disappointed in current stratocaster models

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Raabje, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Raabje

Raabje Squier Talker

Oct 1, 2019
    Amsterdam
    not a question, just a thought

I have bought a Chinese CV50 a few months ago. That guitar is just flawless. So I thought, maybe get another Squier Stratocaster. But in the current line of models every model has some flaws for me:

Bullet: basswood, cheap tuners, body size
    Affinity: small nut & string spacing
    Standard: agathis body
    Contemporary: 12 inch radius, colored headstock
    Indonesian CV's: weird body wood (nato, pine, poplar?)

I don't like IL or PF for the fretboard but that has to be accepted. Best Stratocaster for me would be a second hand Chinese CV60 with rosewood fretboard, or a Bullet that I can modify later. My son has a Bullet Mustang, and it's a nice guitar, but has a stiff feeling in the neck. The new CV50 with the pine body could be something, if I can try it first.

fadetoz, Taurus, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  2. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I was dead set against every kind of fretboard except Rosewood and Maple... Then I bought a Bullet Mustang with Indian Laurel. I gambled and it's great. I got a Ibanez RG with Jatoba wood fb. It's a Wizard III neck. It's amazing.

TEXINGA and dbrian66 like this.
  3. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    I love mine, sorry you got burned, should have taken it bake and picked up a good one. Did you buy new or used?

VM70s Indo!
    xivie 166.jpg

CV70s Indo!
    xivie 167.jpg

VealCutlet, Robb, Mr Bones and 3 others like this.
  4. Raabje

Raabje Squier Talker

Oct 1, 2019
    Amsterdam
    I bought a Chinese CV50 from Music Store, and it's a perfect guitar, fretwork, finish, setup, pickups, no problems. Just as nice as my USA 2105 standard, only little problem with the CV50 is the volume pot, it's not sensitive below 7. I can fix that myself with a new CTS pot.

But the other models, don't know yet. Thinking about a Bullet with some mods, if I can find a nice one. My 10 year old son can use it too, and wreck it. I will try the CV's when I see them in a store. For that kind of money I like my guitar's to be a little more vintage correct with an alder body. And a Bullet with mods will cost 250-300 euro, and a CV 350, that's not a big gap. If the Bullet is nice as it is, than it's a good deal. I can live with basswood, Fender Japan and Suhr uses this too :)

I tried the ash body Cort G260DX and G260 OP and that guitars where a little bit too rough, not a smooth and slick feeling. CV70 is a Cort guitar, and CV50 and CV60 is Samick factory, right?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It's good to know what you like and what you don't. The "reason" doesn't matter -- i.e., it need not be justified to others. Only to one's self.

Nothing on your list would in and of itself make me reject a guitar, unless I played it and found it personally wanting.

What's odd is that any Strat is to me "wanting." Fender. Squier. No name brand. The shape. The controls position. None work for me. But Squier Teles? I've yet to find one I don't like. And the VM offsets are to me shear bliss.

Again, that's just me. Interesting differences though, no?

-don

6. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    That's the beauty of the free market system; if enough people share a similar opinion for long enough and stop buying, Fender will need to reassess the Squier line, or certain models in the line, and see what they can do to improve upon things.

Either that or another maker's guitars around the same price point will start getting more business.

I'm in favor of replacing employees with capital then putting the money saved back into the product, but every company has their methods.

If guitarists are unwilling to pay what the owners of many other types of instruments do then there's no getting away from the possibility of occasional dips in in quality, construction, and materials, in my observation.

7. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    The items you mention fretboard wood and body wood, if you are just concerned about the wood type go here https://www.guitarfetish.com/Factory-Buyout-Clearance-Sale_c_410.html but Chinese electronics, and over all workmanship is like everything else they produce over rated and most of it is just good for spare parts.

Here in NY City the pawn shops are full of cheep Chinese Strats for little money and you can see just after a few years the thing falls apart. Frets loose, fretboard cracking.

Like I said buy new from Fender, if you get a “bad” one they take it right back.

8. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    If ya arent liking the new stuff ya might wanna spend some spare time uploading images of Japanese Squiers from the 80's into your brain... Ive seen folks from your parts of Europe just get crazy deals on old MIJ Squiers and post threads about them on this site. Seems that sometimes there just isn't the massive group of people ready to pounce on a used Squier like there is over here. I forget what his name was but the guy lived pretty close to where you are. And must have scored like 5 or 6 old early JV Squiers for like 250 bucks or less per pop. He was finding one like every 6 months or so... For almost nothin...

drewcp likes this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    So much depends on how things are used and cared for.

No offense, but people who put things into 'hock' often have what can kindly be called a 'care free' approach to much of life.

None of my 5 Squiers has had any failures. Not one.

The oldest -- an Affinity Tele -- dates from `04. It has been played enough that the bare wood is showing in some areas of the maple fingerboard. It is as "good" now as the day I got it 15 years ago.

And mind you it has been not only played, but out on a stand in a non temperature or humidity controlled space for all that time. Never cased.

-don

bsb Tele.jpg

bgmacaw, Loin Lover, rorygman and 8 others like this.
  10. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Flaws? Do you not like these characteristics because you've tried them?

These are my relevant guitars...

I have a 2018 MII Bullet in Sparkle Red. I had a 2018 MII in Seafoam Green. I have a 2015 MIC in pink.

These are my relevant opinions...

Bullet:
    - Basswood. It's guitar wood. A bazillion basswood guitars, especially shredder guitars.
    - Cheap tuners. They are, they're sloppy and annoying. Strung correctly, they work fine.
    - Body size. A fraction thinner. Doesn't matter. Sometimes too shallow for a standard switch.

Affinity:
    - Small nut. I switch between my fat-necked Baja 50s Tele and my Affinity Strat.
    - String spacing. The same, and I play cowboy chords.

Standard:
    - Agathis body. Guitar wood. It's a connifer like the pine they used in MIC CV 50s Teles.

Contemporary:
    - 12 inch radius. You like it or you don't. I don't.
    - Colored headstock. You like it or you don't. I do.

Indonesian CV's:
    - Weird body wood. None of it is weird. It's all guitar wood.
    - Nato. One of a dozen close cousins of mahogany. Lots of "mahogany" guitars are nato.
    - Pine. What they've made those great MIC CV 50s Teles out of since the mid-2000s.
    - Poplar. My favorite guitar is a poplar '97 Fender James Burton Standard Tele.

Take time and observe as the new stuff gets bought, played, and posted about, fellow member. As these guitars are released, and taken for "shakedown" cruises by their owners, and initial manufacturing issues are resolved, things will be clearer. Please don't be hasty to judge features without trying them. Play on!

Jim Belaye, mbroadus and drewcp like this.
  11. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    101_0382.JPG I just got an Indonesian CV 70s Strat, and although a few things aren't as nice as the Chinese CV ones (bridge saddles, vibrato action, pickup covers, switch), for the most part it's just as nice, and there are some things I actually prefer (neck profile and playability, pickups, overall sound quality). It does feel a little cheaper than a Chinese CV, so it's maybe more like a VM, but like a VM, I prefer the slightly beefier neck, non tinted gloss finish on the neck, and lighter weight. And, I don't know if it's the poplar body, the new pickups, or a combination of both, but I love the sound of this guitar. It has the same overall tonal balance of alder, but seems a bit warmer and sweeter, more delicate, and more expressive and dynamic than my Chinese CV 60s Strat, without the sometimes strident and brittle sound that alder can have. Since I got it I can't put it down, and it really seems to bring out the best from all my favorite overdrive pedals. The IL looks a little light and dry, but, after I oil it, it may look nicer. And, like PF, it feels a little harder under my fingers than rosewood, but might sound a little closer to rosewood than PF, which to me has a slightly brighter and harder tone than rosewood. We'll see if I'm still just as much in love after the honeymoon ends.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Mr Bones and mbroadus like this.
  12. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier-Meister

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    If you didn't know the label of wood from which they are made, would you care? I am lusting after a new Standard with the Indian Laurel fret board. In truth, I seldom press hard enough to feel the wood, but for reasons unknown, certain fret boards feel physically cold to me.

VealCutlet and TEXINGA like this.
  13. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier-Meister

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    Sometimes I wish there were a "Lust" button.
    Those two make me drool.

Mr Bones and TEXINGA like this.
  14. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I too have had zero quality issues with any Squier I've owned, one going back to 1999. As far as body wood goes, magnets don't pick up how wood sounds. If you start talking acoustic guitars, thats a different story. It's meaningless on electrics. Then why does "so and so" use "such and such"? To justify cost, to make you think you're getting something super special.

In the end though, its your cash...you do you. Personally, I'd rather have a bunch of cash in the bank than a flashy name.

Caddy, TEXINGA and SquierTap like this.
  15. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    I guess I am not good enough player to really see a difference. About the only guitar I have that I cant deal with is a mim squier with trap tunners. It just will not stay in tune. But even that doesnt bother me to much.

Mr Bones likes this.
  16. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I have a VM Jaguar, but that is about top end for me. I'm very satisfied with my NC Squier Strats, P-Bass and my YN Tele & YN P-Bass Special. They will do far more than I'm able. As far as age, all NC/YN's are at least 22 years old. NONE are falling apart, body, fretboard, electronics, tuners, pickups, etc. I have Chinese & Indonesian Squiers. All are serviceable, but I do prefer the Yako built Chinese.

We just have to hope it doesn't rain in NYC or GA or there might be a drowning. Shame.

Mr Bones likes this.
  17. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Both my Squier strats were made over 10 years ago. Nothing's fallen off , or broken, in fact they tough as nails and look in showroom condition, I do baby them a bit but they both had previous owners and no issues whatsoever

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Mr Bones, TEXINGA and jefffam like this.
  18. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    Thanks

19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Correction- I mistakenly said that my new CV 70s Strat has tone control on all 3 pickups (since corrected). In true vintage fashion there is no tone control on the bridge pickup.

Guitarmageddon and Mr Bones like this.
  20. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm down to three Squiers at the moment: a Bullet and two NC's. I think I've owned over a hundred Squiers over the past two - three years. I've tried lots.

I've tried the upper tier Squiers. None stuck. CV, VM, Contemporary. None felt like I wanted them to feel.

But I'm always on the lookout for more NC's ... and the occasional Standard. Hoping for some pre-holiday panic sales. :)

Mr Bones likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice