an even number. one more would be easier on the eyes wouldn't it? Consider this. If you put 2 of them on the left side of your desk and 1 on the other side you would be out of balance. So I think you need at least one more.

SquierTap, Hotrodleroy, JVer and 2 others like this.
  2. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Welcome to squier stalkers.. is that three J5s i see?..
    How about a jim root?..
    download.jpeg
    Not mine :(..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  3. JVer

JVer Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    Winnipeg
    Wonkenstein, I do dig the humbucker punch. But Corn is right, I also need a standard configuration.
    One of these guitars will likely be the recipient, but there are going to be challenges. The J5Sq is a quirky guitar. Take the bridge: as I understand it, the plate is wider than the typical single coil bridge, and the pickup routing would be exposed on the sides after the install. Maybe there's an adapter plate to go from hb to sc? I don't know if the traditional single coil bridge pickup fits in the stock routing. I'm wondering if this bridge is also shorter than typical, as the pickguard relief for it is more shallow than a typical Tele pickguard?
    (Speaking of pickguard, I'm in the process of cutting a black one, gonna throw it on the currently gold on gold guitar. The idea is to make it the "negative" of the gold on black guitar. Maybe even black hardware down the road. ...of course, this also means aquiring another gold on gold J5Sq...)

Yup. Got it bad...

4. JVer

JVer Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    Winnipeg
    Fadetoz, that 4th J5 is in the plan, as I just posted. There's even a spot reserved on the wall for it, beside the other 3.
    Squierbilly, the Jim Roots are cool. What's with these guitars not having tone knobs though, right? Adding one to at least one of these guitars is also part of the plans.

Hotrodleroy and fadetoz like this.
  5. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Good plan.. I like the J5s

Hotrodleroy, JVer and squierbilly like this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I'd like a Gold one....

7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Like potato chips. Can't have just one. Or three.

8. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    You are well on the road to Pre Hab! And yes, Corn IS right.... there has to be a standard configuration otherwise you won't be properly Telefied. I don't know about the pickup routs on these because I haven't had one in the shop yet. But I'll bet there's enough room for a Tele single coil in the body - the bridge plate? I wonder if one of the nice aftermarket bridge plates made by Gotoh might be just oversized enough? And the black on gold would definitely have a striking look. But you won't know for sure about the mods until you do an exploratory surgery - you wouldn't need to undo the wiring harness, just loosen the bridge plate enough where you can move it enough to get some measurements. OR...... dare I say it.... get one more TELE?

I know, I'm really not helping much.

Hotrodleroy, fadetoz and JVer like this.
  9. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    What I meant to say was take the mounting screws out of the bridge plate so you can move it around ... duh... while you're thinking about another Tele.

Hotrodleroy and JVer like this.
  10. JVer

JVer Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    Winnipeg
    Since this thread is in the "new member" forum, I think I'm going to start a J5 thread in a more appropriate location soon. When I do, I'll start taking some proper measurements and recording the specs on these guitars there. Hopefully, it'll turn into a "show us your Modded J5Sq!" type thing... maybe that's what I'll name the thread...

Hotrodleroy likes this.
  11. JVer

JVer Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    Winnipeg
    Or, should I/can I just change the title of this thread? Still getting my bearings here, suggestions..?...

Hotrodleroy and wonkenstein like this.
  12. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Threads are free,, start as many as you like..
    everybody needs a new member intro so @Eddie can roast them on their 10 year aniversary.. :D
    I would start a new thread under squier teles for J5 content
    (As long as you allow a few stray fenders also).. :)

13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    We already know there's never enough time or space allotted for the occasional stray. That's really the beauty of stopping in here. It's just a bass, a guitar, an amp, parts....
    It was a Squier that got me here in the first place ...... but it's more than just that.

JVer and Hotrodleroy like this.
  14. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Welcome. I'm happy to enable anyone who PLAYS their guitars. Don't be wasting 'em by casing 'em. Play those beauties - they're dying to sing for you!

15. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    All he needs is more positive encouragement.

SquierTap, wonkenstein and JVer like this.
  16. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    That's exactly right. Positive reinforcement. More instruments to play for good behavior. More positive behavior modification to enable more playing. I could go on.... but I know he's just one more Telecaster away from the best mental and emotional health he's ever experienced. I ain't no doctor but I know what's ailing this guy. Enablers you say?

SquierTap and JVer like this.
  17. JVer

JVer Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    Winnipeg
    Umm... probably more like two Teles away...
    Gold on white. Gold binding.
    ...sigh...

wonkenstein likes this.
  18. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yeah, two more would be better. But there is a real problem here still because I'm not seeing where a butterscotch black guard is figuring in. Corn did mention a conventional Tele was needed. I know he's right on this..... and so do you. :)

19. JVer

JVer Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    Winnipeg
    In regards to the missing Butterscotch Blackguard, I think I've provided a "stop-gap" (pardon the pun) measure...
    It's in the thread I just started in the "Squier Telecasters" forum.

wonkenstein likes this.
  20. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Howdy!

JVer likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice