Do You Play by Ear or Are You a Formally Trained Guitarist

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by WNCStratman, Sep 18, 2019.

Do You Play by Ear or Are You Formally Trained

1. Play by Ear

31 vote(s)
    83.8%
  2. Formally Trained

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I said "formally trained" because if I was pressed to identify what has helped me the most, it's the lessons of my youth. I don't have bad habits in terms of fingering, posture, picking technique and because of the "bedrock" of lessons and learning young I can be away from the guitar for long periods and knock the rust off pretty quickly. That said, I can't really read music anymore and since been playing "by ear" much longer...

Jim Belaye and WNCStratman like this.
  2. 808guitar

808guitar Squier Talker

Apr 23, 2018
    Hawaii
    I never took guitar lessons but I was trained on other instruments (brass and woodwinds). I know general music theory but have never tried to play guitar from sheet music. I don't like tabs either, but I'm more of a strummy strummy guy, tell me the chords or at least the key of the song and I'll figure it out eventually.

vlxerdon and WNCStratman like this.
  3. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

A years worth of guitar lessons in junior high school as I wanted to become a big ******* rock 'n roll star and out rock 'n roll other big ******* rock 'n roll stars. Been doing it by ear ever since but lately I've been giving thought to some formal training as a way to learn something new,..
    And I wonder what Van Gogh would have done,....

4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Me & youtube the first few years.
    That just got me to want to know more.
    Started lessons about 2 years ago and I'm glad I did.
    Still don't read music
    Kinda ok with tabs
    What's better from lessons is;
    1.) my understanding of music.
    2.) Where to go/look on the freboard
    3.) The scale modes. I still can't keep them. friggin names straight but I can work em from the 3rd, or 4th, or..you know.

5. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Yes you can get bad tabs, I agree. I try to match the tab to a good lesson on YouTube. The Tab for me is a starting point for learning a new song.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice