Do you ever say no?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by TimTheViking, Jul 18, 2019.

1. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    So, you see something on CL, OU or FBM that you've been gassing for. You spend a bunch of time looking at it, comparing, messaging with the seller and possibly negotiating a price and then meeting to see the merchandise. So after you've checked it all out, you're quite invested. Do you ever find it difficult, let's say, to not relieve yourself of the gas and walk away? Sometimes I find it tough to say "no" and walk away with something maybe I shouldn't have.

Like today. I saw a Seagull S12 (12 sting acoustic) listed as $180. I've been looking for on. I have an S6 that I really like. That's a really good price. However, it was 20+ years old and the picture looked like it was taken in a barn. A lot of the strings were missing. Uh oh. So there was no way to know how it would sound, other than by reputation or if it had any other issues as there would not be the 12-string stress on the neck, top and bridge. I negotiated the guy down to $150 (even though he said his lowest was $160) and decided on a place to meet right next to my bank. So I get there and this thing is pretty rough looking although it does not have any cracks in it and the neck looks ok save a little backbow and a slight hump where it meets the body. With some effort we cracked the truss rod loose to make sure the neck would still adjust. But there was one thing that really bothered me. The bridge was pulled up just slightly from the top and it wasn't even fully loaded up with 12 strings. So I politely said I couldn't take it as it was too risky. I told him he should string it up to concert pitch and leave it there for a couple of weeks and see how the bridge and neck were doing. If it hadn't changed, he could always contact me.

What surprised me? I actually walked away from it. I may not be cured, but maybe I have my GAS a little but under control?

RoyalWe, mb doug, squierbilly and 2 others like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I wouldn't hesitate to turn down a deal, but I wouldn't negotiate until I saw the item and decided I wanted it. I guess I feel that once I negotiate I'm pretty much committing to paying that amount. Also, as you found out with this guitar, it really doesn't do much good to negotiate a price before you really know much about the thing. I would, however, find out if the asking price is firm if I think it's too high, and do that before I start driving to the meeting place.

3. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    The reason I negotiate before hand is so I don't waste my time looking at something I'm not willing to pay the asking price for. I was not willing to pay his asking and I was not interested if I had to pay more than $150. So $150 was an agreed upon price provided there was nothing wrong with it that was not disclosed in the ad. In this case there was so I don't feel bad at all about backing out.

A couple weeks ago I met a gal who had an Affinity HSS and she was asking $70. I was really busy so I told her if she would meet me a couple blocks from my house I'd give her the asking price in cash provided there was nothing wrong with it. When I plugged it into my portable amp, the switch was noisy, the pots all crackled and one of the tone pots was loose. I hated to turn her away after she drove 25 miles in an F350 pickup to bring it to me. So I asked her if she'd take less than that since I'd need to replace the pots and switch. I offered her $50 and she accepted it. When I got it home, I tighten up the loose tone pot and everything is quiet as a mouse now.

I guess we each have our own way when it comes to these deals and there's no right or wrong way as long as we're being honest.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    wonkenstein, mb doug and Triple Jim like this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

What you did isn't very different from what I said. I think I would probably just ask "Is there a little room for negotiation if I like it?" But whatever works and doesn't piss off anyone is a good method. :)

mb doug and TimTheViking like this.
  5. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    I bought a guitar a shouldn't have. It was only $35 bucks, but I should have walked away. I felt bad because I negotiated the price and the girl was willing to meet me at a local department store.

The front was bellied at the bridge and there was a hump in the fretboard where the neck joins the body and it had 2 tuning knobs that were missing.

It's a good wall hanger for a flower pot!

Live and learn.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mb doug likes this.
  6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I seems that every thing good for sale around here is a hour or so away, so I make sure the seller is willing to haggle before I make the trip.

mb doug likes this.
  7. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I think seeing a problem bridge on an acoustic guitar is something I would also walk away from (as hard as it is after you have you mind set on it and worked out a nice price)

mb doug and TimTheViking like this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I almost never walk away, and rarely negotiate in person. My strategy is normally to acquire things at such bargains, that unforeseen problems can be resolved without it being a big deal.

I recently asked a guy to take $10 off his asking price of 100, when a bass had one pickup that didn’t work

mb doug likes this.
  9. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    That is the danger. Feeling guilty when you meet someone. But then again, if they misrepresent what they are selling, we shouldn't feel bad about saying, "Sorry, that's not what I thought I was buying."

mb doug, squierbilly and Photobug57 like this.
  10. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    That's what made it hard to say "no". I have a soft spot for Seagulls. Don't ask me why. Funny thing was I looked at another Seagull S12 and it had a severe intonation issue at the 3rd fret. Almost like is wasn't placed correctly.

11. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I love making deals and try to get the seller to knock something off. Unless it's already way underpriced. Then I just throw them the money, grab the great and run before their sanity comes back.

mb doug likes this.
  12. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I say no often. I passed on an amazing deal because the seller wanted me to do the deal at his apartment in a bad neighborhood. When I looked at his other ads he had really nice gear for sale rock bottom dirt cheap and photos of the stuff in an empty apartment. I go with my gut with people... even when selling I back out if the buyer is acting sketchy. There's a lot of sketchy people in my area. I've also said, "I'll pass" after seeing something up close.

mb doug, drewcp and TimTheViking like this.
  13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

Every time I pull into the parking lot at GC, I get out of the car thinking "No" not today, just looking for strings. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

14. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Smart. Safety and buying gear that isn't hot should always be first. I stay away from bad neighborhoods too.

drewcp likes this.
  15. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
  16. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I find it difficult to say no even if I’ve just asked a store whether they have something in stock and they say yes! However, I've backed out of buying second hand gear a couple of times, because I didn’t like the way the seller was acting. When they start asking questions like where did I see the ad (do they have multiple ads with different prices?) and asking personal questions about my guitars/experience, I don’t like it. Maybe they’re just trying to be friendly but it sometimes feels like they’re trying to make a connection so they can screw me over, in which case I lose interest quickly.

17. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    No.

..... oh!

TimTheViking likes this.
  18. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    I also try to negotiate a price beforehand, but sometimes issues don't show up in pictures or descriptions. Picked up a Silver Creek acoustic that was so out of whack it was hard to tell if it could be set up properly. I told him I didn't want it, and he said make an offer. I made a fair offer (low) given the situation and he accepted.

Went to see a vintage Epiphone Genesis, arranged price beforehand. Had a twisted neck. Said no thanks, and left. Told him about it too, but not sure if he ever told future buyers.

TimTheViking likes this.
  19. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I just purchased an epi les paul a couple of weeks ago. Told him the picture looked better than the guitar first hand and he did not mention the jack hanging on by 1 screw or the 3 position switch didn't work in rythm mode. Started at $250 told I will come look at it if he took $200. Pretty bad shape but was only 9 years of grunge. I dont think he ever cleaned it.sh So I offered $100 and told him about $100 in parts to fix so I got it for $125. We were both happy.

TimTheViking likes this.
  20. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Passed on a GAS induced Squier bass vi trade offer. I’m person, it just wasn’t what I’d hoped it’d be. As for your acoustic fiasco @TimTheViking , I’d run from that too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice