Does this telecaster look correct?

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by coprod, Jan 23, 2020.

1. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Hoping you Tele guys can tell me if this is a legit 1983/84 SQ Squier Telecaster. Is it correct and original?
    I wasn't sure about the logos but I think it's original. I just don't know if this is correct for 1983/84? No made in Japan, like the Stratocaster.
    The 1st pic you can see the glare that shows the decal is under the clear, for some reason it was worn over the logo area. Which made me take a hard look.
    Wanted your opinions before I close the deal.
    Fyi...played and sounds fine.
    Obviously can't take it apart until I buy it.
    Unfortunately the ( 4-bolt) neckplate has the worst rust, through the serial # but you can make out the SQ.

Thanks again for all the help.

Attached Files:

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Refinished in natural, they never came like that....the butterscotch was more yellow and much more opaque.....pickguard changed....maybe pickups too then? not sure.....but.....

She's legit

It's WELL worth the price you told me for sure

3. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Ok...great!, thanks as always I appreciate your knowledge on these squiers

4. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Ironically I did find 2 old reverb ads where the color looked the same and they listed them as butterscotch blonde? Either way it's all good...I do like the grain showing through the blonde.

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  5. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    This picture is a little more true to the color. You can see the difference in the neck and the body. Thanks again

Attached Files:

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. I wouldn't touch it unless it was a steal or I could see the guts on it. You never know what lurks below after 35 plus years.
    Cheers, Barrie.

7. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    It is a steal, normally they are over $600 US - this one is priced under 400

8. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    This pic is the same guitar/example you're looking to buy? Still looks like a refin to me, more grain showing and less yellow than other examples...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  9. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Yeah, but we gotta save em and keep em going...lol
    Not sure it was a steal, but a fair price.

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I'm skeptical of the tuners being original. Mine SQ has Gotoh markings on the inside of the tuners, not the outside.

SquierTap likes this.
  11. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    I am also...I've searched the web all I see are Fender Japan. Do you know when that style was used? I'm trying to find that out, if its the same era tuner and could have been put on from the factory or not.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Those are a later version but just as good with same construction - it wouldn't bother me......

I mean we're talking about a probable refinished guitar anyway, at a great price....so originality isn't mandatory IMHO

13. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Agree..... I like it regardless. But I do like to learn so I know what I am talking about, nd this is a great site to learn from.

So where is the best place to find a cap/cover for the tuner? or is it an ebay thing..lol

14. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    You can probably buy a single replacement tuner that matches....i don't think you can get just the disc, you'd have to contact Gotoh I suppose.....

15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I was gonna say something about the tuners, but the guys beat me to it, lol... And yeah, I'd say that that's more of a "natural" finish than BSB, but still a beautiful guitar... And hey, I'm probably not the only one that thinks the rust actually looks good on it! Lol...

coprod and Guitarmageddon like this.
  16. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas

17. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    These are from my SQ Strat. They say "Fender Japan"

[​IMG]

18. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Niice looking guitar! Some pictures with the pickguard off could help, but i don’t think it’s a refin, you will find others that have like exactly this coloration. And the pickguard is looking legit for a CTL "SQ" tele. I won’t say something about the tuners because I’m really not sure. These type of tuners with the "gotoh" letters were used for MIJ's but i don’t know when they switched from the "Fender Japan" marked ones to these ones.
    Have a nice time!

coprod likes this.
  19. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    You can see the color is heavier on the sides...and another at a distance the color looks darker...maybe it was sanded down on the front and back and recleared?

Attached Files:

20. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Pulled the neck and cover...here are some pics...maybe useful for others. No date written on heel.
    Would have been nice. I thought it wasn't legit again. But 21frets.com has some reassuring pics and Guitarmageddon told me the same as well. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Rat cam 68 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice