Do you like squier guitars "better"?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Often, I've had 2 of the same guitar, a Squier and a Fender. The Fender almost always gets flipped. I just feel more comfortable on the Squier VM's, CV's, and Standards. The Squier feels comfortable as something I have with me, to play when I want to. I don't worry about bumps and such. I'm at a stage when I could afford to buy Fenders, but prefer not to. I feel I can be free with my Squier guitars.. Anyone else have this feeling about Squier (or other 'inexpensive" brands)?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    I also prefer Squier to MIM / MIA Fender....I even owned a $1650 Clapton Artist Series Blackie USA Fender....and got rid of it because I thought my Squier Deluxe was just as good...and it is! (body and neck that is, so I put gold Lace Sensors and Clapton mid boost in it and now it's perfect).

3. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Feels more like "your" guitar that way too.

4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I sold my MIA Special because it wasn't getting any love. My white MIM was sitting in the rack for a year before I loaded a super RRG on it. My NC's are all world's better after installing upgraded pups and harness from RRG. Mike does all the work ... I just put it on.

The differences are stratospheric. Not even close. :)

5. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I've had/have quite a few, (more Squiers than Fenders) through the years and in some cases very close in quality, likeability, etc., however my favorite of all that I've owned is my MIM Standard Fender Strat. It's always been my favorite! I feel it comes down to the one that appeals to you more so than what logo is on the headstock. I can't really generalize to the point that it's gonna be one over the other but I will say despite you guys picking Squier over Fender in general, I'd have to go with Fender. It pretty much comes down to you get what you pay for but there are exceptions, just not generally! I am talking stock, not modded etc.

Las Palmas Norte, Taurus and dbrian66 like this.
  6. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have seen so many great guitars go through my hands. It so sucks to see a friend lose his guitar because his life sucks at the moment.Yeah. I was a pawn broker for a few years . I guess. I've got some stuff that none of you all would believe the price I paid. But I think the DelulxeI paid 300 new is my faveorite. And, yes I feel bad about a lot of what I did there. But I have lost a lot of my ass in life too. It is what is is.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I have a MIA I bought 4 years ago, there is no more than a hour play time on her. I suppose I should sell it.

8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I would rather have 3-5 different guitars, regardless of branding, instead of one.

The “feel” is such a minimal concern for me, as far as the difference between MIA or made overseas. The sonic disparities are easily overcome with new pots, pickups, etc.

Epiphones will always be my first love, then probably Squier, then whatever else. If I can get a 50s CV, 60s CV, and a 70s VM Strat for the cost of one MIA, it’s an easy decision.

9. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I don't have a problem with my MiMs--actually my MiM FR HSS Strat is one of my most used guitars, though most of my guitars are Asian variants (5 Squier, 2 Epiphone) Never owned an American Fender, since I've never found them 'better' enough to be worth the money.

I've owned two American Gibsons, though. One was a ~$1000 sub-studio LP--it was just poorly crafted with no refinement and crap pickups, so it went right back. On the other hand, I owned a gorgeous $1600 Pelham Blue SG Standard. It was absolutely perfect. Lovely pickups, weight, neck, and so on. I almost never played it. It wasn't a conscious thing most of the time, but it stayed in its case almost the whole time I owned it and I was more than a little concerned about damaging it. I sold it in absolutely brand new condition. Someone got an amazing deal on a great instrument.

It illustrated to me that, given our means, each of us determines what is a reasonable price to invest in an instrument. I wish that SG had become my daily player and I'd played the hell out of it, but to me it would have felt like something between ruining a piece of art and taking a baseball bat to my car's quarter panels.

But the thing is that it helped steer me to my happy zone. I love my MiMs. From Bullet to CV I don't have a Squier that isn't great, and I'm looking for more. And my Epihpone LP and Sheraton are just gorgeous sounding, looking, and playing. I love my instruments (and my amps, etc. as well). They don't need to be expensive or rare. They ARE almost all unique though, because I have customized all except the Sheraton, and that'll happen eventually. Hmmm. Maybe some P90s...

Don't Look Back. Get your Peace of Mind. Playing guitar is More that a Feeling. In fact it's Smoking! It might take a Long Time before you're Feeling Satisfied. Look at the path to your sound as beautiful Foreplay. There truly is Something About You!

10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have said this before, my two most expensive guitars, a les Paul and an SG (both Gibson), are my two best playing guitars. They just feel better and found better. But, like what has been discussed countless times before, they are not 10x better. That’s why I have so much fun trying to get entry level guitars to play that nice.

If money were no object, and I could buy as many guitars as I wanted, I would only buy high end stuff. In my experience, they are just nicer instruments.

optofonik, mbroadus, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  11. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I know my best guitars get played less because I'm always afraid something might happen to them. But my cheapest guitars get left leaning on a couch or table or in a corner, and get played more. I like guitars with at least one scar on them, it takes the presure of dinging it off and I can be comfortable with it.

12. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    My MIM Fender Standard Strat will always be no.1 for me, yeah I’ve tried some Squiers (I’d buy a Deluxe Strat if it hadn’t been discounted and could still buy them in shops) but... I chose my MIM over it when buying cos I felt it was better.. did cost about £100 more but was worth it, I’d say. I wouldn’t be able to justify spending over £500 on any guitar though

If I had the money, as a backup I’d probably buy a MIM Duo Sonic (I almost bought the CVC Tele) that was fantastic but think it’d be too nice for a spare. If I was going for a Tele, I’d probably get one of those as main guitar, and of course it’d be more than good enough.

Las Palmas Norte and dbrian66 like this.
  13. With the number of Squier guitars I own, I'd have to say yes … however, I will not part with my '94/5 Fender Stratocaster Plus. It's got a feel and sound I really like.
    The higher end Squier lines need little if anything, and the budget lines can easily be upgraded and customized at a reasonable price. What's not to like? ;)

Cheers, Barrie.

14. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I don't know that like them "better," but I like them just as much and that itself is freakin' amazing.

They play great. They look great. They are very reliable and durable. And in some cases -- the VM line -- are more to my liking feature-wise.

The Jazzmaster and the Jaguar are to me the perfect examples. Classic in all the important feature but with a more modern radius.

I never wish I had a Fender branded one. And the one-such I have -- an American Standard Tele -- it is just wonderful. But apart from things that really matter little except to those caught up in advertising lingo, they are equal.

I'm right now at a stage where the Fender sound is less often what I'm looking for -- thus my attraction to Gibsons and Supros -- but that'll likely cycle again and for when it does my Squiers await. :)

-don

15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Same here. My nicer guitars are all in cases. My Squiers are out on the rack where I can easily grab them.

16. I get the strong suspicion that you're a Boston fan. :D Cheers, Barrie.

17. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Have you guys ever damaged a guitar? I am careful with my guitars, but I’m far from being scared to have them out. Both of my Gibsons are out and easily accessible to play whenever I want. I have a bunch of wall hangers around the room where my guitars are. More expensive stuff goes up on the wall where it’s safe and the Squiers and such are on the floor. But even the stuff on the floor has never been knocked over or anything.

18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Been dang lucky for 60 years. Only one ever damaged, and that by a girlfriend of my son who knocked it off its stand while, if memory serves, putting on her coat.

They're all out on stands all the time, except for two very fine acoustics. And on a strap and in my hands they've never been damaged. Not even in my club-date days.

Age, though, could change that. My reflexes and stability ain't what they were. But apart from care and the use of honest and good judgment -- putting down the guitar when I feel myself getting tired, wobbly, and/or "at risk" -- it' 'just life.' And, I suppose, its only a matter of time.

Quit riding my beloved Ducatis and sold the last of them a few years back. My guitars? Never!

-don

19. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    My mim standard is in the shop right now getting a fret level and crown so I have been playing my Squier the last few days and liking it. My other mim need fretwork also so I have been letting it sit. For some reason my frets on the squier seem harder and dont show signs of wear as bad. I have been really thinking of selling one of the mim's and getting a CV 60. I am heavy handed and have been trying to play easier and even put hybrid 9's on which I should have done a long time ago. I try to keep all my guitar in prestine condition. always in cases and polished after play and always wash my hands before playing. They are too expensive to let go to waste.

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Long winded babbling, skip on by if you want!

I grew up and spent my formative years a die hard Gibson man. Very much as @duceditor describes his LI home, curl around the city to the Upper reaches of Westchester, almost in Putnam County and that area for all the local band and players, Gibson or Gibson clones was all there was. In the entire band, musician circle of 100 or so local people, I remember the one guy that bought a Fender Strat. The harassment and verbal abuse he endured insured no one else made that mistake.

I say this as background.

Fast forward through a lot of years with no electric but usually an acoustic, first Ovation then Alvarez. After my strokes, and winning the battle for Disability I delved into electric guitars again. Being frugal and a bit intimidated by Gibson prices ( A standard with all the trimmings and HS case was around $350 in 1975)I veered off to Jay Turser. Again Gibson clones, just far less expensive. I expressed to my wife I wanted to get a Strat with maple neck, purely out of curiosity. I had never held or played one in just under 40 ish years playing guitar. She remembered the conversation and presented me with a 2002 20th Anniversary Standard in CAR & maple neck for our anniversary.

I disliked almost to despised that guitar. I would play it occasionally mainly out of obligation to utilize what my wife gave me. Nothing about the guitar was liked. Too narrow of body, thin depth body, bolt neck, tinny sounding pickups and I know now was a total distaste for maple. While I had it, it spent most of the time in the case for weeks on end. Fast forward a couple years and my wife caught a deal on a Peavey Limited ESP. It transitioned me to bolt necks because it's 5 bolt neck felt entirely different than the Squier 4 bolt and the Single coils didn't sound like tin at all. Shortly thereafter I bought a MIM Standard Tele with a maple neck.

I joined Squier-Talk after the Peavey, trying to figure out the attraction so many had with Fender style guitars. Like many here, being here Squier's like Tribbles seem to grow from everywhere. My Gibson-esque stable of Tursers and Epiphones grew too, but at a considerably slower pace.

If you asked me what guitar to grab and play, it would have been a Turser or Epiphone. However, in reality I found myself reaching for a NC, 9 times out of 10. When I realized this I was totally flabbergasted. How did that happen? I don't know but it is what it is. Today, NC's totally dominate my modest collection. It's all Squier-Talks fault.:p:D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    alan s, Uncle_B, dbrian66 and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice