Douglas Shadow Pro vs. Agile AL2000

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by stratcross, Jan 3, 2011.

1. stratcross

stratcross Squier-Meister

Anyone have an opinion on either of these LP style guitars? I hear nothing but great things about the Agiles,is it worth $100 more?They look kind of similar...

2. peskypesky

peskypesky -----------

the Shadow Pros get consistently rave reviews too.

its very hard to choose between the two. the Agiles are supposedly better, but they cost more. i guess you can't really lose either way.

3. trls23

trls23 Squier Talker

The Shadow Pros used to be priced at $189, not much less than the AL2000. I think the biggest difference is in the fit and finish. The Shadow Pros can sometimes come with high frets and whatnot whereas the AL-2000s usually have decent frets. I think the pots and switch in the Shadow Pro are of lesser quality as well. Overall the new Shadow Pros are very close in quality to the AL2000s. There's a pretty good review on the Agile Guitar Forum.

I've been really close to pulling the trigger on a CSB Shadow Pro myself. If one pops up as a b stock with no serious damage I'm definitely nabbing it.

4. peskypesky

peskypesky -----------

the Shadow Pro price has dropped to $125. very hard to not pull the trigger!

5. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Squier Talker

IMO, yes - Agile.

6. uglyvw

uglyvw Squier-Meister

The agile wins in a side by side, but Douglas is a steal at that price. Plus Kurt has a great return policy if you don't dig it

7. dmitri

dmitri Squier-Nut

^^^this^^^

8. peskypesky

peskypesky -----------

really? hmm...my finger just got a bit tighter on the trigger....

9. GEARHEAD91

GEARHEAD91 Squier-Meister

im thinking of getting either a shadow pro or just throwing in the extra 100 for a agile- but still undecided, so u say the shadow pro was 189, very interesting.....

10. peskypesky

peskypesky -----------

have you seen this new one?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product3996.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. GEARHEAD91

i just seen that they have certain color agile dauntless emgs for 225. im thinking this might be a good deal. im liking the gold one, whats your thoughts?

12. peskypesky

peskypesky -----------

13. dmitri

dmitri Squier-Nut

The Dauntless EMGs are kinda odd pups - no one that I know really likes them much. I think it comes down to for most folks, they just aren't enough of what they want. Like for me and others like me, they are just too metalish and hot. But for the guys really wanting EMG hotness and stuff, they are too weak and tame. Kinda in the middle without anyone to love, you know? Its sad...

That said, the Duncan Designed on the other model of the Dauntless are OK if a tad darker than I usually like. The thing with the Dauntless models is this, though - unless you LOVE the pups, and are gonna keep em, you are basically overpaying for an AL2000. The Dauntless and AL2000 are basically the same guitar with different pups is what I am trying to say. I tend to think that the 2ks and 3ks are the big winners in the AL lineup. But of course, that is just my opinion.

14. woolbrig

woolbrig Squier-holic

15. stratcross

stratcross Squier-Meister

So does anyone know the real difference between the Douglas and the Agile?Is it as simple as one being Korean made and one Chinese made?

16. peskypesky

peskypesky -----------

well, that's definitely a big difference.

17. GEARHEAD91

see i dont mind emgs, and right now they have the one i want for the same price as the 2k so i think i might get it.

18. dmitri

dmitri Squier-Nut

Just remember, they are passive EMG selects - not the active high end ones. I am not a metal guy by any stretch, and usually don't dig EMGs, so I am hardly a snob on this whole question. Just want to make sure that is ABUNDANTLY clear... I have never found someone who actually likes EMGs normally that liked the EMG Selects. Just a heads up. But if you wanna try it, might as well if it is the same price as the AL2k. At that point you have nothing to lose.

19. GEARHEAD91

see i have heard the same thing about the selects but at this point ive got the ole' thinker set on getting one and now when i look at another guitar the dauntless pops in my head, lol.

anyone own a goldtop version? wondering how they look..

20. joeybigO

joeybigO Squier-Meister

Sorry for to mix into this a little late.

I have a Shadow CSB, which in my opinion if the pickups had covers it would be unbeatable. Well, it's just a good choice.

The CSB is cheap (125 when I bought mine 2 years ago) and holds up like a champ. There have been no issues with the guitar, there was no issues with the setup either... Meaning I didn't have to set it up, Kurt at Rondo set it up beautifully. It has super bling on the stop bar, tuners and the knobs. If the tuners fit my Squier, I would have bought those for the Squier, they are that good. It never had/has a buzz, it came with D'Addario Strings and i've never switched to any other brand. The vintage white pickguard and poker chip really set it off for me, and the knobs like I said before are just awesome.

Its big and its beefy, it can be used in place of like maybe a bullet proof vest, but its solid and has Unbelievable sustain. I mean you could probably drill for oil with this thing and it wouldn't damage it.

But thats just me, I know that the Agile's are a bit better, but for the price, the Shadow is AWESOME!!! Almost as awesome as my Squier.

I'm 90% Sure this thing could survive a KISS Concert and still make it out without a scratch.