Do you record your gigs for review & critique?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by DADGAD, Feb 11, 2018.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    Is it a good thing to record your gigs for your band mates? As a band member, would you find it useful for improving your chops?

2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Back in the day I did. On a reel-to-reel deck. (What'dya mean "what's that?") ;)

We'd listen to the tapes more for fun than to learn from them. But years later, after conversion to digital, they proved to be a boon, not only for the precious memories but also when several tracks were remastered and then included on the bands 2011 LP and 22012 CD.

I say SAVE EVERYTHING YOU CAN. What today seems no big deal later may prove a life treasure.

Oh, and how I wish we then had had video!!!!

-don

VealCutlet likes this.
  3. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I have a few boom box recordings and a few from the soundboard. Definitely glad for what I have and wish i had saved some more.

so1om and dtsreiuqs like this.
  4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    We record everything all the time. About 4 go-pros on stage, a few digital mics. All practices too.

That's the easy part. It's reviewing it all that takes the time.

Shine and VealCutlet like this.
  5. Shine

Shine Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    I agree, record as much as possible. I also record rehearsals to get a birds-eye view (listen?) of what's going on.

6. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Unfortunately, we barely record our reharsal or gigs... I'm with VealCutLet : yes, it's always instructive.

The only known "quality" recording of my band :

We are very often filmed and recorded by unknown people, but we never see nor have the results...

A+!

VealCutlet, Pat V. and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    When you listened to your recordings, did you critique to improve your playing and did it help?

8. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    That was a lot of fun!

VealCutlet likes this.
  9. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Yes, it did help in a number of ways.

First of all, recording practices let us (and trusted friends) hear what we sound like. If you are able to listen without prejudice, I think it's helpful to find flaws and areas for improvement.

Second - recroding practices helped us find what seemed to work well, and try to build on those good, powerful moments.

However, sometimes practice doesn't tell the whole story. I was in a band where our singer sounded incredibly pitchy in practice. Hearing those recorded practices - several weeks worth - led the rest of us to consider firing him after our next gig. We played the gig, and it was a particularly good one. It was recorded from the board...I listened with the guitar player (I was the drummer) and we couldn't believe how GREAT the singer was...Of course we didn't fire him.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    DADGAD likes this.
  10. Shine

Shine Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    +1

Recording helps in numerous ways . . .

Make sure everyone is playing the same or complementary chords; check volume and timbre between instruments, and so on.

Eric C used to record his efforts (per his autobiography), Letterman would analyze his shows the next morning . . . Good enough for them, good enough for me.

DADGAD and Pat V. like this.