disappointed in current stratocaster models

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Raabje, Nov 11, 2019.

1. JVjunky

JVjunky Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    In the UK the new Indonesian CV guitars are cheaper than the Chinese CV's used to be, and the Indo CV's are really just slightly upgraded VM guitars. That may be the reason why the quality is perceived to be lower. My only experience with an Indo CV has been with a 70's HSS Strat. It was OK, but I didn't like the larger headstock.

I don't think there's any likelihood that Fender will introduce a more high end Squier series as the reason for changing to Indonesian production was to widen the gap between Squiers and the Player Series.

drneilmb likes this.
  2. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I think there is scope for higher end Squiers. But they would have have to be unique or reissued models not currently in the Fender catalogue.

3. Raabje

Raabje Squier Talker

Oct 1, 2019
    Amsterdam
    Not a strat, but I bought this one, that's certainly not disappointing. A 2011 Jagmaster, alder body, rosewood fretboard, Dimarzio Super Distortion at the bridge position.

[​IMG]

Could use a PAF humbucker in the neck position, maybe a Tonerider Alnico 4.

This one has cured my gear lust for a brand new Squier, 5 electric guitars in the house, that should do. They don't make 'm anymore like they used to do....

squierbilly likes this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I like the new CV series more than the old ones, even if they have slightly cheaper saddles, pickups covers, and knobs, they still play and sound better to me than the previous Chinese made ones. I love the new Alnico pickups on my CV 70s Strat. I think they sound better than the Tonerider sourced ones on the Chinese CV Strats, and I liked those pickups a lot, so that's really saying something. As for the other lines, I think the Player series is a major improvement over the Mexican Standard series, with much better pickups, 22 fret necks, and American style 2 point bridges. I think that the Vintera series are too expensive, 'cause for just a little more you can get the AMAZING Am Performer Strat, with the incredible Yosemite pickups. I think the Am Pro series is also stellar, although I replaced the V-Mod pickups on mine with some that sound more vintage and less modern. And I think the Am Original Series are also overpriced at $2k, 'cause they really don't cost any more to build than the Performer or Pro, just like the Vinteras don't really cost any more to build than the Players. To me, the CV, Player, and Performer are the ones that offer the best guitars at the sweetest prices. I have no use for the Bullet, Affinity, or Standard series Squiers, 'cause the CVs are just too much better for a still great price. If you're gonna spend $200 on an Affinity, you might as well spend $150 more for a CV.

5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    That is high praise from you reference the Aff Tele. One of the OP's dislikes of the Aff Strat is the narrow nut. What is the nut width on the Tele? Thanks.

6. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It is narrow.

That bothers some players a lot. Others not very much at all.

I'd not have even noticed it if others had not mentioned it. I pick up a guitar and in minutes I'm at home on it.

The same is true, btw, for subtle differences in neck shape. Means a heap to some. Others? "Meh."

-don

Loin Lover likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I don't have a problem with the agathis body on my 2005 Squier Standard Strat. (The HH mod was to replace the original electronics and pickguard that were ruined when I bought it.)

29295425250_230dd1a7a2_o (2).jpg

squierbilly likes this.
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I got up this morning with this thread having risen to the more recent. I'm trying to stay nice but sometimes posters, especially with no empathy, or rational, make me ill.

The $200 Affinity might well not be the best Squier in the stable, but, you never know the others circumstances. That guitar may have been saved for, or scrimped to accumulate disposable money. The person may not know or understand the used Squier market and/or they simply want a new guitar. To say spend an extra $150 based on your personal tastes, might well put that completely out of reach. Or such as myself, I would never spend that much for any Squier(or other bolt neck), the models I collect more than perfect and entirely sufficient for my needs.

We talk about cork sniffers a lot here, usually for parent or other brands but it is certainly possible to be a cork sniffer within the Squier brands. Everyone has their on row to hoe, but just because you don't have an issue, does not mean someone else does not.

9. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

If ya don't like the current offerings, don't buy one...easy peasy

jefffam and so1om like this.
  10. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I will wait before i suggest any of the following is the case, as i have not had the opportunity to play any of the new indo CVs, but heres my take on the woods. Having owned a lot of teles with ash and alder bodies, my CV50s china model is the biggest fullest fattest tele i have ever had, and i've put all the same parts and pickups in it i have always used in tekles for years now. AVRI bridge, tried all my saddles, same pups i put in all teles.Theres no doubt in my mind the pine body is the reason this thing sounds so different from all the other teles i have owned.

That said, the new indo 50s strat with pine body may well be a god send for strat players who are always searching for a fatter bigger bridge p/u sound. I would be wilig to bet these will sound huge. Better? No, huge, DIFFERENT, but subjective. But to those like i said who are always looking for that huge fat strat, they may well be it.

Then theres the 60s with a nato body and indian laurel neck. I'm one who hears fingerboard differences and i have concerns how IL will differ from rosewood which tonally is my favorite board wood. But i have no idea what it will be like. Nato on the other hand worries me because what i have read about it many times researching it is it's very much like mahogany. That and the fact the pics of it do look pretty much spot on to mahogany has me thinking i'm not going to like these because every mahogany body fender style guitar i have owned or played was really bright. Yes, i realize gibsons are dark but thats due to many other factors. HOG is brighter than ash and alder, so nato if i had to wager is going to make those strats sound thin. I will reserve judgment on nato and IL till i try one because i really want to check out the 60s tele which will have the same woods.

The rest i am not sure about but i did play both poplar and maple bodied 70s thinlines (the burst is poplar, natural is maple) and i think those have potential tho i'm not sure yet. The 50s tele will still be pine which as i said sounds great, tho it IS different than ash or alder teles. In short, my biggest worry about the new line and the wood they are using is all about nato and indian laurel. Just have to wait and see, but i doin't have high hopes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice