Does the black/white wiring on a Jazzmaster matter?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by rocknpop, Nov 6, 2019.

1. rocknpop

rocknpop Squier Talker

Nov 6, 2019
    Chicago
    Hi guys,

I just did my first soldering experiment today with my Jazzmaster J Mascis. I put in a pair of Pure Vintage '65s. However... I wasn't sure which was the 'hot' wire on the new pickups, so I soldered the black wire to the place where the original black wire was soldered to (the 6 prong switch and the 3 prong switch for the neck and bridge respectively). I soldered the white as the ground in both cases - to the pot and to the opposite side of the circuit as the original wirings were.

The guitar sounds great, but I need to go back in and adjust the height of the pickups by adding foam... turns out the old pickups had quite a bit of a lift from being tall pickups.

Bottom line:
    1) I wired the pickups consistently using the black line as the hot and white as the ground for both pickups - Should I go back in and reverse this? Is there a downside if I am getting a signal? Would the reverse wiring give me a higher output??

2) Let me know if you have any tips on how to bring up the height of these pure vintage '65 pups in the Jazzmaster! :)

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    There shouldn't be a downside to wiring them consistently. Single coil pickups don't have a hot end and a "cold" end, they just have two ends of the winding. As long as you're consistent between the two pickups, everything should work as before.
    (Pickups with a metal shield that is connected to one end of the windings don't have this property, e.g. a Tele neck pickup.)

3. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    @Caddy has this answer I believe....

4. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    Exactly - I did this after following Caddy’s lead, but I’ll let him chime in here and tell you what to watch for.

5. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Meister

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    If it sounds right, then its probably correct. I'd leave it alone.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Not sure if it would change the output or sound, but the black should be the ground. I put a set of Fender '62's in my VM Jazzmaster a couple years ago and it sounded thin and out of phase. Evidently the factory had reversed the wires on one pickup when they soldered the leads on. Switched the wires on one of the pickups and problem solved. Sound great.

Keep in mind that those PV '65 pickups are probably only about 6.75K ohms, so not high output. Vintage wound as they should be for what they are, '65's. They should sound great, as do my '62's.

rocknpop, so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago

Thanks for answering "the call". I knew you had the info for the original poster...

Caddy likes this.
  8. rocknpop

rocknpop Squier Talker

Nov 6, 2019
    Chicago
    Thanks for the input, guys. Very useful. I’ll focus on bringing the pups up to the right height.
    Hopefully I can also eliminate a bit of the noise :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice