Does it matter what bone is used for a bone nut?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by stratman420, May 11, 2019.

1. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've made a few "bone" nuts, shin bone was the recommended bone to use from different builders/luthiers I spoke to or read from.
    Making a bone nut is not a pleasing process, bone dust stinks...

2. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Can't really disagree with that...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia
    I'm seriously questioning whether the OP is really serious here. I can't believe he's considering making guitar nuts from freshly butchered animal bones. Neither the (debatable) cost savings, nor the supposed satisfaction of making your own part, really make any sense here. I'm thinking the OP is either a head-case, or is just pulling our legs. :D

Kenneth Mountain and Jim Belaye like this.
  4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I suppose it needs to be tried, don't know what we can achieve if we don't try, you are correct though when you say there is no cost saving but there is emense satisfaction when you craft something. Personally I would much rather but a tusq nut than go through the smelly hassle of grinding down shin bone.

5. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia
    Sure, I take your point, but there's also something called "the point of diminishing returns" to be considered here. If I'm working on some sort of metal project, I could opt for the " immense satisfaction" (and huge PITA) of forging my own steel rivets......or I could just buy the damn things, LOL !
    Grinding out a couple guitar nuts out of bloody chunks of fresh animal carcass, is taking the concept it a bit far, IMO.
    So, I'm gonna dispute that it "needs to be tried". :D

Kenneth Mountain, Shaytan and drewcp like this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    The bone has to be human.........lol jk....that's morbid

7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Why use metal at all? Just go with all wood right down to the nails. ;)

Obviously the reason is progress. There's a lot of nostalgia and love of tradition in guitar stuff but bone nuts harken back to days when bone just happened to be what was available in terms of a cost-effective material hard enough to do the job yet soft enough to work with. If plastic existed back then, I have to think luthiers would have gladly used it. I don't get any more excited about a bone nut than I do oil lamps and buggy whips...

8. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Well, I've never gone the full route from fresh butchered, but the process is well documented enough and not particularly uncommon even today. It's just a question of scale, time, and convenience.

Yes, having a precut tusk nut sitting about in the correct configuration, ready to go when you decide you need one, sounds convenient on the surface. But if that's not the case, the job of spending a little time and effort to premake your own blanks, vs paying a relatively high price, and waiting for delivery, looks less daunting. YMMV of course.

Kenneth Mountain and stratman420 like this.
  9. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Dispute away man, I'm not here to defend anything or anyone.

10. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I use Graph Tech TUSQ XL and it's an excellent product IMO. I love it.

11. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Yes, I was serious. I wasn't necessarily "considering" doing so, because my nuts are fine, (no joke intended). I really was just wondering if it mattered what bones are used to make guitar nuts. As it was pointed out to me, I realized it would be too much work, and like I said, my nuts are fine, and it would be easier for me to buy a nut than to make one. But as I said, I have access to these bones, so I was wondering if they'd be any use to make bone nuts, and if they were then maybe I'd considering trying it out, just to say I did it myself, as I like tasks, but as has been pointed out to me, it's not really worth it, nor are my bones the preference.

This is a thread from May, so I don't know why it was ressurected, but I wasn't trolling, nor am I crazy, although the way you put it, freshly butchered animal bones does sound pretty metal, lol.

12. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I once even cut down a sheet metal screw to fit for a nut, and once for a bridge on an acoustic guitar.
    It worked fine and you get to put the string in the exact slot you want for spacing...But then I have been to Mars and it is not all it is cracked up to be.Kinda dry and dusty.

13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Normally The Femur from a cow is used because it is dense. No crazy thought what so ever stratman, It was a legitimate question and I'm sure has passed through many guitarists brain, mine included...;)

stratman420 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

someone on here makes bone nuts - I have had a discussion with him - there must be a thread - he laid out his whole process - pretty amazing really -

5ofeight and strat_strummer like this.
  15. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I think this whole thread is pretty metal. I don't think it's a weird question since nuts were made from bone for hundreds or maybe even thousands of years.

16. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    Why isn't a hard wood like Teak or Iron wood used. Just a thought.

17. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    possibly because bone was easier it source and less expensive than the other options, was probably free seeing as back in history folk would butcher the meat themselves..

18. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I could see splitting the difference - buy a bone blank and apply the craftsmanship from there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice